Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our Premier League Transfers

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Why not? Villa spent the best part of half that in just one year and they are still fighting relegation in the last match of the season.

Just spending money is no way the answer to success. It's how you spend it that counts

We are the SIXTH highest net spender over the last five years. That means we have consistently spent and therefore should be seeing much better progression. In fact it’s probably telling how bad the signings are that weve not actually been able to sell anyone for decent money to offset the number.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/pr...tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think including the U23s players along with the first team players is a bit misleading in this.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
We are the SIXTH highest net spender over the last five years. That means we have consistently spent and therefore should be seeing much better progression. In fact it’s probably telling how bad the signings are that weve not actually been able to sell anyone for decent money to offset the number.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/pr...tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

Or that we came up with a lot of players from the Championship that don't have much resale value.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

What nonsense. We've plenty of players we COULD have chosen to sell 'for decent money', had we wanted to sabotage our chances of progression.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Think including the U23s players along with the first team players is a bit misleading in this.

Agreed. I think a lot of people are still in the mindset of a Championship team, where £1 million or £2 million is a lot of money. Spending this sort of money on young players in the Premier League is an investment and not much of the budget. Some won't work. Some won't work for us but be sold for a profit. And others will do well for us and, to make a profit on those sorts of players, you don't need a huge percentage of them to work

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What nonsense. We've plenty of players we COULD have chosen to sell 'for decent money', had we wanted to sabotage our chances of progression.

Totally agree with this. There are also players on there who we've been genuinely unlucky with. I am sure the critics would say Izquierdo was a waste of money now. However, he was brilliant for us in the second half of the first season up and a big reason we survived. You could argue that would make him good value for money anyway, in terms of what we might lost if he'd not played and we'd potentially gone down, but ignoring that there is no way you can plan for a player with no history of injuries to be out injured for most of two seasons.

As you say, there are also plenty of players who we'd make a profit on if we wanted like Ryan, Gross, Propper, Bissouma, Burn, Mooy, Clarke, Lamptey etc. There are also a few younger players who we'd probably already make a profit on and have the ability to develop further.

In fact, the only two on that list who have been really bad in terms of value for money are Jahanbakhsh and Locadia.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Totally agree with this. There are also players on there who we've been genuinely unlucky with. I am sure the critics would say Izquierdo was a waste of money now. However, he was brilliant for us in the second half of the first season up and a big reason we survived. You could argue that would make him good value for money anyway, in terms of what we might lost if he'd not played and we'd potentially gone down, but ignoring that there is no way you can plan for a player with no history of injuries to be out injured for most of two seasons.

As you say, there are also plenty of players who we'd make a profit on if we wanted like Ryan, Gross, Propper, Bissouma, Burn, Mooy, Clarke, Lamptey etc. There are also a few younger players who we'd probably already make a profit on and have the ability to develop further.

In fact, the only two on that list who have been really bad in terms of value for money are Jahanbakhsh and Locadia.

It's such a shame that Izquierdo hasn't featured more, he can be such an exciting player, just been so unlucky with injuries. I certainly wouldn't classify him as a flop, he's just been unlucky.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ali J, Locadia and Izzy all pretty much no sell on value. Ali J we might get 15million if we are lucky but big losses on those players.

With Izzy, you might well be right. He might have to retire so there might be some insurance payout.

Locadia-wise; Cincinnati have an option to buy, seems like it’s about £4m.
http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsop...-fc-cincinnati-on-loan-with-an-option-to-buy/

Ali-J is an interesting one, he broke into the team then something happened between around balloongate and Covid-19 and he has been virtually missing ever since.

I think a PX deal with a Dutch giant would be the ideal solution if Potter has given up on him.
He was top scorer over there so would still be highly valued. I’d like us to chase Ajax’s Neres who has fallen from the £40m bracket into our territory having smashed his knees up a few months ago. Ali-J plus £20m would be very good business for Ajax for this Brazilian wonder.

https://youtu.be/pIDaaeE7Hno

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's such a shame that Izquierdo hasn't featured more, he can be such an exciting player, just been so unlucky with injuries. I certainly wouldn't classify him as a flop, he's just been unlucky.

Agreed. He was such a key player for us that first season, especially after Christmas, and the one player we've had with promotion with real pace. I am confident if he'd not got injured and carried on that form, we would have made a big profit out of him by now.

While there's no way we'll get anywhere near our money back for Jahanbakhsh, it's also worth noting that he scored two crucial goals to help us win against one of our relegation rivals and then draw against Chelsea. Given how close it has been at the bottom for much of the season, without those goals we might have been in more trouble so he's justified at least some of his fee with those goals.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Then you start to realise how many duffers we bought! There's quite a few I've never even heard of.

Sorry but reading things like that really does p... me off about football. In region of 14 apart from very few games have not played for club and good chance they wont. This is excluding young players signed up. All that effort and only 2 of these played a league game.
This doesnt look good on our recruitment dept. Perhaps better to get promising youngsters from our lower divisions. At least the money stays in this country.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Big positive is we are getting better at it. Probably no coincidence it ties in with Dan Ashworth's arrival. This summer's/autumn's additions will be fascinating.

Eaxctly my thought, probably one of the reason DA has been brought in. Look at Lamptey vs AJ or Locadia and at 1/4 of the price.

The last few names seem to show a very clear improvement in VFM. Maupay, Webster, Tross, Mooy, Clarke (not yet though) and Lamptey

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I like to see our big signing, AT LEAST, get into the first team and make a decent impact relatively quickly. Glad to see our ones this year (Maupay, Webster, Trossard) have paid off.

Hopefully the same happens over the next few months in pre-season. Dan Ashworth needs to earn his wonga.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Bissouma was £15m? Blimey

No, I don't think he was. If we look at what has been reported (from reliable sources.....)

Locadia was signed in January 2018 for a fee that was fairly widely reported as £14m. However, the day before he signed, the Daily Mail reported the fee as an initial £9m with the remaining £5m "..to be paid as part of a bonus structure."

When Bissouma was signed, Brian Owen reported that "He arrives from Lille for an undisclosed fee which falls short of the record £14 million Albion paid to PSV for Jurgen Locadia in January." The next day the Argus reported that he had signed "..for what is believed to be an eight-figure fee".

So, it is entirely possible that Locadia may have cost "only" £9m (if the Mail reporting was accurate, and few, if any, of the bonus payments were triggered). And Bissouma's fee could have been as "low" as £10m.

When all is said and done, transfermarkt is a fan-contributed site - they don't have any inside info.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
How much have we brought in from player sales over the same period to offset the spending?

Anyone any idea? - I know we got £14m (reportedly) for Knocky but how much more has there been?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
No, I don't think he was. If we look at what has been reported (from reliable sources.....)

Locadia was signed in January 2018 for a fee that was fairly widely reported as £14m. However, the day before he signed, the Daily Mail reported the fee as an initial £9m with the remaining £5m "..to be paid as part of a bonus structure."

When Bissouma was signed, Brian Owen reported that "He arrives from Lille for an undisclosed fee which falls short of the record £14 million Albion paid to PSV for Jurgen Locadia in January." The next day the Argus reported that he had signed "..for what is believed to be an eight-figure fee".

So, it is entirely possible that Locadia may have cost "only" £9m (if the Mail reporting was accurate, and few, if any, of the bonus payments were triggered). And Bissouma's fee could have been as "low" as £10m.

When all is said and done, transfermarkt is a fan-contributed site - they don't have any inside info.

Paul Doyle did an interview with Bissouma in The Guardian and said we paid "around £15m".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here