Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Overseas Brits, register here to vote!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Their site seems a little cagey about actually spelling out whether or not you can or can't vote. I've been out of the UK since the late 90's and never bothered to vote from abroad. I looked at it once, but it seemed like a massive faff to register at the time (I think you had to find another Brit - who isn't family, to vouch for you, which seemed too much for an introvert like me).

My UK passport is long since expired (since I have a US one now) anyway. As much as I'd like to f*** the Tories, it doesn't feel right to vote in a election of a place I haven't lived in for 20+ years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Their site seems a little cagey about actually spelling out whether or not you can or can't vote. I've been out of the UK since the late 90's and never bothered to vote from abroad. I looked at it once, but it seemed like a massive faff to register at the time (I think you had to find another Brit - who isn't family, to vouch for you, which seemed too much for an introvert like me).

My UK passport is long since expired (since I have a US one now) anyway. As much as I'd like to f*** the Tories, it doesn't feel right to vote in an election of a place I haven't lived in for 20+ years.
If you are a Brit living overseas you can vote from overseas. There was a 15 year rule but this was abolished this year.

The online application is simple and took me and the Missus about 2 minutes. No need for others to vouch for you. I just took a look and you can apply without a passport.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've been keeping my voting registration updated every year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you are a Brit living overseas you can vote from overseas. There was a 15 year rule but this was abolished this year.

The online application is simple and took me and the Missus about 2 minutes. No need for others to vouch for you. I just took a look and you can apply without a passport.
Madness.
What decides the constituency the leavers (😆) can vote for?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting the Tories did this, my only guess is they thought somehow they'd secure more votes on the back of it.

5.5m Brits living overseas

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I know I could register and vote, but without a proxy there is zero chance of a postal vote getting to me and back in time.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

Fails now for me when they ask for my NI number. I did have one, at one time, but I obviously have zero idea what it is. You can, apparently, recover it, with a valid passport, which I don't have, since mine expired.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting the Tories did this, my only guess is they thought somehow they'd secure more votes on the back of it.

5.5m Brits living overseas
It was the Tories which brought in the 15 year time limit, and the Tories which then removed it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I feel as if I'm in a Catch 22 position - paying taxes in Spain but no vote, and having a vote in the UK but not paying taxes there. I suppose the only justification for me to vote in the UK would be asking my daughter who she wants me to vote for as it's her future.
I’m similar. Although I pay all my personal tax in Germany I do pay a small amount of business tax in the UK. This will stop shortly as I don’t have any UK clients now.

That said, I think it’s perfectly valid for expats to vote regardless of this.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
A pleasure, its good to vote!
It's more than good. It should be compulsory in my opinion (as it is in Belgium and some other places). It's a civic duty. Although all voting forms should have a 'none of the above' option for when all the candidates are shit, which they often are.

As someone wise once said, if you don't choose the government, then someone else will choose it for you.

I'm currently trying to set up my sister in Hove as a proxy to vote on my behalf (otherwise I'll have to trust the international post, which is useless these days...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here