Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our route to Europe: Chelsea or Newcastle?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
So if we’re even remotely thinking about a European spot, where’s it coming from?

Assuming (and it’s a big assume) Fulham and Brentford fall away, and any other current bottom half-side don’t pull away to challenge us, we need someone else to go above to finish in the top 7.

Such a shame Newcastle are having such a good season really. What’s the chances they fall away? Only lost 1 game all season.

For me it’s got to be Chelsea in their transition season. It’s weird to think we could finish above them, but if we fancy Bulgaria on a Thursday night we need them to keep dropping points…and we need to keep winning. It’s the only path I can see really!

Edit: Plus it would be absolutely incredible to finish above our Graham.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think there are multiple ways that would make 8th enough to qualify... though not sure exact which those ways are.

Most likely is that Brighton won't finish top 7 but if that happens there's several candidates who could miss out. Chelsea perhaps the most likely one, but I don't trust Spurs and Liverpool either. Newcastle will finish above Brighton.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So if we’re even remotely thinking about a European spot, where’s it coming from?

Assuming (and it’s a big assume) Fulham and Brentford fall away, and any other current bottom half-side don’t pull away to challenge us, we need someone else to go above to finish in the top 7.

Such a shame Newcastle are having such a good season really. What’s the chances they fall away? Only lost 1 game all season.

For me it’s got to be Chelsea in their transition season. It’s weird to think we could finish above them, but if we fancy Bulgaria on a Thursday night we need them to keep dropping points…and we need to keep winning. It’s the only path I can see really!

Edit: Plus it would be absolutely incredible to finish above our Graham.
Well all we can do is continue to play well and win as many games as we can, then see where that leaves us at the end of the season.

Ok of course it would be great to win a European place, but l have seen that be the downfall for many clubs who had small squards and just weren't prepared for all the extra games.

To be quite honest if we end up just missing out, but still finiah half way up the table, l'd be happy enough.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think there are multiple ways that would make 8th enough to qualify... though not sure exact which those ways are.

Most likely is that Brighton won't finish top 7 but if that happens there's several candidates who could miss out. Chelsea perhaps the most likely one, but I don't trust Spurs and Liverpool either. Newcastle will finish above Brighton.
Yep, l can even see the Toon breaking into the top four this season, l really do think they are that good.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Without focusing on us - Europe remains a lofty dream - but one we should be setting our ultimate sights on, it does illustrate that the big six becoming a big seven is going to make that European ambition very difficult for everyone else.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well all we can do is continue to play well and win as many games as we can, then see where that leaves us at the end of the season.

Ok of course it would be great to win a European place, but l have seen that be the downfall for many clubs who had small squards and just weren't prepared for all the extra games.

To be quite honest if we end up just missing out, but still finiah half way up the table, l'd be happy enough.
Yeah, fxxk it, not interested in that rubbish.

And to a point, I agree. But……..

You do not enter the Prem to be happy with 10th every year, let’s just do our best and enjoy it while it lasts.

A first Euro adventure will cost me $$$$$$$$, oh well…….

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

1st-4th is Champions League.
5th is Europa League.
FA Cup is Europa League
League Cup is Europa Conference League.

If the winners of cup competitions finish top 5 (which they generally do), the FA Cup spot goes to 6th place, and League Cup goes to 7th.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Winning either cup qualifies for Europe. Seems the more likely route however unlikely that is. Just because we have never done so before doesn't mean we never will, imo.
As above!!! :D

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
5th is Europa League.
FA Cup is Europa League

If the winners of cup competitions finish top 5 (which they generally do), the FA Cup spot goes to 6th place, and League Cup goes to 7th.
Does it make a difference if English clubs win the European comps? I think there’s a few possibilities it can go 8th but coukd be wrong.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Does it make a difference if English clubs win the European comps? I think there’s a few possibilities it can go 8th but coukd be wrong.
I used to know this quite well but since the introduction of the Europa Conference League and 2 seasons with us not being able to travel abroad I don’t so much anymore.

But unless it’s changed - I don’t think you can qualify for Europe finishing 8th (unless in Brightons case you was to win the FA Cup).

I actually think if West Ham win the ECL, meaning they would qualify for the 2023/24 Europa League and come outside the top 7 (which you’d think they will), that could take the team finishing 6th’s Europa League spot (assuming the FA Cup winners finish in the European spots) meaning only top 6 would get Europe.

That bottom paragraph may not be 100% accurate though.

In summary you’d be very unlikely to finish top 7 and not get a European spot… just don’t moan about Sunday games next season!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
5th is Europa League.
FA Cup is Europa League

Right. I mixed up the maximum number of teams in Europe (9) with the chance of qualifying through 8th place but you are correct that it is impossible to qualify through 8th place unless winning a cup (domestic or European)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I used to know this quite well but since the introduction of the Europa Conference League and 2 seasons with us not being able to travel abroad I don’t so much anymore.

But unless it’s changed - I don’t think you can qualify for Europe finishing 8th (unless in Brightons case you was to win the FA Cup).

I actually think if West Ham win the ECL, meaning they would qualify for the 2023/24 Europa League and come outside the top 7 (which you’d think they will), that could take the team finishing 6th’s Europa League spot (assuming the FA Cup winners finish in the European spots) meaning only top 6 would get Europe.

That bottom paragraph may not be 100% accurate though.

In summary you’d be very unlikely to finish top 7 and not get a European spot… just don’t moan about Sunday games next season!!
If 5th place wins the champions league then we get 5 in the CL, right? So if 6th place then wins the FA Cup, and 7th place wins the League Cup, do we only get one entrant into each of the minor competitions?

Or, if 7th place wins both the ECL and the League Cup, then we get no-one in the Conference League?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Newcastle have potentially scuppered this for us forever. We are basically now relying on at least one of the top 7 being a basket case for a season. Chelsea have the potential, Newcastle could still fall apart if they lost one or two key players but my money is on Spurs. Tough game for them tonight and I can kind of see them imploding if they struggle to get a result over the next few weeks. Conte likely to go at the end of the season and players tend to take their foot off the gas when this is well known.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Are Newcastle going to carry on? Hardly been inspiring post World Cup.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Are Newcastle going to carry on? Hardly been inspiring post World Cup.
I concur, but who will they buy in January. They could potentially get in 3 or 4 big hitters that turbo boost them.

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
1st-4th is Champions League.e top
5th is Europa League.
FA Cup is Europa League

Germany had 5 teams in the Champions League this year: Frankfurt, Leverkusen, Bayern, Leipzig and Dortmund. Frankfurt qualified as Europa League winners. So there could be an extra place up for grabs if English teams are successful in europe but don't make the top 4. Unlikely though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As others have said, it's actually impossible to qualify by finishing 8th. With Newcastle's takeover, there is now essentially a 'Big 7', which closes the door a bit and makes it extremely difficult for us. A bit depressing really. Looking at this season, it is possible that Chelsea, Spurs or Liverpool could finish outside the top seven but it would be a major shock.

I keep thinking back to the Newcastle game at the Amex - we completely dominated (two shots cleared off the line, three brilliant saves by Pope) but only drew. A win then would have kept them within touching distance.

Last edited:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Germany had 5 teams in the Champions League this year: Frankfurt, Leverkusen, Bayern, Leipzig and Dortmund. Frankfurt qualified as Europa League winners. So there could be an extra place up for grabs if English teams are successful in europe but don't make the top 4. Unlikely though.
Yeah that’s right.
That’s where I think it could possibly get a bit confusing if WHU win the ECL.

I’m still pretty sure (although not certain) that 8th can’t nick a European spot.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
To be quite honest if we end up just missing out, but still finiah half way up the table, l'd be happy enough

I'm completely in the opposite camp.

Bring on some really obscure Eastern European away game on a Thursday night - The Albion in Europe - surely that's what we all want - even just one season?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
For example

Given Newcastles’s meteoric rise on the back of silly sheik money this season and now, as predicted, part of a Big 7 club, I think the only way to level the playing field a bit is to have play offs for 5th place qualifier in the PL among the teams ranked 5-10 in the PL or for the Europa League and Championship League to widen the qualifying criteria for both to allow more teams to qualify eg. top team qualifiers from a ‘second tier’ income bracket or such but something needs to change.

Otherwise what’s the fcuking point, with more frankly ridiculous sums of money being pumped into the top levels of competition football, European competition football is just going to become the de facto Super League that nobody wanted because it was elitist and exclusionary and would have allowed financial greed to destroy the integrity of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here