Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Our scoring problem

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the issue of playing the ball wide to guard against counter-attacks - fine in theory, but how many times do we see Solly March, for example, get into a great wide position only to take an extra touch, then another, and another, until he's closed down and has to play it back, etc etc, and the counter-attack becomes a danger again - Lamptey crosses at the earliest opportunity, as does Cucurella. Early crosses from Gross and Moder brought us two goals at Burnley. Get the ball in the box early, while the opposition is still facing its own goal-line, rather than when they're all back.

The implication being Solly is a decent Premier League footballer and attacking threat.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
There does seem a tendency to keep taking one more touch, make one more pass to get a better chance,and that is all well and good for most of the time , but it seems that happens all the time, with there being virtually no snap shots, or just getting it in the box when the perfect shot, pass isn't there

I think it was one of the Charlton brothers who was asked how do you score so many goals-and the reply was something like-if you hit enough shots at goal-some will go in

I doint think we should be a hit and hope team, but surely a bit more freedom to take the occasional punt would help

Jackie? He didn't score many.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Jackie? He didn't score many.

I cant recall who it was, may have been Bobby, or even someone else altogether, but whoever it was also said they practiced constantly just shooting towards goal if they ever got a sight, however far out, again saying that most are stopped but if you do it enough some will go in

I dont think we should turn into a team who just fire endless balls towards goal, but how often have we seen Biss, Trossard, etc just outside the box in a bit of space, and we all yell or at least think- just shoot!, but they then take another touch, pass, and the opportunity is gone

Biss has done it and scored a couple of crackers, Knockys final goal for us at Palace, and Bernardos first touch on the pitch V palace are examples of players just having a go and it coming off in spectacular style

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The implication being Solly is a decent Premier League footballer and attacking threat.
He is an average PL player at best,... he is indecisive as mentioned earlier,.. he receives the ball often in good positions out wide, he then pauses, has a think, and 8 out of 10 times passes back or sideways ....... I think even Bong took on more right backs than March has since his recovery from the serious injury.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He is an average PL player at best,... he is indecisive as mentioned earlier,.. he receives the ball often in good positions out wide, he then pauses, has a think, and 8 out of 10 times passes back or sideways ....... I think even Bong took on more right backs than March has since his recovery from the serious injury.

You're probably right. But how much does it cost to replace him with a 'next level' PL player?

el punal

Genuinely believe its coached out of them in favour of passing the ball sideways and backwards. The last player who took shots on was Jahanbakhsh

You what? Do you honestly believe what you’ve just written? So on that premise then the players go on to the training pitch and just pass the ball around willy nilly with no goal posts in situ. I can only believe you don’t see the Albion that often. So, just to enlighten you with a couple of examples of a player taking a shot - how about Mwepu’s extraordinary effort at Liverpool or Maupay’s stunner at West Ham. Granted we’re profligate in front of goal and often take the wrong option at a crucial moment - but to be coached out of taking a shot? F*** me! :facepalm:

RonGiffo7

Jul 26, 2021
what top young striker are they going to buy this jan? wonder if we can get that roony bardghji kid

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You what? Do you honestly believe what you’ve just written? So on that premise then the players go on to the training pitch and just pass the ball around willy nilly with no goal posts in situ. I can only believe you don’t see the Albion that often. So, just to enlighten you with a couple of examples of a player taking a shot - how about Mwepu’s extraordinary effort at Liverpool or Maupay’s stunner at West Ham. Granted we’re profligate in front of goal and often take the wrong option at a crucial moment - but to be coached out of taking a shot? F*** me! :facepalm:

There has to be a fair degree of 'possession % = good'

Perhaps coached out is a bit strong, but I can easily imagine a failed 'Hollywood' pass forward gets talked about in the film room.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Two snapshots from a whole season. Why are our midfielder's and strikers so reluctant to shoot when the chance represents itself. You don't score goals by playing possession football that looks pretty and achieves not a lot. The 1st few games this season we had lower possession but seemed to be more direct and yes scored and won games. Since then we've dropped back to keep ball and no wins in 11 games, if your happy with that then I feel sorry for you. For most it is frustrating

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Absolutely untrue.
Sure he's not a top PL winger, but he's a far better player than some give him credit for.

When he receives the ball in a good position he attacks.
When players make themselves available in the box he passes/crosses to them.
The problem is he rarely receives the ball quickly enough to take advantage.

The player most responsible for playing the ball backwards and sideways the most is Dunk.
No one ever calls him out for it though.

4 or 5 seasons ago he used to ping incredible forward passes, cross-field and down the line,
I can't remember the last time he even tried one.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Coached yeh, It must be.

Based on a statistical analysis that recycling it wide instead of shooting is less likely to lead to an opposition counter attack and will increase the number of corners we get (and bugger up)

IMO shooting and scoring is a very good way of stopping the counter attack and if you don't shoot you are very unlikely to win....

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
You're probably right. But how much does it cost to replace him with a 'next level' PL player?
I guess the answer is whatever it takes within reason,... as I said, even equally average teams around us manage to recruit more appropriately for this division, of course some dont use those players effectively, but this division needs strength, and pace to go along with general football nous..... our recruits are often too small, too slow... some either or both those traits.... hence our lack of oooomph in the final third as everyone knows.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Absolutely untrue.
Sure he's not a top PL winger, but he's a far better player than some give him credit for.

When he receives the ball in a good position he attacks.
When players make themselves available in the box he passes/crosses to them.
The problem is he rarely receives the ball quickly enough to take advantage.

The player most responsible for playing the ball backwards and sideways the most is Dunk.
No one ever calls him out for it though.

4 or 5 seasons ago he used to ping incredible forward passes, cross-field and down the line,
I can't remember the last time he even tried one.
I call Dunk out all the time for slowing our possession down,... Burn was doing the same on Weds.... but he has a use as a defender... experience and strength.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Here comes controversy!

Florin Andone

Yes, we know he is flawed but we also know he has passion. Is it time for Potter to swallow his pride and restore him to the 25 man squad? He has been unsuccessful in getting us scoring with his other resources. He decided to bin off Tau, Zeqiri, AJ & Andone (whist retaining Locadia) and we are bereft of a goalscorer.

With his qualifications, surely Potter has the attributes to manage "the problem child"?

Of course there's no guarantee of success but at least give him a go because the striking options we have had this season are clearly not capable of doing the job.

There’s not much evidence of Potter being able to manage “problem players”, Knockaert was jettisoned pretty quick, Duffy & Andone packed off on loan.
Maupay & Connolly have been absent from the squads on occasions.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I cant recall who it was, may have been Bobby, or even someone else altogether, but whoever it was also said they practiced constantly just shooting towards goal if they ever got a sight, however far out, again saying that most are stopped but if you do it enough some will go in

I dont think we should turn into a team who just fire endless balls towards goal, but how often have we seen Biss, Trossard, etc just outside the box in a bit of space, and we all yell or at least think- just shoot!, but they then take another touch, pass, and the opportunity is gone

Biss has done it and scored a couple of crackers, Knockys final goal for us at Palace, and Bernardos first touch on the pitch V palace are examples of players just having a go and it coming off in spectacular style

Oh how we could do with somebody that could smash a ball in from 25 yards like Bobby Charlton could

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Is it a training problem? Imho no: may I suggest it is a lack of striking talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Apart from the obvious striker issue, we lack a player that scares opposition defences. A player who even when having a bad game has an attribute, probably pace to run at a defence or get in behind, that always keeps the opposition with one eye on him and makes their back line sit deep. Izquierdo maybe our last player like that. Lamptey has that pace but its use is sometimes limited from right back. Khadra has showed some glimpses of it. I hope we go for those players in January, but I wont hold my breath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here