Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Overseas Brits, register here to vote!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
As much as I'd like to f*** the Tories, it doesn't feel right to vote in a election of a place I haven't lived in for 20+ years.

I used to feel that way (I haven't lived in the UK for 36 years), but the way the Tories have been screwing with all my family and friends in the UK for the past decade and more means I'll do anything within my power to support my loved ones. The UK government has given me back my vote, so I'm using it against them.

Last edited:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
The 2m Brits living in Spain, France and Portugal include a load of older folk who went to escape Woke and (ironically) immigrant Britain. Overwhelming the soya latte hipsters sniffing around Brussels and The Hague.

Natural Reform and Tory voters.
Don't paint us all with the same brush. :) I know what you mean though. I seem be see a lot of Brexiteers for some strange reason. As for Immigration moaners, they soon shut up when I tell them they are economic migrants.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Don't paint us all with the same brush. :) I know what you mean though. I seem be see a lot of Brexiteers for some strange reason. As for Immigration moaners, they soon shut up when I tell them they are economic migrants.
I for one wouldn't shut up if you called me an economic migrant! I choose to live here, pay all my taxes to the Spanish government and do not expect or wish to receive a single cent from the said government in return. Your statement may have been correct pre BREXIT and the Withdrawal Agreement with all the 'illegals' living under the radar but for the law abiding citizen now the statement does not stand.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I for one wouldn't shut up if you called me an economic migrant! I choose to live here, pay all my taxes to the Spanish government and do not expect or wish to receive a single cent from the said government in return. Your statement may have been correct pre BREXIT and the Withdrawal Agreement with all the 'illegals' living under the radar but for the law abiding citizen now the statement does not stand.

I was generalising and yes that’s not a good thing to do. Before Brexit I met quite a few in favour of it and was amazed at their logic. Less of them now and quite a few have gone back since because of the Residencia requirements.

What I actually say to people is that I am an economic migrant and leave it up to them how they interpret themselves. It usually finishes the topic and we move onto other things.

As for taxes I don’t pay tax on my government pensions that have already paid UK tax but do pay tax on my OAP because it comes under my UK tax allowance. I am happy to pay this as `i like to feel I am contributing to this country that has made me feel very welcome.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Shh. Don't tell my Trump loving brother in Orange County, Ca. He'll give a vote to Reform.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same. I chose to live exactly where I live; I brought my work with me.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Last address.
I've been registered as an overseas voter for nearly ten years now. I always vote in the GE but unfortunately my last address was in a 'blue-rosette-on-a-lettuce' type constituency, thus to all intent a dead vote. Frustrating as previously I was East Worthing and Shoreham where in the upcoming GE every vote will very much count.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Interesting the Tories did this, my only guess is they thought somehow they'd secure more votes on the back of it.

5.5m Brits living overseas
Yep. They wouldn't have done it if not potentially voteworthy for them. Spanish pensioners and Australia/NZ migrants who remember the bad ol days of the 70s no doubt being at the forefront of their thinking.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Fails now for me when they ask for my NI number. I did have one, at one time, but I obviously have zero idea what it is. You can, apparently, recover it, with a valid passport, which I don't have, since mine expired.
Alright, I tried doing it without bothering with the NI number. We'll see what happens. The worst they can tell me is to f**k off.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Just got an email from B&H electoral services:

You are due to be sent a postal vote for the forthcoming UK Parliamentary general election on Thursday 4 July. Your postal vote is due to be dispatched by 19 June.

So...I guess they took my attempt to register. Exciting.

June 19th is cutting it a bit fine though...I have some Christmas cards sent from the UK turn up in February.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Especially as the reason that Brexit passed was that Cameron thought he’d save a million quid by not organising a vote for UK citizens resident in the EU
UK citizens overseas were allowed to vote in the referendum. The standard 15 year rule applied. Nothing to do with anything Cameron did or didn’t do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just got an email from B&H electoral services:

So...I guess they took my attempt to register. Exciting.

June 19th is cutting it a bit fine though...I have some Christmas cards sent from the UK turn up in February.
Cool. Im pleased you persevered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here