Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Our most popular players

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
We aren’t in the same realm as some of the “bigger” clubs, where their players have celebrity status and are household names. North of Sussex you probably don’t see much Albion merch worn, outside of Away days. We aren’t that sort of club and we don’t sell our merch in High Street shops, even if you are a young lad from Maidenhead who chooses to support Brighton because you saw them thumping Man United on Match of the Day.
But who do you think are the fan favourites?

Looking around at the Mitoma fandom, I see 3 generation Japanese families down to the 3 month old baby, fully kitted out in Mitoma gear. There’s nothing like it. They just cannot get enough of the man and it seems he’s a proper Japanese Celeb. All the little Japanese kids have Mitoma on their shirts. Nothing else.
If Mitoma didn’t come on yesterday, I think shop sales would have felt the effect, post game!

But looking at the backs of other shirts, it’s a bit of a mixture. A fair few Pedros, the odd March and Dunk and there’s even a Lamptey near me.
Saw kids playing in the park the other day, and the two Albion shirts, among the Arsenal, the Man City and the foreign club shirts ( why oh why?) and they just had their own names on the backs.

That said, the kid on the bus was really excited about the Veltman poster in this weeks programme.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My 9 year old adores Solly. Has his hair cut like him and plays right wing for his team, won't play anywhere else and tries to base his game on Solly which is hard when he's right footed! He's got last season's home shirt with his name on and he's going to get the away kit with his name on for Christmas. Joao Pedro is his next favourite at the moment.

My 7 year old's favourite at the moment is Joao Pedro and he wants his away shirt for Christmas. Both of them love Enciso too and he'd be up there in the kit stakes if he wasn't currently injured!

Both are definitely influenced by squad numbers! They both love Fati but wouldn't want number 31! :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Here's a measure of sorts;

Instagram followers -

Bart Verbruggen - 36k
Lewis Dunk - 49.9k
Solly March - 76.9k
Evan Ferguson - 185k
Joel Veltman - 249k
Tariq Lamptey - 339k
Pervis Estupinan - 448k
Mahmoud Dahoud - 503k
Joao Pedro - 677k
Danny Welbeck - 835k
Billy Gilmour - 941k

Kaoru Mitoma - 1.4million

Ansu Fati - 10.2million

I think so much is about club size when you see someone like Diogo Dalot has 2.9m.

Pascal Gross doesn't have an instagram. That feels like it fits his personality to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Here's a measure of sorts;

Instagram followers -

Bart Verbruggen - 36k
Lewis Dunk - 49.9k
Solly March - 76.9k
Evan Ferguson - 185k
Joel Veltman - 249k
Tariq Lamptey - 339k
Pervis Estupinan - 448k
Mahmoud Dahoud - 503k
Joao Pedro - 677k
Danny Welbeck - 835k
Billy Gilmour - 941k

Kaoru Mitoma - 1.4million

Ansu Fati - 10.2million

I think so much is about club size when you see someone like Diogo Dalot has 2.9m.

Pascal Gross doesn't have an instagram. That feels like it fits his personality to me.
It's a pretty sound metric, I think, although it doesn't quite tell the full story.

A lot of the followers that the most popular there enjoy will have been picked up either pre-Albion, or for non-Albion reasons.

The two you've missed out, one of whom I'd say is going to be very popular, are Sarmiento (640k) and Enciso (565k).

Sticking it in the top corner from 30 yards against the likes of Man City and Chelsea (don't lose me here), is going to have the kids sit up and take notice. Enciso has exactly the kind of tekkers that the kids love and, like Mitoma, he ha a whole nation supporting him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a pretty sound metric, I think, although it doesn't quite tell the full story.

A lot of the followers that the most popular there enjoy will have been picked up either pre-Albion, or for non-Albion reasons.

The two you've missed out, one of whom I'd say is going to be very popular, are Sarmiento (640k) and Enciso (565k).

Sticking it in the top corner from 30 yards against the likes of Man City and Chelsea (don't lose me here), is going to have the kids sit up and take notice. Enciso has exactly the kind of tekkers that the kids love and, like Mitoma, he ha a whole nation supporting him.
As you say, there's a formula;

Young + Good-looking + National side representation + Signature Celebration + Big TikTok-worthy Moments in big games/against Big Clubs = Followers

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH if you told me Pascal didn’t use email and wrote letters to everyone, I’d probably believe that

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Napoleon_1.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its a very small sample size (FOUR), but in our house, the most popular Albion players are...

Veltman (me)
Solly (the wife)
Kaoru (younger lad)
Alzate! (older lad)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
TBH if you told me Pascal didn’t use email and wrote letters to everyone, I’d probably believe that
Don't you think it's ridiculous that Pascal is only 32?! I think of him as being older than me he looks and comes across so wise and mature, the fact he is 9 years younger blows my mind a little! My mates who are all in their early 30's I always think of as kids compared to me!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Pascal and Joel are my favourites, wee Billy is getting further up there by the week.

By contrast, my 9 year old loves Enciso and was adamant he was getting his name on the back of his shirt yesterday before the game. When we actually got to the shop, he asked for Ansu Fati and I just let him crack on with it. I think having a 'glamour player' that even a lot of his Man City/Arsenal/Liverpool 'supporting' chums have heard of makes it a bit easier to be left out of the 'big six' lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here