Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our Luck

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't follow your logic at all.

Firstly, neither of those incidents were penalties, so were rightly waved away.

Secondly, please explain why a Bournemouth player (Kerkev) making a huge blunder is 'a freak' and 'fortunate' for us, but a Brighton player (Verbruggen) making a similarly huge blunder was somehow something Bournemouth 'deserved'?
Agreed…I need read no further

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Even at the highest level of any sport luck will always be a factor. Luck should even itself out over a season and leave the cream at the top.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Having just watched the highlights on MOTD i was surprised that the Adingra flaying hand in the face was not given and as it was a `highlight`would imagine they thought too. I thought it was a penalty at the game but when i mentioned it to someone else in the pub he couldn`t even remember it.

Can only assume it was an accident but i,m sure we'd have been aggrieved if the boot was on the other foot.

The Pervis incident was six of one half a dozen of the other, if the ref had given it VAR would have probably gone with it.

Makes up for a foul on Cullip (I think) years ago at Withdean when he was outside the area and the ref gave Bmuff a penalty to draw!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I thought we were incredibly unlucky against AEK Athens, ricochet goals and freak headers coupled with great goal keeping proved to be our downfall. That said, boy were we lucky against Bournemouth. A shocking first half where we could easily have had two penalty decisions against us and a freak goal from a free kick saw our fortune swing the other way. I would be mightily aggrieved if I was a Bournemouth fan.
Didn’t see a penalty, think you ought to look again, as for luck I thought Bournemouth had the run of the ball yesterday,
And we won pretty comfortably, nothing to do with luck , we had Fati and Maitoma to change the game at half time , they had no subs to compare with ours and that is why we won the game

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Those penalty incidents were right in front of me, and trust me they were absolutely nowhere near a penalty.
This Bournemouth fan sees it differently 😉

From the bbc website

Drew: It's tough to play both the referee and the opposition. Brighton were woeful but a few key mistakes from the referee, and ourselves, led to both goals. I feel that the opposition will have to literally destroy our player in the box to get a penalty this season. The wait goes on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Makes up for a foul on Cullip (I think) years ago at Withdean when he was outside the area and the ref gave Bmuff a penalty to draw!
It was given for a handball (I think by Elphick?) when it was actually the Bournemouth player who handled it.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Those penalty incidents were right in front of me, and trust me they were absolutely nowhere near a penalty.
It’s not a question of trusting you. It’s not even a case of debating whether they should have been penalties or not. My point was simply that numerous times we’ve seen penalties given for this sort of thing, or even less (eg two in the Luton game). In that respect we were lucky.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Maybe all this is about fine margins rather than luck. Had the margins been broader, we could easily have beaten AEK and lost to Bournemouth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Neither was given so technically you’re right that they weren’t penalties. But they could very easily have been given by another ref and VAR, which was the OP's point re good fortune. No point in a forensic analysis of them after the event but we’ve 100% seen penalties given for very similar incidents. We got away with it. My heart was in my mouth when I saw the replays (I watched at home yesterday as I couldn’t get to the game). Penalties are largely a lottery. There were 2 penalties in the Luton game remember? And neither of them should have been awarded!
I very much doubt any ref would’ve given those as penalties. I saw them clearly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’d like to see more cards for this nonsense - if they go down they should be monitored for 10 mins and if the “injury” isn’t preset and affecting them then they should get a card.

If they are actually hurt then there will be a black eye or a red mark, examine the ****s and card them when there is nothing there.
10 mins off the pitch should be mandatory for it…….particularly the pretend ‘head injury’ that stops play when the opposition have the ball.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It certainly felt to be like the ball bounced Bournemouth's way most of the time. But it's hard to tell if that was luck, or a lack of aggression in the challenge by us (so a little dink on the ball to steal it away wasn't enough to take it far enough away they can't just instantly regain possession) or slow reactions from us (so the ball bouncing away from the challenge is picked up by Bournemouth players finding it first) etc.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
10 mins off the pitch should be mandatory for it…….particularly the pretend ‘head injury’ that stops play when the opposition have the ball.
Head injury assessment as in Rugby would work but no sub just to be mean.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I get where you guys are coming from re head injuries, it's maddening when teams use it as a spoiler tactic. But the opposite would be worse - we can't have genuinely concussed players being forced to play on for the last ten minutes of a game, it'd end in disaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here