Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our goalkeeper options next season, and beyond

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless it’s a first team goalie, with a view to releasing Steele when Rushworth is deemed capable of challenging.

Tricky one 😃
Losing Sanchez from the group - and/or Steele for that matter - from the group will be a big risk. If we're looking at getting in a better GK than Sanchez, it will need to be a very, very high quality GK - and bringing in an expensive superstar doesn't always improve the team. Think CR7, Pogba, Lukaku - and we, as Brighton, are probably more reliant on the strength of out team ethic than 'big six' clubs packed with superstar talent.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Losing Sanchez from the group - and/or Steele for that matter - from the group will be a big risk. If we're looking at getting in a better GK than Sanchez, it will need to be a very, very high quality GK - and bringing in an expensive superstar doesn't always improve the team. Think CR&, Pogba, Lukaku - and we, as Brighton, are probably more reliant on the strength of out team ethic than 'big six' clubs packed with superstar talent.
But as we’ve seen the criteria isn’t necessarily a great goalkeeper, who can kick the ball, it’s a competent goalie who’s great with his feet.

I think we’ll have someone left field in mind.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
From watching our YouTube output, I don't sense a lot of love for Sanchez from the other players. There's quite a few comments in the "who is...." section that dig Sanchez out for being over confident and in love with himself.

His stats are also a lot worse than Steele's for saving shots on target this season.

Sanchez 67.6%
Steele 80.8%

A smaller sample for Steele, but over the course of the season, that would place him top of the league.

Last edited:

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
I wonder if it could be prep for Europe if we get there. Having two capable keepers I’m Bob and Steele with league, two cups and Europe should be enough to give them both a good amount of game time. If we get there of course.…

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sometimes (often) a new manager will want to make his mark, often by moving on someone previously a first /automatic choice. I'm not sure he's not doing this with Sanchez. I for one would be very disappointed to lose Big Bob, but I suspect that he will be off in the summer.
Rushworth is doing well - probably needs to move up a division next season before he is potentially PL ready. At 32, barring injury, Steele should be able to carry on at least another seasom if RCZ rates him no.1.
Leaving aside Beadle's about jokes (and I wish everyone did!) he is worth watching; Rushworth is very good - but Beadle's only playing at one division lower - and he's three years younger.
Rushworth has proved himself for a period of time at a decent level.
I doubt Beadle’s about to overtake him anytime soon.

Ps
Sorry.
You made me do it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rushworth has proved himself for a period of time at a decent level.
I doubt Beadle’s about to overtake him anytime soon.
Sanchez was behind Walton for a long time .....................

Not saying that Beadle will overtake Rushworth, or even that either or both of them will 'make it' - it just looks very hopeful in both cases.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This isn't the first time this has happened. Older readers will remember when the keep who stopped shots and goals (Kuipers) was replaced by a keeper (Calamity Wayne Henderson) who as he proudly proclaimed 'was signed for his distribution'. The keeper who saved shots and goals duly improved his kicking and eventually returned. Could be we will have a similar scenario if Steele starts creatively letting in goals from all circumstances like Hendo, but I doubt it. Steele has clearly regained his confidence as a keeper, so I think he will hold on to his place at the moment. Big Bob needs to be ready to step in like Steele has done. Who knows, he could end up an FA Cup winner and our keeper for a European cup run instead
Just as my nightmares over Henderson in the last minute at Bournemouth were just easing, I'm now cast back into hell with sleepless nights guaranteed for months ahead.

Thanks.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just as my nightmares over Henderson in the last minute at Bournemouth were just easing, I'm now cast back into hell with sleepless nights guaranteed for months ahead.

Thanks.
I'm so sorry. I still have the same dreadful memories of Henderson. That Bournemouth match was one of the handful of away matches I ever attended.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rob will leave, quite sure about that. He'll want to be assured he is a starter or otherwise he'll want to leave, and I don't think RDZ will promise him anything.

Jason Steele will stay but should not be a starter in a team wanting to be consistent top 10 team.

Would imagine a rather cheap but experienced keeper (maybe Consigli who was his keeper in all those Sassuolo seasons) coming in while Rushworth and Beadle stand on growth for another year, maybe they can get a loan in a good league.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Correct me if I’m wrong but the pecking order is :
Steele
Sanchez
Scherpen
Rushworth
MacGill
Beadle

The odd ones out there imo are scherpen (not good enough for first team, Steele is a good first team deputy).
MacGill - he’s in the same bracket as Rushworth but hasn’t done as well.
I don’t consider Sanchez an odd one out and it will be mistake to sell him. None of the existing army of keepers are good enough to replace him in the first team.

So next season:
New first choice keeper (sadly)
Steele (number two/first team ready)
Rushworth (championship loan if it doesn’t leave us too thin , or pushing first team)
Beadle (league one loan)
An other young keeper

Out: Sanchez , macgill , scherpen ,

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Correct me if I’m wrong but the pecking order is :
Steele
Sanchez
Scherpen
Rushworth
MacGill
Beadle
Scherpen ahead of Rushworth and McGill? I don't think so - he is surely on a 'shop-window' type loan. Difficult to place McGill - I don't think he's had a signnificant loan, and we haven't seen much of him. Good enough to be here as first choice, I suppose.So next season:
So, next season -
New first choice keeper (sadly)
Steele (number two/first team ready)

Out: Sanchez , macgill , scherpen ,
Shudder. :(

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fwiw, I say ditch the Albion keeper, & bring in Previs, and two from Fergie, Solly, Mitoma & Ali Mac.

I have PE, KM & EF and non-Albion GK’s.
Steele is incredible value at £3.9m though if he's getting regular fame time...I have Mitoma already of course but Steele is amazing value. I already have Mitoma along with Rashford,Fernandes, Trossard and Martinelli. So,not going to change that midfield five..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here