Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Over excited?

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Just wanted to ask a question, and wondering if anyone else agrees, are we all jumping to conclusions about the RDZ era?

Don't get me wrong, what a result at the weekend. I was as proud as anyone watching it in a bar full of people that didn't even know Brighton existed, but how can we judge the next 2/3/5 years on 1 match?

It's not like this is a result we haven't had in the past. In the last 2 games at Anfield, we've picked up 4 points. Regularly, over the past 2 seasons, we have gone toe to toe with the big boys and have often taken points. Yes, that was Trossard's best match for us, but was that because of the Italian? We've always attacked well this season, and yes we took chances, but missed a few too. This wasn't 3 shots and 3 goals. And if (and I am well aware that the keeper is in the team, and is just as critical as anyone else) Sanchez hadn't have made that world class save for TAA free kick, and we lost the game 4-3, would people still be as positive?

For me, losing Potter still feels like a huge blow. I said to my friend straight after the match against Leicester, that that was one of our best results in a long, long time. Not because of the score line, but how many times have we gone into a home game tales up, against a team we "could/should" beat (Newcastle this season, Leeds, Norwich, Burnley, Villa last season) and just not turned up. That day, we completely blitzed them, put them completely to the sword, it was pinnacle Potterball. We looked like a top Premier League team when so many times we looked like an impersonation of one.

This new manager may tinker, may change things, it might collapse, we may concede far too many, Trossard may have hit his peak. Will we be able to beat a solid, 8/9/10 behind the ball team that has been our constant nemesis over the Potter era?

Or should we be excited? As the commentator said on the channel I was watching for the Liverpool game, it is very rare for a new manager to come in mid season with a team in great form and doing better then they expected. Is that the point, he doesn't need to change much, the players haven't just forgotten about their time under Potter, so not much will change while this squad is together?

We already had a tasty and exciting meal, do we just need some Italian seasoning to elevate it to the next level?

Personally, I am excited, but not directly by the football. Just excited to be supporting a club, that, I think we can all genuinely agree, has the best chairman and owner in the league. A genuine fan of the club, who clearly cares, and hasn't appointed one of the managers off the usual merry-go-round.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts?

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Overexcited, yes, seen a fair bit of that. But good reasons to be excited about both De Zerbi and even more so the entire club though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wrong, so excited

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just wanted to ask a question, and wondering if anyone else agrees, are we all jumping to conclusions about the RDZ era?
Don't get me wrong, what a result at the weekend. I was as proud as anyone watching it in a bar full of people that didn't even know Brighton existed, but how can we judge the next 2/3/5 years on 1 match?
It's not like this is a result we haven't had in the past. In the last 2 games at Anfield, we've picked up 4 points. Regularly, over the past 2 seasons, we have gone toe to toe with the big boys and have often taken points. Yes, that was Trossard's best match for us, but was that because of the Italian? We've always attacked well this season, and yes we took chances, but missed a few too. This wasn't 3 shots and 3 goals. And if (and I am well aware that the keeper is in the team, and is just as critical as anyone else) Sanchez hadn't have made that world class save for TAA free kick, and we lost the game 4-3, would people still be as positive?
For me, losing Potter still feels like a huge blow. I said to my friend straight after the match against Leicester, that that was one of our best results in a long, long time. Not because of the score line, but how many times have we gone into a home game tales up, against a team we "could/should" beat (Newcastle this season, Leeds, Norwich, Burnley, Villa last season) and just not turned up. That day, we completely blitzed them, put them completely to the sword, it was pinnacle Potterball. We looked like a top Premier League team when so many times we looked like an impersonation of one.
This new manager may tinker, may change things, it might collapse, we may concede far too many, Trossard may have hit his peak. Will we be able to beat a solid, 8/9/10 behind the ball team that has been our constant nemesis over the Potter era?
Or should we be excited? As the commentator said on the channel I was watching for the Liverpool game, it is very rare for a new manager to come in mid season with a team in great form and doing better then they expected. Is that the point, he doesn't need to change much, the players haven't just forgotten about their time under Potter, so not much will change while this squad is together?
We already had a tasty and exciting meal, do we just need some Italian seasoning to elevate it to the next level?
Personally, I am excited, but not directly by the football. Just excited to be supporting a club, that, I think we can all genuinely agree, has the best chairman and owner in the league. A genuine fan of the club, who clearly cares, and hasn't appointed one of the managers off the usual merry-go-round.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts?

Some interesting answers to substantially the same question on here.................

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...hots!-quot&p=10407316&viewfull=1#post10407316

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've gone from the big hole in the pit of my stomach, to indifference and meh, to eyebrow raising, to full on knicker wetting. I'm sure over the course of the season, more emotions will cause the loss of various bodily fluids

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was over excited when I walked up from the concourse for that first Amex game against Donny, knowing after all those years, we had a club capable of yo-yoing the top two divisions.

I am way way beyond over excited :albion2:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I take it one game at a time.

Overexcited? No. Happy? Yes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi [MENTION=23421]JOLovegrove[/MENTION]. I have always liked your user picture. It reminds me of Tales from Europe and, latterly, The Mighty Boosh.

Yes we are over excited. But why not enjoy the moment? Three defeats on the bounce and we can then resume our customary hysteria (and it will give the likes of 'certain posters' a chance to share their myriad helpful viewpoints with us, again....) :rolleyes::lolol:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yes over excited but, as they say, “the King is dead, long live the King”.

Obviously “long live” in EPL terms means around 3 years

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
cautiously optimistic, We are in for a goal fest and I absolutely love his passion but tinged with a worry of being too gun hoe. This month is slightly twisted with a lot of tough games, but if we can overcome Spurs, who on their day must be considered one of the best counter attacking sides, I think we will do incredibly well for the rest of this season. I'm going 4-2 by the way. :wink:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We'll be fine..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We didn’t lose 4-3 we came back and pushed for a well deserved equaliser at Anfield. RDZ made subs at the right time which effected the outcome of the game have some faith. Surely your imaginary score line scenarios would work against any manager look at the positives and not what ifs.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I've gone from the big hole in the pit of my stomach, to indifference and meh, to eyebrow raising, to full on knicker wetting. I'm sure over the course of the season, more emotions will cause the loss of various bodily fluids

Far too much information Coldean!!

It’s a great feeling at the moment OP - yes it may all come crashing down but that’s part of being a fan. I’m loving it!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Depends what you mean by over excited. What is normal excitement to some might be full blown radical way out there to others. I was excited at the start of this season.

Potter and Co leaving made me feel like i had been kicked in the stomach and when names like Rodgers, Cooper, Rosenior, Nathan Jones, Solskarr, Dyche etc.. were bandied about, i was getting severly depressed and saw a relegation fight.

Then TB, BP, DW pulled an absolute fricken blinder. The snaffled the hottest new Italian young manager right under the noses of Juve, one that the Juve fans were calling for to replace their manager. Yes thats Juve fans wanting RDZ, Juve with more silverware than on the Antiques Roadshow.

The more I looked into RDZ, the more i looked at what he did at Sassuolo and how he set up, played out from the back and made his team into 'ballers' the more I got excited. Especally looking at the team we have right now.

Yes he needs to adapt, bed in the team to DeZerbi-ball, get used to the PL, improve his English, blah blah blah. And yes we could well end up is a lower position and less points than last year. But we have a brilliant magaer that, in my opinion, will take us further and higher than GPott would have done.

So over excited? No. Bloody Excited? defo.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I’m way too excited and optimistic. I’ve somehow convinced myself that if we beat Spurs on Saturday that we could genuinely get Champions League. I know, I’m so sorry, I’m embarrassed to admit it. I’ve just got this funny feeling that with the World Cup, it might just be a very weird season, when normal rules don’t apply. Also we do look very decent, so anything might happen. UTA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here