Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Full Backs

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Two new ones needed in the summer?

Or El Abd at RB and Greer with Dunk in the Middle?

I know we have Painter to come back, but Calderon and Vincelot were both poor last night.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Two new ones needed in the summer?

Or El Abd at RB and Greer with Dunk in the Middle?

I know we have Painter to come back, but Calderon and Vincelot were both poor last night.

AEA is an UTTERLY shit full back. Please can people stop suggesting this.

As for Calde and Painter, I think it's fair to say that the jury is still out on both at Championship level. Calde has had some very difficult games, but he was terrific v Bristol City.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Calde was poor tonight but he was very good against bristol. Deserves a season at this level to see if he can find his feet.

Vincelot is a utility player and does a good job. IMO

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
El Abd got torn a new one at Reading on Boxing day. My father in law, who has not seen Brighton play for years, turned to me and said you're right back is getting skinned. (he also said that our keeper was awful and when was our first choice keeper coming back? When I explained that Ankergren was first choice he nearly fell off his chair)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought our fullbacks for whatever reason were woeful last night. How many times were Wrexham able to either pass their way round them or run past them last night. I know Chisel Witch is good, but for goodness sake both Calderon and Vincelot were horribly exposed. No wonder Gus likes the wide midfielders to help out defending (and sacrifice some attacking play).

On last night's performance I can see opposition teams continually targetting them (especially Calderon) as it's clearly a massive weak link.

On the flip side, I hope Calderon is still regaining full fitness and will improve, and the pitch last night didn't help (as shown by our poor passing).

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's either Tanno or AEA and tbh at least AEA tries to get a challenge in instead of trying to trap him and getting beaten

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Calde was poor tonight but he was very good against bristol. Deserves a season at this level to see if he can find his feet.

Vincelot is a utility player and does a good job. IMO

Calderon is now quite slow, so if a team can isolate him he's vulnerable. Bristol City couldn't manage it, but Wrexham managed it with ease. Perhaps the midfield need to take some blame.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
What worried me about Calde last night was his decisions and his positioning. On a tricky pitch with quick players running at you any full back can be beaten but on a few occasions he looked bad because of his positioning, either stepping out the line too early or being tucked in too much.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Yes we need 2 new full backs, for every fullback we have there are questions and doubts, they are all good enough to be backup and come in for odd games but for a team who wants to push on they are not good enough week in week out, however they should see us through this season.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I totally agree that Gus needs to get a grip on the full back positions as we are so vulnerable to pace down the flanks which gives the opposition too much chances to fire in crosses and in turn put our keeper under pressure - and we all know how poor we were at dealing with crosses!

Ideally we would remain loyal to players who got us into the Championship but if they consistently struggle then we have to move on. As someone pointed out Calderon had a good game against Bristol City but then Brizzle are not really Championship calibre at the moment so not the best yardstick to judge him by. We need someone who can do the business against the better sides.

Sadly Painter (another of our League 1 championship heroes) is being exposed at this level with his vulnerability to pace and gives away too many fouls as a result. Plus this obliges Nooney to provide more defensive cover on that flank than is ideal.

I would like to see Reyes plus another full back brought in. Unfortunately Reyes seems to be back in favour at WBA (for now) so may have missed our chance to do a good deal.

On a positive note I would persevere with Greer / Dunk / El Abd in the centre as they seem to be adapting to this level and have Vincelot as cover. Hall looks worth developing too. Hopefully Elphick will get back in the frame sometime.

This is all about developing a squad that will consistently perform in the top 6 next season.

themightyalbion

Mar 28, 2010
Yes I agree. Vincelot is a very good utility player who doeas a respectable job as a full back. Calde is a better player than he showed last night, but it happens. Is he not still coming back from time off?
Let the Boss do his job..................if they were not good enough, they would have gone by now!!

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
They both had a poor game. I guess you could blame the pitch or Calderon's injury, but they didn't put in the same great performance we saw against Bristol city.

Vincelot has never really looked as out of his depth as he did last night, so hopefully it was just a bad day at the office for him. Calderon was often in the wrong place, but when he was where he should be, he showed some of the class and 'swashbuckling' we saw last season.

I'd love Reyes back, but I doubt that will happen now due to the wage structure, and he's getting Premier League football right now. I hope Calderon continues to get his form back, and when Painter returns he is able to be the same Mister Consistent he was last season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
tad unfair to single out just the full backs from last nights performance imho...typical cup game...non league (top of it and former league) side ..well organised..passionate home crowd..player manager scores wonder goal...nice bumpy pitch ...we play naff (all over the pitch)...and scrape thru on penalties..undeserved but we did the job...now newcastle at home...lovely

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I think Calderon struggled in both games against Wrexham but in between was quality against Bristol City. Perhaps Wrexham just had him sussed and he has only just come back from injury so willing to see how he goes.
Vincelot was very poor last night but hen agin its not really his position but never seems to be outstanding in any position but just OK. Again early days with him but it would seem as if a full back is needed.

If there was anyway we could have kept Cook then we should have done it as he looked very promising.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
tough call at the moment because every side we play targets our full backs. That means playing a winger to defend as much as he attacks and either Hoskins or Barnes who should be the support striker are pushed out wide to act as a defensive wingback. The result is no service to CMS who is effectively all alone up front unless the central midfielders are prepared to take a gamble and get into the box (JFC) or shoot accurately from distance (Spaz). Failing that we pass the ball around with no end product and are very vulnerable to counter attacks. It all comes from the same place!

Much as I like and admire Calde he doesn't have the positional discipline needed at this level while Vincelot would be more effective in the centre or even defensive midfield. As a utility player he gives us cover for sure but you can't expect him to be the best in every position. Painter is a better full back than he is given credit for but lacks that bit of pace so yes, we need to replace and improve the full backs on both sides if we are to get the best out of our star strikers - the link is there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here