Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our Luck

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I thought we were incredibly unlucky against AEK Athens, ricochet goals and freak headers coupled with great goal keeping proved to be our downfall. That said, boy were we lucky against Bournemouth. A shocking first half where we could easily have had two penalty decisions against us and a freak goal from a free kick saw our fortune swing the other way. I would be mightily aggrieved if I was a Bournemouth fan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought we were incredibly unlucky against AEK Athens, ricochet goals and freak headers coupled with great goal keeping proved to be our downfall. That said, boy were we lucky against Bournemouth. A shocking first half where we could easily have had two penalty decisions against us and a freak goal from a free kick saw our fortune swing the other way. I would be mightily aggrieved if I was a Bournemouth fan.
I don't follow your logic at all.

Firstly, neither of those incidents were penalties, so were rightly waved away.

Secondly, please explain why a Bournemouth player (Kerkev) making a huge blunder is 'a freak' and 'fortunate' for us, but a Brighton player (Verbruggen) making a similarly huge blunder was somehow something Bournemouth 'deserved'?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not sure I agree about yesterday to be honest. We were poor first half and Bournemouth thoroughly deserved to be ahead. BUT it still took an enormous wrick by the goalkeeper to gift them a goal. Granted the equaliser was very fortunate but we smashed them second half. I would have been a very aggrieved Brighton fan had we not won the game.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
All goals are due to defensive errors. I have to disagree with you about the penalty claims.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Having just watched the highlights on MOTD i was surprised that the Adingra flaying hand in the face was not given and as it was a `highlight`would imagine they thought too. I thought it was a penalty at the game but when i mentioned it to someone else in the pub he couldn`t even remember it.

Can only assume it was an accident but i,m sure we'd have been aggrieved if the boot was on the other foot.

The Pervis incident was six of one half a dozen of the other, if the ref had given it VAR would have probably gone with it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Pervis one was stupid of him, and had it been given I'd have been more angry with him for the clumsiness, than with Solanke for throwing himself to the ground.

The Adingra one - any contact was a total accident with zero force - and the cheating **** of a Bournemouth player should have been carded for his reaction.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
The Pervis one was stupid of him, and had it been given I'd have been more angry with him for the clumsiness, than with Solanke for throwing himself to the ground.

The Adingra one - any contact was a total accident with zero force - and the cheating **** of a Bournemouth player should have been carded for his reaction.
I agree but we've seen them given on both counts.
The way the game was going it just felt like it was going to be one of those days, first half was awful and atmosphere was just as bad.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Solanke was disgraceful throwing himself to the ground pretending his shoulder had been dislocated or broken or worse. He knew it and we knew it.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I don't think we were lucky.
A very poor first half, we gifted them their goal and they gifted us ours, we were extremely shite all half but did Bournemouth do anything noteworthy to deserve a lead? Nothing springs to mind.
Second half was a different kettle of fish altogether. We sorted out shit out and were the better side, nothing fortunate about our two great goals and we came away with the deserved 3 points.
Both penalty claims we've seen given, but we've also all seen worse not given. With the sheer ineptitude of officials these days does anyone know what is a pen and what isn't anymore?

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023

I’d like to see more cards for this nonsense - if they go down they should be monitored for 10 mins and if the “injury” isn’t preset and affecting them then they should get a card.

If they are actually hurt then there will be a black eye or a red mark, examine the ****s and card them when there is nothing there.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unless you are a Man City clubs often need a bit of fortune. I did think we were fortunate to go in level and did think draw would have been fair. Looking at other games thought WH robbed us playing like that. We outplayed Man Utd and Newcastle but in both games could have been 2 down. I certainly cant remember a game for a long time where we have been completely outplayed and nicked a win.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s a game of opinion and I respect yours. I have highlighted your last sentence as you are making a completely separate but obviously true statement.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
We played poorly but we weren't lucky yesterday. First half we were terrible and offered nothing but Bournemouth barely created anything and Bart wasn't really needed at all. Bournemouth worked hard but created little

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Yeah those definitely werent worthy penalty claims. Rightly dismissed by the ref and VAR. If those were penalties then there'd be 5 or 6 of them every game.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I thought we got absolutely no luck at all last season. Deflections, refereeing muggings, very ordinary keepers having the match of their lives against us. Things seem to be more even this season so far

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I don't follow your logic at all.

Firstly, neither of those incidents were penalties, so were rightly waved away.

Secondly, please explain why a Bournemouth player (Kerkev) making a huge blunder is 'a freak' and 'fortunate' for us, but a Brighton player (Verbruggen) making a similarly huge blunder was somehow something Bournemouth 'deserved'?
Neither was given so technically you’re right that they weren’t penalties. But they could very easily have been given by another ref and VAR, which was the OP's point re good fortune. No point in a forensic analysis of them after the event but we’ve 100% seen penalties given for very similar incidents. We got away with it. My heart was in my mouth when I saw the replays (I watched at home yesterday as I couldn’t get to the game). Penalties are largely a lottery. There were 2 penalties in the Luton game remember? And neither of them should have been awarded!

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Neither was given so technically you’re right that they weren’t penalties. But they could very easily have been given by another ref and VAR, which was the OP's point re good fortune. No point in a forensic analysis of them after the event but we’ve 100% seen penalties given for very similar incidents. We got away with it. My heart was in my mouth when I saw the replays (I watched at home yesterday as I couldn’t get to the game). Penalties are largely a lottery. There were 2 penalties in the Luton game remember? And neither of them should have been awarded!
We only got away with it if the majority of people think they were penalties which most people don't so they're not....

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Being a low-scoring game, football is more influenced by luck and chance compared to other sports. It's an essential part of the match, and all you can do is celebrate when it turns your way (or turns against your rivals) and commiserate when it doesn't, not much to say really
Low scoring? Have you watched us recently? (I know, in context to other sports!)

Cheating ....? I think not. Young Simon could have killed him with that half hearted bitch slap ??? :thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Those penalty incidents were right in front of me, and trust me they were absolutely nowhere near a penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here