Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen Garvan (merged)

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
You know what's f***ing hilarious? Palace have been giving it the big 'I am' recently - but there's barely been any scum on NSC for the last couple of years. All the time we actually were shit, they stayed away. And as soon as we're overtaking them suddenly they crawl out the woodwork telling us how superior they are. They are absolutely SHITTING themselves at the prospect that we're going in opposite directions, and they fall back on "flatpack stadium" and "Poyet will leave" because they play in a shithole, they live in a shithole, their football is f***ing awful and they're always going to be the little brother to the other London teams. Jealousy is an ugly trait. Go back to Croydon and have a glance at the league table. We're already above you x

No mate, reason i signed up was to shut up the deluded idiots on here (about 70% of the posters). So much arrogance flying about!

And shitting it over you lot? Hilarious. You had a decent season last year in a poor league but you've lost 2 of you're best players in Bennett or Murray and replaced them IMO with mediocre signings. And all ready above us? Well done... it won't last.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
We have a better team than you and will comfortably finish above you.

in which is a supposed "new dawn", your best player decided to see the light and join their rivals. You really will always live in Palace's shadow

We'll see mate, we'll see. What's funniest about that whole sentence is the bit where you think Palace even have a shadow. Noddy club. And the difference is, you've only had the opportunity to be above us because when we were in the shit financially, do you know what we did? This is a novel idea...we paid our debts. And DIDN'T spend money we didn't have. And DIDN'T rob from cancer charities and local businesses. Would you believe it? It may seem an alien concept to a bunch of clueless, thieving, pikey numpties as yourselves but the only reason Murray 'saw the light' was because we let him go. We just dropped 100m on a new stadium. If we wanted to go pay him silly money and go into admin we would have. But we don't, unlike you. Nice to see you learn from your mistakes.

nawtygully

Aug 6, 2010
crystal palace and danny wotever ..you are like the hinge and brackett of this thread.. sad .. deluded.. and funny !!

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
My two cents on Garvan :

He has a good range of passing and likes to play football which is a start, but his worrying lack of pace and inability to tackle (one of the main reasons he was dropped) would make me happy to sell him.

Ipswich fans were happy to see the back of him and I couldn't understand why considering he was 22 when he left, still very young. It didn't take long to understand why though, to get the best out of Garvan you'd have to play a big and strong defensive midfielder which we didn't have and I'm not sure Bridcutt is that player either. Put him next to a Shaun Derry type player and he may well flourish.

If anyone can get the best out of him, Poyet can. I'd be quite happy to get rid though as he wouldn't get in our starting 11 next season.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
We'll see mate, we'll see. What's funniest about that whole sentence is the bit where you think Palace even have a shadow. Noddy club. And the difference is, you've only had the opportunity to be above us because when we were in the shit financially, do you know what we did? This is a novel idea...we paid our debts. And DIDN'T spend money we didn't have. And DIDN'T rob from cancer charities and local businesses. Would you believe it? It may seem an alien concept to a bunch of clueless, thieving, pikey numpties as yourselves but the only reason Murray 'saw the light' was because we let him go. We just dropped 100m on a new stadium. If we wanted to go pay him silly money and go into admin we would have. But we don't, unlike you. Nice to see you learn from your mistakes.

And the years before Goldberg and Jordan?

And what a scummy comment about the cancer charities by the way, why not cut out the bullshit eh? If you must know, our fans got together to raise the money for St John's ambulance, funny how you miss that though?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
No mate, reason i signed up was to shut up the deluded idiots on here (about 70% of the posters). So much arrogance flying about!

And shitting it over you lot? Hilarious. You had a decent season last year in a poor league but you've lost you're 2 of you're best players in Bennett or Murray and replaced them IMO with mediocre signings. And all ready above us? Well done... it won't last.

As I said mate, we'll see. It's not delusion, it's just enjoying being so underrated. You can't see what's in front of your eyes, that we've just caught up with you. You think it's arrogance but it's FACT. Same division, same size ground. Except we've got a better manager, a more savvy businessman running things and twice the season ticket holders you have. Come the end of the season, we'll be 10th-15th, you'll be 15th-20th. Annoyingly I think you'll stay up again. But you won't finish above us because Ambrose, Danns, Clyne...they're all on the way out. Rats...ship...sinking...familiar?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

And what a scummy comment about the cancer charities by the way, why not cut out the bullshit eh? If you must know, our fans got together to raise the money for St John's ambulance, funny how you miss that though?

Wasn't a reflection on your fans. It was one on your club. There isn't a club in the land who if the fans got wind of the charities their club had mugged off, wouldn't have a whip round. And though it pains me to say it, good on you for doing so. My point was, your club shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place, but you chase the dream by spending money that wasn't yours. And now you're getting what's coming to you as you have to fight and scrap like we have for 20 years, and we're in the ascension again, you can't stand the heat. I look forward to this season, I can't wait for the excuses when we do finish above you.

Chrystal Palace

SJ's Fake Tan
Sep 6, 2009

Wasn't talking about you you muppet.

Anyway, in short, I expect us to reject your bid, but much more and we really should consider it.

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
My two cents on Garvan :

He has a good range of passing and likes to play football which is a start, but his worrying lack of pace and inability to tackle (one of the main reasons he was dropped) would make me happy to sell him.

Ipswich fans were happy to see the back of him and I couldn't understand why considering he was 22 when he left, still very young. It didn't take long to understand why though, to get the best out of Garvan you'd have to play a big and strong defensive midfielder which we didn't have and I'm not sure Bridcutt is that player either. Put him next to a Shaun Derry type player and he may well flourish.

If anyone can get the best out of him, Poyet can. I'd be quite happy to get rid though as he wouldn't get in our starting 11 next season.

You have hit the nail on the head with that summary.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

That is very true the fans did pay the money back, what a shame the four oh so rich owners didn't have the decency to do the same instead of letting their fans try and keep the name of Crystal Palace. Still they did say they were reluctant buyers and if someone came along and made a good offer they would be off. That alone must fill you full of confidence.

Chrystal Palace

SJ's Fake Tan
Sep 6, 2009
Wasn't a reflection on your fans. It was one on your club. There isn't a club in the land who if the fans got wind of the charities their club had mugged off, wouldn't have a whip round. And though it pains me to say it, good on you for doing so. My point was, your club shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place, but you chase the dream by spending money that wasn't yours. And now you're getting what's coming to you as you have to fight and scrap like we have for 20 years, and we're in the ascension again, you can't stand the heat. I look forward to this season, I can't wait for the excuses when we do finish above you.
All of you say is, pretty much, true. There are some slight points I could argue on, but at the end it will all come down to that.

However, we too are on the up. New owners and Dougie (whatever you lot may think of him) have a very good plan for the future of our club, and we are in a rebuilding process. Perhaps you will finish above us - recent League One promoted sides' records would suggest you will compared to our recent record. But the thing is so many Brighton fans will say we are on the decline etc, which could not be further from the truth. We are on the up, but last summer we had 8 senior players, and Burley came in and bought in players suited to his style, now Dougie is in charge and has a completely different style of player in his mind, so we need to rebuild again.

I am not using this as an excuse behind finishing, if we do, below you next season, nor am I saying we definitely will, I am just pointing out that both clubs have reason to be optimistic in the future, though you obviously have the momentum of winning the league which is, no matter what people say, incredibly important in this league.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
As I said mate, we'll see. It's not delusion, it's just enjoying being so underrated. You can't see what's in front of your eyes, that we've just caught up with you. You think it's arrogance but it's FACT. Same division, same size ground. Except we've got a better manager, a more savvy businessman running things and twice the season ticket holders you have. Come the end of the season, we'll be 10th-15th, you'll be 15th-20th. Annoyingly I think you'll stay up again. But you won't finish above us because Ambrose, Danns, Clyne...they're all on the way out. Rats...ship...sinking...familiar?

Sounds good on paper but your just spouting what you want to here. Well done, you've listed our decent players but then you ruin it by saying there all be off. I'm sure you'd love that (suprised you didn't mention Speroni?) But where's the FACTS to suggest this? A couple of snippets in the People newspaper, IT MUST BE TRUE!

You have a better ground, i'll give you that. But we have a new stadium on the horizon.

Season ticket sales: Last year you had 4000. This year, it's increased massively due to the glory hunting plastic fans that have jumped bandwagon. There soon be on there way once your down the bottom off the league losing to the likes of Barnsley on a cold January evening...

Savvy buisnessman? I'd rather our board over Bloom anyday, isn't his fortune mainly from gambling?

How have you got a better manager? When Freedman came in we were 23rd and going down. We finished 6 points clear and that included a 8 game home spell where we didn't concede a goal. Not bad. Poyet has done a fantastic job but you can't judge the 2 because circumstances were different.

I think you'll stay up if Gus stays. But that's a big if.

Eastbourne

Jun 4, 2011
That is very true the fans did pay the money back, what a shame the four oh so rich owners didn't have the decency to do the same instead of letting their fans try and keep the name of Crystal Palace. Still they did say they were reluctant buyers and if someone came along and made a good offer they would be off. That alone must fill you full of confidence.

They changed their tone on that:

"That is complete and utter bollocks. Don't worry about that. We may have been reluctant buyers originally, only stepping in because no-one else would, but we absolutely love owning Palace. CPFC is not for sale. No way. Steve Browett."

CPFC BBS - View Single Post - Questions to CPFC2010 ** QUESTIONS ONLY ** Summary on Page 1 updated 25 May 2011

As much as I enjoy the banter, lying only gives them more ammunition.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

"That is complete and utter bollocks. Don't worry about that. We may have been reluctant buyers originally, only stepping in because no-one else would, but we absolutely love owning Palace. CPFC is not for sale. No way. Steve Browett."

CPFC BBS - View Single Post - Questions to CPFC2010 ** QUESTIONS ONLY ** Summary on Page 1 updated 25 May 2011

So you are a Palace fan, how would a Brighton fan see or know about this quote?

Ref post117 in this thread

Last edited:

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota

Who gives a f""k really? As long as we stay a well ran club then there will be no more axe to grind. We may have been in admin twice which is shameful but we've always been ran by Palace fans. I'd rather that than become a Cardiff who dissolve all their debts by bringing foreign crooks in.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Sounds good on paper but your just spouting what you want to here. Well done, you've listed our decent players but then you ruin it by saying there all be off. I'm sure you'd love that (suprised you didn't mention Speroni?) But where's the FACTS to suggest this? A couple of snippets in the People newspaper, IT MUST BE TRUE!

You have a better ground, i'll give you that. But we have a new stadium on the horizon.

Season ticket sales: Last year you had 4000. This year, it's increased massively due to the glory hunting plastic fans that have jumped bandwagon. There soon be on there way once your down the bottom off the league losing to the likes of Barnsley on a cold January evening...

Savvy buisnessman? I'd rather our board over Bloom anyday, isn't his fortune mainly from gambling?

How have you got a better manager? When Freedman came in we were 23rd and going down. We finished 6 points clear and that included a 8 game home spell where we didn't concede a goal. Not bad. Poyet has done a fantastic job but you can't judge the 2 because circumstances were different.

I think you'll stay up if Gus stays. But that's a big if.

As I understand it Speroni wants to stay, which is why I didn't include him. Danns and Clyne have been quoted in multiple places as being on their way. Ambrose as your best player will attract attention like Bennett did for us.

New stadium on the horizon - yeah ours was on the horizon for a decade. If you do get one, fair enough, but it won't be happening any time soon.

We actually had over 5000 STHs I believe. And although there are some JCLs and plastics on board, yes, there are also a large number of returning fans. This is my first year of being a STH as I couldn't afford it before. I have supported Brighton since I was a kid. I'm not the only one in this situation.

Bloom has not made his fortune through gambling. He's made it by owning gambling websites and property development. He's made approximately £2m from poker winnings. I haven't done my research? Do me a favour.

When Gus came in we were down the bottom of our league. He put us into top 6 form to finish mid-table, then raped the league the first full season he had. I'd say they're pretty comparable.

And yes, 'if' Gus stays. But I think you might be surprised how long he does stay with us. Every Brighton fan knows he will move on eventually, nobody is deluding themselves of that fact. But he has a chance, in his first job, with complete fan and board backing, in a new stadium, with money to spend, to entirely build his vision. It's like a game of football manager come to life. He can do what he wants, he has carte blanche. There's not many clubs that would give him that chance, and he's an intelligent man, he knows it. He's in no hurry to move on. That day will come, but it won't be for 2-3 years OR if Chelsea/Zaragoza came knocking. Chelsea just spent 14m on a new manager from abroad. Something tells me they aim higher than rookie with a league 1 medal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here