Our Story- Afghanistan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Anyone watch this programme last night.

It told the exploits of a platoon of Grenadier Guardsmen in the Helmand province. It detailed on the death of Jamie Janes killed on patrol by an IED.

I recently met one of Jamie's brothers, very nice bloke indeed.

I know that we have quite a few ex servicemen on NSC and wanted to ask the following. I find it amazing that the army is probably the only place where you can send an officer from Sandhurst usually coming from a very privieged background mixed in with soldiers from much different upbinging. There seemed to be a really good bond btween officers and men, is this something that is commonplace in your experiences.

It also really hit me how young all the soldiers are. A powerful programme, Full and total respect to all those serving.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I know that we have quite a few ex servicemen on NSC and wanted to ask the following. I find it amazing that the army is probably the only place where you can send an officer from Sandhurst usually coming from a very privieged background mixed in with soldiers from much different upbinging. There seemed to be a really good bond btween officers and men, is this something that is commonplace in your experiences.

I've just finished reading Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. Semi fiction I know, but the officers and men did not have this bond, it seems. 'Lions led by donkeys' springs to mind.

Has there been an attitude change since WWI?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
BBC watch it on iplayer, well worth it. Its basically filmed from the soldiers own footage.

albionite

May 20, 2009
That letter from Gordon Brown, to his parents.....What was he thinking when he sent that out ?

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Anyone watch this programme last night.

It told the exploits of a platoon of Grenadier Guardsmen in the Helmand province. It detailed on the death of Jamie Janes killed on patrol by an IED.

I recently met one of Jamie's brothers, very nice bloke indeed.

It also really hit me how young all the soldiers are. A powerful programme, Full and total respect to all those serving.

Thanks for you kind words mate. I recently completed 22 years in the regular army and I'm now in the TA & due to go to Afghanistan with the Grenadier Guards next year. I think the experience of what the lads go through out there leads to the bond between officers & men whereas in barracks this bond doesn't seem as noticeable. It s a great life though & the support of the public makes it even better.

Jameson

I watched it; felt pretty humble to think of these lads younger than my daughter doing all this for us. It was nail biting stuff when they were under fire and running out of ammo, and very moving too. I know it was a while ago, so I hope that they have all managed to deal with what they experienced. Good lads all of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports