Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Out of contract with Sky - Tips ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It didn't with me. They couldn't match Virgin, even when I went all Tony Bloom on them.

Until a bloke rang up and offered me £58 a month for Broadband, TV and Sports.

So you're saying it did work?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s not really surprising fire sticks are becoming increasingly popular. What grinds me is loyalty is not rewarded with these companies.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So you're saying it did work?
It would have done if the bloke hadn't been lying to me. Good job I checked the contract that arrived.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I never mentioned Sky.

The thread is about Sky and someone said 'tell them you want to cancel' and you said it doesn't work. Yes it does. Giving examples about how it doesn't work with other things isn't relevant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As a benchmark, I'm with Virgin. I pay £59 a month for broadband and TV (including Sky and BT Sports). I think the offer is about £72 now. But I can't see anything better so will try and renew at the price I'm paying now or a little more.

That’s a good deal.

Mine went up to £85? in March 22, something like a 30% hike. The retentions ploys all failed, the attitude was “bye”.

So I happily called it quits. Busy life and I love Amazon Prime, I was never a PL on TV obsessive anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
F*** 'em! I'm a freeview TV man from now on! They couldn't even be bothered to offer me that offer.
Leave means leave! Enjoy your Freeview.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Is this the same with NOW tv sports?

Had a 12 month contract on discount that ended 7 days ago, cancelled before auto renew at full rate.
So far no calls or emails begging for me back at same discount I had before.
( don’t watch golf, so not a problem currently)
Unlike yourself I do watch golf so signed up again for a month yesterday after having subscribed to NOW TV for the last month of the season.
Able to watch the American Tour games and first 2 weeks of PL season before flying back home to Oz shortly after the West Ham match.
So it appears that the discounted £21 per month is still available for another 6 months even if you’ve taken up this offer previously.
Discounted subscription offer expires tomorrow.

IMG_4507.jpeg

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I've just moved my broadband from Sky to BT full fibre today. Rang up to check if BT had cancelled my sky broadband (they hadn't). Whilst I was there I asked about my TV package and they've managed get my TV down from £120 a month to £83 a month. Make sure you ask to speak to the cancellation department as the indian call centre I originally got put through to offered me the best part of bugger all. Took about 45 minutes to get sorted but worth it for nearly £40 a month saving.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
As a benchmark, I'm with Virgin. I pay £59 a month for broadband and TV (including Sky and BT Sports). I think the offer is about £72 now. But I can't see anything better so will try and renew at the price I'm paying now or a little more.
I'm with Sky atm but can save substantially if I move to Virgin. Put off by their reputation for terrible customer service. What has your experience been?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'm with Sky atm but can save substantially if I move to Virgin. Put off by their reputation for terrible customer service. What has your experience been?
Dealing with Virgin Media whilst settling my dads estate a few years back was the worse and most frustrating part of supporting the probate process. Awful and absolutely no compassion on their part.

Day to day enquires may be different

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hi (sorry there must be existing threads about this - but i couldn't find the right one)

- i'm out of contract
- I'm a longstanding VIP Diamond customer
- I've been offered - for broadband/their paid channels/SKY Q - a discounted price - via email.
- I then rang to see if i could shave off a decent ££ per month via the standard upgrade line. - no luck . same price.
- I then upped things a bit - and went via the retention team - again - despite a lot of bluster and charm from me about cancelling , going to BT / others etc - no luck . same price . They held firm

What are my next steps ? I probably want to stay with Sky. but looking to shave off a decent ££ per month.

Do i have to go ahead and cancel and then wait for the inevitable - Please come back to Sky offer - ? I'm sure they've further to go.
You need to phone the VIP team. Don't cancel unless you mean it. Otherwise you will lose your VIP status. They have the power and can work through all your products to trim off the fat and get you a better deal.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
When my Sky renewal came up I flatly refused and then around a week later a guy rang me from India and offered a lower price than I was already paying.

Same with EE and broadband, got a cheaper deal and faster broadband.

NB They get you back as Sky change the price through the contract and EE RPI is way over the current figures
As you mention EE, here goes: we've just been moved onto them for our mobiles (we used BT before, who were great, but they've transferred their mobile business to EE), and the difference already is noticeable, we get notifications about using too much data a week or two into a monthly allowance; their customer service is notoriously dreadful (especially in comparison to BT). Have you used them for mobile and, if so, any advice?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As you mention EE, here goes: we've just been moved onto them for our mobiles (we used BT before, who were great, but they've transferred their mobile business to EE), and the difference already is noticeable, we get notifications about using too much data a week or two into a monthly allowance; their customer service is notoriously dreadful (especially in comparison to BT). Have you used them for mobile and, if so, any advice?
Not mobile only Broadband, around 20 plus years ago when they were Orange there were multiple Broadband issues so after yet another India phone call resolved I told the person this is your final warning, next issue I am leaving.

Thankfully no issues since, phone is with Three

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi (sorry there must be existing threads about this - but i couldn't find the right one)

- i'm out of contract
- I'm a longstanding VIP Diamond customer
- I've been offered - for broadband/their paid channels/SKY Q - a discounted price - via email.
- I then rang to see if i could shave off a decent ££ per month via the standard upgrade line. - no luck . same price.
- I then upped things a bit - and went via the retention team - again - despite a lot of bluster and charm from me about cancelling , going to BT / others etc - no luck . same price . They held firm

What are my next steps ? I probably want to stay with Sky. but looking to shave off a decent ££ per month.

Do i have to go ahead and cancel and then wait for the inevitable - Please come back to Sky offer - ? I'm sure they've further to go.
I was in the same position. Switched to Virgin (after 20 years with Sky), virtually the same package at less than half the price. They couldn’t get close to the Virgin price

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Originally it was Nynex….then Cable and Wireless …then NTL now VM….so i think about 25 years …and ive had the odd annoyance but overall fine.

Each time a contract expires its a round of negotiations which generally works fine for both sides

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Not mobile only Broadband, around 20 plus years ago when they were Orange there were multiple Broadband issues so after yet another India phone call resolved I told the person this is your final warning, next issue I am leaving.

Thankfully no issues since, phone is with Three
We were with Three for 3 sim only family mobiles. They then hiked my (out of contract) rate up by about 50% last Summer and stopped EU use abroad. I moved to Smarty paying an average of £6 per month per phone (rolling one month contracts) including EU usage…. who use Three’s mobile network! Worth looking at if you are still with Three.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here