Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our Roberto.........

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
FWIW, and it’s been said by most of us honest in our reflections, GP’s management was what we needed at the time to keep us up in the PL but it wasn’t all ‘perfect’! - I doubt we would have attracted a manager like RDZ in 2019 - however, GP left an indelible mark on the team and the foundation to how we would further progress in the future under RDZ.
If the truth be told, under Potter ‘we had the best of times and we had the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness’ to paraphrase Dickens;

The best of times, like crushing Manure 4-0 at the end of last season (my best Amex experience in years) and making them look bloody awful, beating them at OT, along with away wins at Arse, Liverpool and Spurs. Record PL points and places.

The worst of times, like loosing 0-3 to Burnley and often loosing to teams that we should have beaten becoming like a bloody awful mantra.

Foolish times - such as our loss to the Cherries and us giving them their first win at home in months while Potter left our tallest and most robust CF sitting on the bench.

The wisdom of GP when he changed the way Brighton played - the crucial tactical changes he made by overloading the midfield and taking more risks among other things. Encouraging youth development.

Comparing him unfavourably to RDZ doesn’t make sense, GP was overall, great for where we were then and RDZ great for where we are now. If we have a more talented manager than GP was (and sorry Chelsea but we do 😂) it is because GP progressed us to the point where we were in need of a better manager to progress (and would have had anyway if he had not f***ed off when he did imo) Both equally crucial for Brighton’s development and progression and both completely appropriate for their respective time.

(Btw- I don’t think GP having the charisma of a wet flannel is particularly significant in the greater scheme of things - but it is more fun watching RDZ having conniptions on the touchline every time his players get fouled or wildly fisting the air and leaping off the ground when we score!)

Last edited:

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I suppose that depends what you mean by taken apart, we have conceded 4 against Arsenal (fine, they're really good) and 3 against Liverpool (who let's face it, aren't).
and we will get beaten by a few sides who defend really well and hit us on the break , a la Villa, Charlton, Forest.. the difference is that, in the PL we will have less draws but more wins (I think?)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Am I correct in thinking that Potter was well supported in Sweden by his Chairman in terms of player recruitment relative to the level of football?
You mean the guy who was sentenced to three years in prison for serious financial crimes ie. 'funnelling millions of kronor in taxpayer money into the club'? That's one way of putting it :lolol:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
When RDZ got here, and got his feet on the training pitch - he probably thought f*** me this lot are mustard! Potter built on fabulous foundations well planned over a decade and was building a superb house - but then decided to leave a sound ‘project’ for one constructed on very different footings. RDZ must be absolutely loving it.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Very interesting and complex question to debate. As usual it isn't decided one way or the other absolutely.

In cricket, the rise of the "Head Coach" as an influencer of team performance outcomes was resisted for longer than in football (notably by successful hierarchy-frowning Australian teams who put the emphasis on the 11 blokes in the team being good at playing cricket....).
I think Bob Simpson in Australia was probably the first significant head coach/manager figure in international cricket, in the 1980s.
The change in the England team's performances over the last year does go some way to illustrating how much difference the management/coaching of a team can make, given the same pool of players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good grief he’s only been here five minutes, I do think people need to calm down a bit.
The constant ‘we will lose anyone who is successful’ mentality on here needs to change. Constantly valuing all our players. Enjoy the success and stop creating a frenzy pls some posters.. it takes away from enjoying what we’re doing…!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Regardless of results what is abundantly clear to me is that RDZ has far more emotional intelligence than Potter ever will. Everything he says is designed to get players and the club believing more, pushing harder, and aiming higher. His interview last night was super impressive. We had just won 4-1 and he said he wasnt happy and there was loads more to improve on. He is honest and transparent to the media and talks to connect fan and team. Potter was just a walking interview cliche who always gave out the message that we were punching above our weight. These is zero doubt in my mind who is the best man manager.
"Potter was just a walking interview cliche" Not entirely true, it is what it is :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not entirely sure GPott edging in this direction.
That has been padded by passing some very tired horses, as RdZ's is thanks to last night.

I don't believe GPotts 'process' was ever going evolve beyond 'keep it tight and we'll see'.
Which is plenty good enough when half the division is shitehouse and half of what's left are playing an entirely different sport.

He is just too pragmatic to throw caution out the window.
RdZ may well end up wishing he could be a little more in game studious, but by jimminy Im bloody glad he isn't.

The next comparison should be calendar year.
Our next 10 upcoming games with GPotts Jan/Feb run last year! 🤣
If you are actually edging toward being happy with your football team - I'm not going to dispute anything you say!!:gross:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He has taken Potters solid controlled passing through the lines and replaced it with one touch rapid attacking football that is pulling sides all over the place creating the space for clearer goal scoring opportunities. This alongside having to win over the confidence of the players in his methods and learning a new language in a new environment. Hugely impressive coach, great connection with the fans who is now taking us up a level what an appointment by the club.
And infinite amounts of patience. Last night Everton were terrified to press so we just stood in defence and waited. They pressed half heartedly and we passed through them. Beautiful and so simple.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Last season we were 12th in the league for giving minutes to teenagers. Players under 20 played a total of 67 minutes for us in the EPL season. (Four teams gave none!) Under Potter this season, the kids were limited to the 11 minutes plus extra time that Colwill played against Leeds. Since RDZ has taken over, teenagers have played a total of 591 minutes in the EPL. This is mainly as a result of Colwill covering for Webster's injury, but also includes over 100 minutes so far for both Ferguson and Encisco and the short appearance of Andy Moran last night. RDZ also gave 20 year old Sarmiento only his second league start.

Things seem to have changed a bit since Chris Hughton's reluctance to blood the kids.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Potter wouldn't have had the self-confidence or belief in his players to give Ferguson a start. And he'd still have been throwing Mitoma on for twenty minute cameos at the end
I'm not sure I buy that. Dropping Ryan for Sanchez was a massive move (especially given Steele was no.2). Caicedo slowly replaced Bissouma when he was 20 years old too. They both take risks in different areas

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I think Bob Simpson in Australia was probably the first significant head coach/manager figure in international cricket, in the 1980s.
The change in the England team's performances over the last year does go some way to illustrating how much difference the management/coaching of a team can make, given the same pool of players.
Agree about McCullum and think he is exceptionally good. Simpson also was probably exceptionally good. How many other cricket coaches/managers have been over past 40 years? The key indication is when much better results are achieved than expected, given quality of players, and the effect is sustained over an extended career.

Paraphrasing Potter my view is that when results are good the coach usually hasn't had as much influence as people think and the same is often true when results are bad. But there are exceptions.

"Management" in/of a club is a different thing for me. Recruiting players, dealing with player contracts and well-being of all staff, etc, etc is the crucial bit that Brighton are getting so right.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Guardian podcast discussing yesterday's game, picking up on the hilarity of Tarkowski and Guaye's back-pass but also how RDZ have improved us. It's not just us delusional ones that see it

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Agree about McCullum and think he is exceptionally good. Simpson also was probably exceptionally good. How many other cricket coaches/managers have been over past 40 years? The key indication is when much better results are achieved than expected, given quality of players, and the effect is sustained over an extended career.

Paraphrasing Potter my view is that when results are good the coach usually hasn't had as much influence as people think and the same is often true when results are bad. But there are exceptions.

"Management" in/of a club is a different thing for me. Recruiting players, dealing with player contracts and well-being of all staff, etc, etc is the crucial bit that Brighton are getting so right.
I'll leave the cricket chat for a cricket thread, because I could quite happily write about that endlessly and I'll end up annoying everybody.

I just wrote about 3 paragraphs of waffle before realising I'm basically just agreeing with what you're saying.

You can't compare the teams potter played Vs the ones de zerbi has. The only slightly hard game potter had with us this season was Newcastle who weren't really in their stride. Man u were a mess. De zerbi had a ridiculously hard start.

Potter has regressed Chelsea since hes joined them.

Potter just doesn't have the big manager personality. He's too introverted. He doesn't have the character to win over big players or fans. De zerbi will go on to bigger
Spot on! De Zerbi started away at Liverpool and had Spurs arsenal City and Chelsea since. Only real bad results are the Brentford away and look what they are doing and of course Villa at home(and they are flying now too)

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's the adjustment a fair few of us wanted to see, but were repeatedly told we were wrong because it wasn't possible.

Many an owner and CEO would have appointed a manager who wanted to put his mark on his team.
RdZ seems to have said 'well this is great, but now let's do it quicker'.
It's like Potter Built the Lola MK6 . . . . Then Ken Miles came along and turned it into a GT40

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Spot on! De Zerbi started away at Liverpool and had Spurs arsenal City and Chelsea since. Only real bad results are the Brentford away and look what they are doing and of course Villa at home(and they are flying now too)
Maybe G Pot had peaked, TB spotted it, and Went on the rinse in the summer . . . It's all panned out too well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here