Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our average league gate will be over 26k..,

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Not quite right. Had the capacity been greater, the attendances would have been far higher for big matches such as Man U, Liverpool etc. This would have increased the average a fair bit.

You say that, but I went to Man U and Liverpool matches at the Goldstone, in 1980/81 & 1981/82, never bought a ticket, just turned up and paid at the turnstyle. If there was that much demand then surely this wouldn't have been possible.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Just looked it up in Carder and Harris. Prior to the Amex our best seasons for average attendances (over 20,000) were:

77/78 - 25,264
79/80 - 24,795
58/59 - 22,460
78/79 - 22,074
76/77 - 20,183

So only five season in our history have we had average crowds of over 20,000, and all late 70s except for 1958/59. Interestingly the average for 80/81 (when the novelty of being a struggling top division team had long worn off) was 18,969 and it was then downhill all the way.

EDIT: Should point out that this is HOME LEAGUE attendances only.

Strange how 78/79 is way down on 77/78. There were no reductions in capacity until Summer 1979, and 78/79 saw a more successful team.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
How was it it easy to get in without [a ticket] or paying? I always found a grotty little wooden door you had to pass through, pay over your wedge, then push through a rusty turnstyle, can't think of any way to get in otherwise.
My dad used to push me through the same turnstile as he used - two for the price one!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Strange how 78/79 is way down on 77/78. There were no reductions in capacity until Summer 1979, and 78/79 saw a more successful team.

Attendances nationally were dropping until it reached an all time low during the1985-86 season. We bucked the trend in our debut season in the top flight then fell during the next couple of seasons.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am no longer allowed to comment on attendances - but "a friend" of mine says you are correct with those pre Amex figures. We are nailed on for over 26k this season which will be our best ever - JCL's and plastics - I love them.:albion2::kiss:

Does this mean your electronic tag beeps every time you get out your abacus Major old chap?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Amazing times,is it possible to get 30,000 with the segregation in place?

el punal

The highest average attendance was 1977/78 season at 25,500+/-. There were some massive crowds then with 30,000+ for the visits of Southampton, Spurs, Charlton and Blackpool. Equally, there were some of less than 20,000. Different era as it was turn up and pay at the gate with the odd exception.

This season the attendances have a more even spread from 24,500ish to 26,500+/- and with the ground capacity increased the last two games exceeding 28,000.

This, in my opinion, shows the huge commitment of Albion fans in supporting the club either by turning up for every game or in financial terms by purchasing a season ticket even if they're a "no-show".

It will be interesting to see how attendances pan out next season if we don't get promoted. I feel that we still have momentum in our quest for the holy grail which will be reflected in either the same, or, increased crowds.

Does this mean your electronic tag beeps every time you get out your abacus Major old chap?

How many times do I have to tell you not to mention my " old chap " in public?

You'll start off Liz Costa again.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Although back in those days wasn't it easier to get in without a ticket? In which case the recorded figure is actually lower than real attendance. And today they report a figure higher than the actual attendance, so you work out the rest.

Which days?

There weren't any tickets, it was POTG!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You say that, but I went to Man U and Liverpool matches at the Goldstone, in 1980/81 & 1981/82, never bought a ticket, just turned up and paid at the turnstyle. If there was that much demand then surely this wouldn't have been possible.

I just looked those attendances up on Hiney's excellent site and I have to say I'm very surprised the level of interest had fallen off so much. 23000 for both Liverpool and Man U and the palace attendance was only 27000! Some games, like Middlesbrough for instance, were very poorly attended with only 12000 turning up. The return fixture at Selhurst with palace however was a very poor 18000. Sounds familiar? :p

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Sit down you mug only the last four rows are allowed to stand :thumbsup:

Stood in North on Tuesday------------------carry on----you won't last long on here until you acquire a sense of humour----and not even then---cheerio mug:) Oh by the way I don't like half n half scarves either but I don't slag off our fans that do:albion2:

snide island

Mar 20, 2013
Stood in North on Tuesday------------------carry on----you won't last long on here until you acquire a sense of humour----and not even then---cheerio mug:) Oh by the way I don't like half n half scarves either but I don't slag off our fans that do:albion2:

You didnt understand my post , why the thumbs up at the end cos it was only banter :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here