Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Our scoring problem

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He was an exciting player. Disruptive style. Completely misunderstood by most supporters. And perhaps also the management.

The missmatch between our general play and our chance creation is so extreme that I suspect many of us can't quite get our heads around it. The latter is probably so poor that we would be a basket case relegation candidate were the rest of our game not so good. I can't really get my head around it to be honest.

Is there not even the tiniest possibility that most fans did understand, but a few fans refuse to accept that he just wasn’t very good?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Is there not even the tiniest possibility that most fans did understand, but a few fans refuse to accept that he just wasn’t very good?

Yes, there is. I'll admit to extreme bias towards people who put in a shift, and an unwillingness to take off my rose-tinted spectacles once they are settled on the bridge of my nose. :rolleyes:

I'm grateful for how polite you've been, by the way :thumbsup:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Has anyone mentioned the corners? Oh. Really are dire! Never seen such a collective of poor deliveries.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
On the issue of playing the ball wide to guard against counter-attacks - fine in theory, but how many times do we see Solly March, for example, get into a great wide position only to take an extra touch, then another, and another, until he's closed down and has to play it back, etc etc, and the counter-attack becomes a danger again - Lamptey crosses at the earliest opportunity, as does Cucurella. Early crosses from Gross and Moder brought us two goals at Burnley. Get the ball in the box early, while the opposition is still facing its own goal-line, rather than when they're all back.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He was an exciting player. Disruptive style. Completely misunderstood by most supporters. And perhaps also the management.

The missmatch between our general play and our chance creation is so extreme that I suspect many of us can't quite get our heads around it. The latter is probably so poor that we would be a basket case relegation candidate were the rest of our game not so good. I can't really get my head around it to be honest.

Exciting yes, but he just wasnt good enough. He also isnt good enough to be a starter for Feyenoord now.

Brighton good definitely need a player with his playing style but it needs to be someone with more quality.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
On the issue of playing the ball wide to guard against counter-attacks - fine in theory, but how many times do we see Solly March, for example, get into a great wide position only to take an extra touch, then another, and another, until he's closed down and has to play it back, etc etc, and the counter-attack becomes a danger again - Lamptey crosses at the earliest opportunity, as does Cucurella. Early crosses from Gross and Moder brought us two goals at Burnley. Get the ball in the box early, while the opposition is still facing its own goal-line, rather than when they're all back.

I agree but also we massively struggle to get people in the box.

March 2nd half last night, 3 or 4 times he could have hit it first time but didn’t. I don’t know if he was aware though that no body was even in the box. If he was aware that might explain it

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove

March 2nd half last night, 3 or 4 times he could have hit it first time but didn’t. I don’t know if he was aware though that no body was even in the box. If he was aware that might explain it

I agree.

Especially last night. There was no point in putting the ball into the box as there was not a blue shirt in there just a cluster of Wolves defenders.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Sorry, but successive managers saw the same as me. Not quick or strong enough to buy himself the time he needed on the ball. Looks decent in the Netherlands where they don't have nearly as good defenders. Nice technique but not PL Ready.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We are simply a much weaker team without Welbeck in it or someone of his Calibre leading the line alongside Maupay and Trossard.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think £50,000 a week as a professional footballer in midfield comes into it a little bit!

My exclamation when Enock booted the ball straight up in the air from 6 yards out was:-

"I can do that".

Nobody is spending £20m on me, or paying me £50k a week.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We never shoot. Can’t remember the last goal from outside the box. Genuinely the most toothless team in the prem.

Pretty sure it was Mwepu vs Liverpool. But you are correct in your point.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We are simply a much weaker team without Welbeck in it or someone of his Calibre leading the line alongside Maupay and Trossard.

If only we'd known prior to signing him that he had a long history of absences through injury.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My exclamation when Enock booted the ball straight up in the air from 6 yards out was:-

"I can do that".

Newcastle might.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

In fact he did hit at least one peach of a cross which evaded the defenders but was just too high for lamptey ( who was the only target) to head in.
And that is the problem in a nutshell.

I hate to say it, but had Palace decided to keep him on their books, I'm sure he would have some pretty impressive assist figures to his name.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

"I can do that".

6 yards ???
i think you may want to re-watch the highlights.
I don't think I could guarantee clearing the bar from the actual distance he was from the goal.

Edit: found it https://www.bt.com/sport/watch/video/clips/2021/december/staggering-miss-mwepu-skies-it-from-2-yards-out
That is a special talent indeed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
From The Guardian match report....
How Brighton could have done with a creator of Neves’s class
We fool only ourselves thinking this is simply about our strikers and our finishing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here