Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our starting 11 ten years ago in the championship...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I certainly thought he was better as a right back also. I think people are skimming over what I've said here. I haven't said he's terrible just not that good. Not that good to me means average and that was his level as was the case with most of the squad then.

You posted that he was not very good which isn't 'average'.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I dont even remember Nicolas. I know Molango and Robinson scored for us and we lost 3-2

Alexis, signed him from Chelsea around the same time as we signed Knight I think :-/ he was quite slight, played a more holding role, would have suited our current style over the 442 which we played back then, I thoink he then fell out of the league, maybe signed for oxford/st Albans and then quit.

I liked him a lot at the time, although I think I was in the minority.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Alexis, signed him from Chelsea around the same time as we signed Knight I think :-/ he was quite slight, played a more holding role, would have suited our current style over the 442 which we played back then, I thoink he then fell out of the league, maybe signed for oxford/st Albans and then quit.

Ah yes, it rings a bell now. Thanks.

Shed

Aug 2, 2012
Bearing in mind this side stayed up (albeit only just), how people can say we will have a relegation battle on our hands this season is beyond me.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Blimey, I remember exactly where I was when that Molango goal went in.

Sat in my parents car in a Spar car park in the Vendee, thinking he would be one of our best ever players to come. Sadly not to be.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Bearing in mind this side stayed up (albeit only just), how people can say we will have a relegation battle on our hands this season is beyond me.

While i don't agree with them. The championship has improved in quality a lot

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'm with Brighton Boy - Virgo quite rightly is well regarded and loved by most Brighton fans, wholehearted, versatile putting the clubs needs before his own and scoring one of the most memorable goals in Albion history. However positionally he was all over the shop defensively, had little pace and distribution was poor. The 1.5 million fee was incredible and as alluded to a case of the McGhee Strachan friendship.

He wasn't a poor player but he certainly wasn't very good and in the 25 years supporting the Albion I can think of numerous better centre halves better than him:-

Larry May
Steve Gatting
Keith Dublin
Paul McCarthy
Steve Foster
Danny Cullip
Matt Wicks
Simon Morgan
Guy Butters
Andy Crosby
Gordon Greer
Matt Upson
Lewis Dunk
Tommy Elphick
Paul McShane

I agree about the fee and the strachan mcghee connection but the players you list almost all played at a higher level than Virgo ever did. Of course they were better. He was excellent at league one level before he moved up front. Comparing him to the likes of Steve Foster is like comparing Ashley Barnes to Peter Ward. Pointless. McGhee himself said that he had the makings of one of the great Brighton centre backs and all that changed after he agreed to go up front. But he was much better than Tommy Elphick before. I think when he returnned he maybe didn't have the same drive and ambition and he has to take the blame for that, but pre-striker he was a damn good defender.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

I liked him too although he never quite fulfilled the promise he showed.

Nicky Forster on fire that day, blew us away

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I agree about the fee and the strachan mcghee connection but the players you list almost all played at a higher level than Virgo ever did. Of course they were better. He was excellent at league one level before he moved up front. Comparing him to the likes of Steve Foster is like comparing Ashley Barnes to Peter Ward. Pointless. McGhee himself said that he had the makings of one of the great Brighton centre backs and all that changed after he agreed to go up front. But he was much better than Tommy Elphick before. I think when he returnned he maybe didn't have the same drive and ambition and he has to take the blame for that, but pre-striker he was a damn good defender.

I was comparing him to Steve Fosters 2nd spell at the club which I believe was purely 3rd tier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here