Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our goalkeeper options next season, and beyond

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thought about writing this on the bounced Walton thread but really deserves a thread of its own. Who do we think we'll have in between the sticks next season and, perhaps, long term? We really do have a ridiculous number of keepers on the books.

Current First Team
We currently have the Big Bob v Steele battle going on, a battle that seems to be based not on shot stopping, but who is prepared to play the most accurate short passes under the press. Then there's Tom McGill who at 23 doesn't seem close yet but has played for England Under 17s.

Out on Loan
Scherpen has played 18 times for Vitesse this season and was called up to the full squad as cover for Tim Krul. Rushworth has played 34 times for mid table League One Lincoln. Will either of these two break into the first team squad if Big Bob hits the road?

Ones for the future?
Here's why I struggle a little but I'm sure someone like @AZ Gull could help. Our two U21s (from their profile on the club site) don't seem to have done much. We have three current U18 keepers - will they all be retained? And apparently, the U16s also recently beat PSG U16s in Paris. Might be some talent in there too?

Or.....?
Could we dip into the transfer market if we get a fee for Sanchez or A.N. Other? "Wanted, Goalkeeper, must be good with feet and prepared to play a five yard straight pass to a CM under enormous pressure".

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Beadle is on loan at Crewe I believe.

I have a feeling Sanchez will go and Rushworth will have another year on loan, so possibly a new goalkeeper.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Tom McGills contract expires at the end of this season, wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on given he’s just been called up for the Canadian national team.

There’s also Lorenz Ferdinand in our under 18’s who’s highly rated.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So, is Steele first choice now unless he catches a crab and cocks up ? ....asking as a concerned Fantasy Football manager...

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I think Big Bob will be off. I think RDZ will have someone in mind and I suspect we will move quickly on this, once season ends. Wouldn't be that surprised if Martinez leaves Villa and Big Bob replaces him...

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Bob Sanchez is one of the best young goalkeepers in Europe. He will enjoy a career at the top level.
Getting rid of him would be a reckless and unnecessary move.
De Zerbi can do no wrong atm but if Sanchez leaves and we lose a few it will come back and haunt him. Potentially his first clanger.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Tom McGills contract expires at the end of this season, wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on given he’s just been called up for the Canadian national team.

There’s also Lorenz Ferdinand in our under 18’s who’s highly rated.
On June 3 2022 Albion announced that they had activated an option to extend McGill's contract. However, on July 29 2022 they made another announcement that he had signed a new one-year deal. That leads me to believe that the new deal may well incorporate a further one-year option on the club's behalf.

Of course, he may well leave this summer, but I wouldn't automatically assume that he will be a free agent.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think Big Bob will be back in pole position before the end of the season with Jason a proven back up for a top 6/8 Premier team. We then have 3/4 youngsters, one of which we hope will make that level. It's what we do.

But it is getting harder, season on season. At the time we signed Walton his current form would have seen him a regular in the first team. The problem is we are progressing the first team at such a rate that signing a youngster for where we'll be in 4 or 5 years time must be almost impossible :shrug:

Almost :wink:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I still believe that the reason that Sanchez was dropped, had more to do with his clanger at Palace than his ability to pass under pressure.
RDZ said all the right things after the Palace game, and kept Sanchez in goal for the next game, before using the excuse that Steel had played well at Stoke in the FAC and deserved his chance.

I therefore fully expect Sanchez to be back as number 1 next season, unless we receive a silly offer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sometimes (often) a new manager will want to make his mark, often by moving on someone previously a first /automatic choice. I'm not sure he's not doing this with Sanchez. I for one would be very disappointed to lose Big Bob, but I suspect that he will be off in the summer.
Rushworth is doing well - probably needs to move up a division next season before he is potentially PL ready. At 32, barring injury, Steele should be able to carry on at least another seasom if RCZ rates him no.1.
Leaving aside Beadle's about jokes (and I wish everyone did!) he is worth watching; Rushworth is very good - but Beadle's only playing at one division lower - and he's three years younger.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm hoping we go large on a quality first choice goalkeeper in the summer. Uğurcan Çakir from Trabzonspor who we were supposedly looking at last season looks a good option. Best save percentage of any keeper in Europe (may have been last season but I definitely read that somewhere), great distribution, Europa League experience, 20 odd international caps for Turkey and probably still yet to peak at 26.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Beadle is on loan at Crewe I believe.

I have a feeling Sanchez will go and Rushworth will have another year on loan, so possibly a new goalkeeper.
see that’s a really tough one, cause if we bring in a new goalkeeper, you’d imagine it’d be a well considered purchase, i.e someone who’d be good enough to play many season for us, and do you then start blocking the pathways of beadle/rushworth after they’ve come back from loan?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This isn't the first time this has happened. Older readers will remember when the keep who stopped shots and goals (Kuipers) was replaced by a keeper (Calamity Wayne Henderson) who as he proudly proclaimed 'was signed for his distribution'. The keeper who saved shots and goals duly improved his kicking and eventually returned. Could be we will have a similar scenario if Steele starts creatively letting in goals from all circumstances like Hendo, but I doubt it. Steele has clearly regained his confidence as a keeper, so I think he will hold on to his place at the moment. Big Bob needs to be ready to step in like Steele has done. Who knows, he could end up an FA Cup winner and our keeper for a European cup run instead

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
see that’s a really tough one, cause if we bring in a new goalkeeper, you’d imagine it’d be a well considered purchase, i.e someone who’d be good enough to play many season for us, and do you then start blocking the pathways of beadle/rushworth after they’ve come back from loan?
Unless it’s a first team goalie, with a view to releasing Steele when Rushworth is deemed capable of challenging.

Tricky one 😃

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here