Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our away end is full of

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Northern away games are always better for the quality of fan who attends. Can't imagine there will be many of our idiot fans tomorrow night either.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Seem to be more twats like this than we used to get - but maybe that's just the by-product of being successful. Find it quite embarrassing at times, not because they're drunk, mouthy or immature as that was probably always the case. It's that nowadays they seem to have no respect for fellow Albion fans and no restraint in front of women and little kids.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Same as every other club. We have no larger percentage of twats than anywhere else.

Probably less on average i'd say. It's pretty much a fact Leeds & Millwall have more for starters :lol:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Seem to be more twats like this than we used to get - but maybe that's just the by-product of being successful. Find it quite embarrassing at times, not because they're drunk, mouthy or immature as that was probably always the case. It's that nowadays they seem to have no respect for fellow Albion fans and no restraint in front of women and little kids.

That is really not a new thing.

hertsseagull

hertsseagull
May 15, 2011
Quite heartened by this thread as the OP's post is something I've wanted to say myself for a couple of years but have been afraid of being flamed for it, particularly as I'm not a regular poster on here.

I take my two kids (10 and 13) to four or five away games a season (we live in Hertfordshire so although we're STHs probably only make 60-70% of home games) and I'm always nervous when we get to the away ground to see who we'll be sitting next to. It's pot luck whether it's decent fans (the majority) or idiots (a small but not insignificant minority). A couple of times (Forest away, Derby away) it's got out of hand and we've had to try and move seats.

I emailed Paul Barber about this over the summer to see if it might be possible to have a very small number of 'family away' seats for each away game at the front of the away end (the hardcore seem to prefer the back). Paul sent me a speedy and comprehensive response, understanding the issue, but explained why it was not possible for various practical reasons (the explanation was more than fair enough and considered, it wasn't just excuses).

No solution to this really (other perhaps than a return of the Goldstone "It's back to school tomorrow" chant to quieten down the hard lad teenage brigade, anyone remember that one?!), I just hope away stewards are understanding if I ask to move seats when I feel the need. Like the OP, I've considered not going to away games but then conclude I don't want a few idiots to change what I like to do a few times a season.

Anyway, off to Newcastle on Saturday, hoping for a good day out and 3 points!

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
You also realise in these situations how bl**dy dangerous it is standing in a seated area when everyone is leaping about. In the old days you would take a step forward if you overbalanced, but now you just go straight over the chair in front.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
That is really not a new thing.

Yep...50+ years of watching football and I can remember all too clearly the mood swing in football around the late 60's.Before then, adults would look out for kids and ensure they were ushered to the front, so they could see. Men would be respectful of women in the crowd. All that changed and it became a free for all. Football became more ugly, more violent, more selfish. Run with the pack or take your chance. It was a hairy ride, never knowing when the next outburst of fighting would occur and whether you would be caught up in it. Language became more coarser, more racist, more public.The humorous wag gave way to the foul mouthed yob.
Years and years of ugliness and decay and complacency and then deaths.Multiple deaths. And then, finally, action. The game appeared to clean itself up. Families were attracted back. Many more women started coming back into football and attending games felt more comfortable. Has it eradicated ignorance and bad behaviour? No. Will it ever? No. An away day at football, within a certain radius, has always attracted a particular type of fan. You can spot them a mile off. They wear their ignorance like a badge of honour. You see them lurching through the turnstiles, with a glazed look in their eyes. They emerge on the concourse, like a fawn being born, slightly unsure of their legs. They spot the long queues for drinks, swear profusely and then stagger off to the loos. After relieving themselves of about 2 litres of fluid and not washing their hands, they set about the main task of getting another drink. This involves 4-5 of them, fidgetting, swearing and then, eventually leering at the 17 year old kiosk operator, whilst ordering copious quantities of alcohol, much of which is spilt, before it reaches the mouth. They don't really bother much about where they are sitting. They reach high up the stand about 5 minutes after kick off, spilling enough food to feed a third world village. They last 15 minutes more into the game before their bladders can take no more and then its back down to the loos again, unsettling everyone around them. Now comes the dilemma. They are back down on the concourse, near the bars and haven't a clue what is going on in the game. They don't really care what is going on, so they have another drink. After much tooing and froing, conscience finally gets the better of them ( they realise they have spent £25 on a ticket and better see what all the fuss is about ) and rather reluctantly and resentfully, they take up their seats again for the second half on or around the 52nd minute. The next 15 minutes is spent extolling the virtues of the chest dimensions of the young lady who served them copious quantities of alcohol, various repetitions of their informed take on the game, such as..." This is crap "..." I've never been so facking bored in my life "....and " How much longer are we gonna watch this shite for? " They are desperate for the opposition to go ahead, so they can vent the most unbelievable bile at BHA. Two down is even better. Cue exit and a bee-line for the first available watering hole near the ground. Much much later that same day, they are all asleep on the train home. One finally stirs and then another. He looks at him semi-glazed and sleepily and says..." any idea how United got on ? "

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yep...50+ years of watching football and I can remember all too clearly the mood swing in football around the late 60's.Before then, adults would look out for kids and ensure they were ushered to the front, so they could see. Men would be respectful of women in the crowd. All that changed and it became a free for all. Football became more ugly, more violent, more selfish. Run with the pack or take your chance. It was a hairy ride, never knowing when the next outburst of fighting would occur and whether you would be caught up in it. Language became more coarser, more racist, more public.The humorous wag gave way to the foul mouthed yob.
Years and years of ugliness and decay and complacency and then deaths.Multiple deaths. And then, finally, action. The game appeared to clean itself up. Families were attracted back. Many more women started coming back into football and attending games felt more comfortable. Has it eradicated ignorance and bad behaviour? No. Will it ever? No. An away day at football, within a certain radius, has always attracted a particular type of fan. You can spot them a mile off. They wear their ignorance like a badge of honour. You see them lurching through the turnstiles, with a glazed look in their eyes. They emerge on the concourse, like a fawn being born, slightly unsure of their legs. They spot the long queues for drinks, swear profusely and then stagger off to the loos. After relieving themselves of about 2 litres of fluid and not washing their hands, they set about the main task of getting another drink. This involves 4-5 of them, fidgetting, swearing and then, eventually leering at the 17 year old kiosk operator, whilst ordering copious quantities of alcohol, much of which is spilt, before it reaches the mouth. They don't really bother much about where they are sitting. They reach high up the stand about 5 minutes after kick off, spilling enough food to feed a third world village. They last 15 minutes more into the game before their bladders can take no more and then its back down to the loos again, unsettling everyone around them. Now comes the dilemma. They are back down on the concourse, near the bars and haven't a clue what is going on in the game. They don't really care what is going on, so they have another drink. After much tooing and froing, conscience finally gets the better of them ( they realise they have spent £25 on a ticket and better see what all the fuss is about ) and rather reluctantly and resentfully, they take up their seats again for the second half on or around the 52nd minute. The next 15 minutes is spent extolling the virtues of the chest dimensions of the young lady who served them copious quantities of alcohol, various repetitions of their informed take on the game, such as..." This is crap "..." I've never been so facking bored in my life "....and " How much longer are we gonna watch this shite for? " They are desperate for the opposition to go ahead, so they can vent the most unbelievable bile at BHA. Two down is even better. Cue exit and a bee-line for the first available watering hole near the ground. Much much later that same day, they are all asleep on the train home. One finally stirs and then another. He looks at him semi-glazed and sleepily and says..." any idea how United got on ? "

£25?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Home games too . The Rotherham game heading to the exit for the concourse WSU . Attendance announcement over the PA . Cue for a wankers sign to the 200+ hardy away fans . Why ?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I go to quite a few away games and have rarely seen bad behaviour from Albion fans,and that usually under extreme provocation!The allegations that the bad boys are dole claimants is puerile and irritating.Most of recent court cases have involved City types,bankers,stockbrokers etc.The Chelsea racists in Paris are a good example of where these scum tend to originate.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Drunk people at football!???
OFFICERS!!!!!!!!!!!!:moo:

I haven't seen anyone moan about drunk people on this thread. It's drunk TWATS that people are moaning about. (If you don't understand the difference, maybe someone will explain it to you)

Personally I find sober TWATS just as irritating.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I go to quite a few away games and have rarely seen bad behaviour from Albion fans,and that usually under extreme provocation!The allegations that the bad boys are dole claimants is puerile and irritating.Most of recent court cases have involved City types,bankers,stockbrokers etc.The Chelsea racists in Paris are a good example of where these scum tend to originate.
What about the 4 or 5 Brighton lads banned from football after the Euros? Don't think any of them are city types, certainly not the case for the one I know.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ChazzyBHA

Dec 27, 2011
I also saw the incident that the OP is talking about as I was stood a couple of rows back from it. It was more or less straight after the first goal and it all turned a bit unsavoury as a young lad fell over the row he was standing in and landed on top of a fellow fan, which was no doubt down to him having too much to drink. About 10 minutes later they were all fine and shook hands etc, but it was still not nice to see. Now I am a "teenager" and I do often attend away games with my other teenage mates, and we have never had any trouble. This does often put me off going to some of the local away games as sometimes as the OP says, it ruins the away day experience for others when others get completely legless. But every football club has these sorts of fans, its just a case of trying to avoid them really! 99% of our away followers are amazing and it is just a very small minority that are like this.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I also saw the incident that the OP is talking about as I was stood a couple of rows back from it. It was more or less straight after the first goal and it all turned a bit unsavoury as a young lad fell over the row he was standing in and landed on top of a fellow fan, which was no doubt down to him having too much to drink. About 10 minutes later they were all fine and shook hands etc, but it was still not nice to see. Now I am a "teenager" and I do often attend away games with my other teenage mates, and we have never had any trouble. This does often put me off going to some of the local away games as sometimes as the OP says, it ruins the away day experience for others when others get completely legless. But every football club has these sorts of fans, its just a case of trying to avoid them really! 99% of our away followers are amazing and it is just a very small minority that are like this.

Spot on.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Some really hard teenagers sat in the row behind me and were gobbing off about they would sit where they want....and no one will make us move.......that was until a chap with his 2 daughters asked them to move.......off they went,......drunk gobby teenagers....

such pearls coming out their mouths....wheres Zamora? whos the manager again? must be regulars and how do they get tickets?

So surely there's no issue because they moved, despite the bravado.

This thread happens after every local away game, everyone just needs to be a bit more accommodating. Accept that some people like getting pissed and swearing, and pissheads should be a bit more mindful of old people and children. It's really not difficult :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here