Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our young pro's

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Fergie did it all those years ago and DW did it!

Whats the point in having a youth policy if you never ever give any of them a chance which is what has happened since DW left.

Steve Cook looks good and Dan Royce has been playing well in the reserves plus others. I'm not advocating playing all young players but those on the fringes are champing at the bit and loan signings only plug gaps.....very little loyalty and no longevity!

Give the youth a chance!!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
sullivan
hinshelwood
elphick
el abd
fraser
cox
cook
gargan
pelling

all in the team or on the bench on saturday. It would be difficult to suggest that we are NOT giving youth a chance right now

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Fergie did it all those years ago and DW did it!

Whats the point in having a youth policy if you never ever give any of them a chance which is what has happened since DW left.

Steve Cook looks good and Dan Royce has been playing well in the reserves plus others. I'm not advocating playing all young players but those on the fringes are champing at the bit and loan signings only plug gaps.....very little loyalty and no longevity!

Give the youth a chance!!!

For god's sake, we are in a relegation battle. Now is not the time to bring in young players for their first game unless you have to. If the club don't sign anyone people moan and if they do sign people others moan. Can they do nothing right?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I would like to see Royce, Louis, Gargan and Cook all break into the team toward the end of the season, I've had enough of soulless loanees now, I would like to see our youth players get the chance, it might not be the right time, but good things come out of adversity! :D

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There is a massive difference between looking good at youth team or reserve team level and being good at first team level (even ours). Otherwise Leon Knight et al would have walked into the Chelski first team instead of slumming it wherever he ended up.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Sullivan has played really well since getting his chance I think most would agree. I would class Hinshelwood, Elphick, El abd and Cox as relatively experienced pro's and not youth. Fraser has only just begun to get a run of games, Gargan recalled and Cook looked promising.

Relegation battle yes but when do you blood younger players?........there always seems to be an excuse e.g. relegation, promotion or survival. My thread says that young players need to be mixed with the more experience pros of which the likes of Elphick and Cox etc. are in my humble opinion.

Maybe it is too late this season but I'm talking long term!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Have a look through the Albion handbooks of old.Several young players make the team photo:few are ever heard of again.Man Utd and other prem clubs have a bigger attraction than we do,and whilst some young players come through for them,many,many more do not,and litter the lower leagues and the non league.If we got one really good player in ten years that would be a good return,but basing your team development on young players because they are local is stupid.Recently we tried to build our future on the team that got to the FA youth cup quarter final,lucked it for a bit with some outrageous kick-in-the-air and all chase it football,and let a proper squad development policy go by.So yes,let's keep going with a youth policy,but recognise that we will not get enough decent players from it to make a winning professional league team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here