Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Over 1m Xbox Live users' consoles BARRED

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8356621.stm

Own up, anyone here get BARRED? I didn't, I'm a good boy. :angel:

I remember hearing talk on here before from someone with a "cracked" Xbox360, looks like Microsoft are cracking down on it big time.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wouldn't happen on a PS3.

EY! Don't start starting, or I'll start stopping! You stop starting or else!

scousers1007_468x553.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have to laugh really. MS have effectively done this before with Auto-update not working for pirated copies of Windows, so really it was only a matter of time. they have the ability, which in the past console producers didnt, to detect and impose some punishment, excpet them to do so. its also interesting as, if it still costs them more to produce and ship a Xbox then the retail price, they are losing moeny by doing this.

Wouldn't happen on a PS3.

true... but thats because theres no mods for PS3. by keeping the bootloader open they made it uninteresting to those clever enough. but now they've locked up the bootloader in the new 120GB model, i expect modchips for PS3 will be around soon.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Yeah i got banned- but on the very same day my gold membership expired!. My 360 is on it's last legs anyway- recently rrod x clamp fixed by me so i don't hold much hope for it working for long.. But hey ho, Offline games until it pops!

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
May be if they made games cheaper, people would not need to get their xboxes chipped to play ripped off games. Its a never ending circle.

Not in to games myself, but this is one reason why I use Ubuntu on my home machine. Everything is free, and people like Microsoft cannot shut you down.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Only got my original Xbox modded so it saves me carrying all my disks around. Got mine stored on the HD. Easier that way.

Similar story on the ds- for a portable console, the official releases just cannot compete with the user experience practicality wise of having umpteen games an a flash card..

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
May be if they made games cheaper, people would not need to get their xboxes chipped to play ripped off games. Its a never ending circle.

No matter how cheap the games are (and realistically they're not going to be ridiculously cheap) people would still download for free if they could. Look at what happens with music. Although I do agree that the new release games are getting very expensive.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No matter how cheap the games are (and realistically they're not going to be ridiculously cheap) people would still download for free if they could. Look at what happens with music. Although I do agree that the new release games are getting very expensive.

Woolworths were selling single disc albums for up to £17.99 at points. Guess how much it costs to make a CD. (Clue - it's between 1 and 5 PENCE).

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Woolworths were selling single disc albums for up to £17.99 at points. Guess how much it costs to make a CD. (Clue - it's between 1 and 5 PENCE).

The cost of the medium has f*** all to do with it - a game like COD MW2 would cost an eight figure sum to make (including marketing).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The cost of the medium has f*** all to do with it - a game like COD MW2 would cost an eight figure sum to make (including marketing).

We're talking about music CDs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

OK well say it does (I believe it would be 7 figure, but agree to disagree)

15million total cost (at absolute most)

divided by sales of 5million (I reckon MW2 could easily smash this, will be one of the biggest selling games ever.

That's 3 quid. Explain £54.99.

We're talking about music CDs.

But it's the same logic. The marginal cost of producing the CD may only be 5p, but the sunk costs involved in paying the artist (if they get an upfront fee), buying the equipment for the recording studio, hiring staff to man the recording studio, hiring a producer, etc.

Not to mention that alongside the marginal production cost of 5p, there is a cost associated with shipping it to a location, and staff costs to contend with.

I accept that this doesn't come to anywhere near £18, but it's a little bit more complicated than saying the CD costs 5p to produce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here