Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

our strikers

Feb 14, 2010
Sorry to be pedantic but Terry Connor was signed from Leeds with Andy Ritchie moving the other way .

Steve Penny was signed instead of Ian Wright .

Penny played wing, Wright up front, but either way, doesnt make much odds does it. No doubt if we had seen Messi we have told him (as we did Roy Keane) that he was too small. Some people make a career out of football but they still know nothing about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2011/12 - 14
2012/13 - 9

2013/14 - 12

2014/15 - 16 so far (Hyypia 9, Hughton 7)
Thanks, more than I thought.
I was thinking we didn't reach double figures in any of those years.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I still don't think a front line of Suarez Messi & Ronaldo would score that many playing for the Albion.

There's been something fundamentally wrong with how the Albion have attacked the opposition, since we arrived at the AMEX.

Couldn't agree more.

I said this in a post after Friday; it's to do with our pace, or lack thereof, on the break. You watch other teams when they have the chance to attack, they'll push, have players on the over-lap, always moving, finding space.

Us? Nah, we'll fart-arse around at the back for a bit before casually strolling into the other half where we promptly lose the ball. Or, we fart-arse around at the back and then lump it forward to nobody in particular.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Penny played wing, Wright up front, but either way, doesnt make much odds does it. No doubt if we had seen Messi we have told him (as we did Roy Keane) that he was too small. Some people make a career out of football but they still know nothing about it.

Definitely Penney that meant we didn't sign Wright. Not related to playing positions, more to do with squad size and cash. They though Penney would be the way forward and he was thought of as the new Liam Brady at the time as I recall.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We just seem unable to either create the chances strikers feed off or buy a striker that can actually play the lone striker role we seem hell bent on playing aimlessly hoping that forcing them to play this role will make them better 3 league goals from our strikers shows different..... sadly PB and TB this philosophy hasn't worked and keeps failing season after season Leo excepted

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
The problem is how can we afford to replace 3 strikers?

We will prob start next season with 1 x new signing, Baldock, Fenelon and 1 x loan

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Couldn't agree more.

I said this in a post after Friday; it's to do with our pace, or lack thereof, on the break. You watch other teams when they have the chance to attack, they'll push, have players on the over-lap, always moving, finding space.

Us? Nah, we'll fart-arse around at the back for a bit before casually strolling into the other half where we promptly lose the ball. Or, we fart-arse around at the back and then lump it forward to nobody in particular.

I would also add we fart arse around at the back to give the opposition team time to get back into their defensive positions thus making it harder for ourselves when we do decide to send the ball in some sort of forward direction

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I would also add we fart arse around at the back to give the opposition team time to get back into their defensive positions thus making it harder for ourselves when we do decide to send the ball in some sort of forward direction

I would like to add that when we do not fart arse around quite so much at the back, when we do get it forward others are fart arsing around instead of getting in the box.
The amount of times this season that Warren or today Guy have stated that nobody is in the box must run into the hundreds.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I would like to add that when we do not fart arse around quite so much at the back, when we do get it forward others are fart arsing around instead of getting in the box.
The amount of times this season that Warren or today Guy have stated that nobody is in the box must run into the hundreds.

Is that because we play too many defensively minded players

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that because we play too many defensively minded players
No it's because the 'wingers' are in fact O'Grady, Baldock or CMS.

Nobody is in the box, because there's nobody to get in the box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here