Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Other teams Transfer Business

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Rogerio has done well at Sassuolo and I really wanted us to get Lewis. Both great signings. Bit more sense from Newcastle this year it seems. Think Hendrick is seriously underrated.
Lot of teams starting to make decent signings.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Newcastle signing Jamal Lewis is great business for them. Would have been happy with his addition.
Feel the same regarding Eze going to Palace.
Leeds and West Brom have both strengthened. Watkins looking likely to go to Villa.
Things are getting competitive.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Newcastle signing Jamal Lewis is great business for them. Would have been happy with his addition.
Leeds and West Brom have both strengthened. Watkins looking likely to go to Villa.

We need to up our game.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton

It is surprising how much some teams are strengthening and spending.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We need to up our game.

I am incredulous how some fans seem to think Bloom should finance us to their expectations. I am as frustrated as anyone (apart from B.W.2 :lolol:) but I do not expect him to throw caution to the wind to satisfy needy fans. Best go and support a team that are happy to risk their future. Have a look at the Championship BIG teams who would cut their arms off to have what we have.

Sorry but it really pisses me off that so many of us have become so entitled and expect Bloom to carry on pissing away (and that is what he’s doing) his fortune on us

This post is not directed at you personally but it is the one I chose to quote to make the point.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It is surprising how much some teams are strengthening and spending.

Which of our realistic bottom-half competitors have significantly strengthened? A few Championship punts and instigators-of-relegation? A few making loan moves permanent (so not really strengthening from last season)? Possibly Leeds have hit gold with Rodders and Cock?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Which of our realistic bottom-half competitors have significantly strengthened? A few Championship punts and instigators-of-relegation? Possibly Leeds have hit gold with Rodders and Cock?

Fools Gold more like

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Which of our realistic bottom-half competitors have significantly strengthened? A few Championship punts and instigators-of-relegation? A few making loan moves permanent (so not really strengthening from last season)? Possibly Leeds have hit gold with Rodders and Cock?

Exactly - Fulham, West Brom, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Southampton, Palace, West Ham, Villa, - All of which have either made no signings or 1-2 punts in the £10-20m range .
Leeds have spent a fair bit - they needed to/can now afford to, Wolves look likely to - but thats no surprise. And the Newcastle crop looks interesting but their striker signings in the past have hardly hit paydirt - Jolinton (40m !!) , Caroll and Gayle.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
£35.6 million
How the hell do the Albion compete with that, it's nigh on impossible:nono:

It's a lot of money but when Joao Felix costs £113million and there is only two years between them it could be an absolute bargain. Wolves will feel he has the potential to be in the same conversation as Mbappe, Felix and Haaland if they get his progression right.

In fact, in comparison to other "wonderkid" moves, it's really not that mad. It's just because it is Wolves that it seems crazy but the reality is that they earned around £50million more than us last season for their performance domestically and continentally. They also have a ridiculously low wage bill (£4m a season less than us) so are in essence at least £55millon better off than we are before you even start to contemplate what their ownership model might chip in to top up the budget.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Exactly - Fulham, West Brom, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Southampton, Palace, West Ham, Villa, - All of which have either made no signings or 1-2 punts in the £10-20m range .
Leeds have spent a fair bit - they needed to/can now afford to, Wolves look likely to - but thats no surprise. And the Newcastle crop looks interesting but their striker signings in the past have hardly hit paydirt - Jolinton (40m !!) , Caroll and Gayle.

Are there any clubs who have spent less than us in this window?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's a lot of money but when Joao Felix costs £113million and there is only two years between them it could be an absolute bargain. Wolves will feel he has the potential to be in the same conversation as Mbappe, Felix and Haaland if they get his progression right.

In fact, in comparison to other "wonderkid" moves, it's really not that mad. It's just because it is Wolves that it seems crazy but the reality is that they earned around £50million more than us last season for their performance domestically and continentally. They also have a ridiculously low wage bill (£4m a season less than us) so are in essence at least £55millon better off than we are before you even start to contemplate what their ownership model might chip in to top up the budget.

I’d be interested to know the wage comparison between Wolves and us for 2019/20, once Companies House have the accounts in circa 6 months time.

The Albion aren’t profligate in paying some huge wages (such as CP, West Ham and Stains). Whilst Wolves lured well known internationals.

Until we see the actual accounts, it’s just guess work.

Btw I agree with your other comments,

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I’d be interested to know the wage comparison between Wolves and us for 2019/20, once Companies House have the accounts in circa 6 months time.

The Albion aren’t profligate in paying some huge wages (such as CP, West Ham and Stains). Whilst Wolves lured well known internationals.

Until we see the actual accounts, it’s just guess work.

Btw I agree with your other comments,

Yes completely agree, but you'd imagine wage wise that things wouldn't be too different comparatively to the previous season which we do have the accounts for. Wolves' only big signing was Jimenez who was already on the wage bill for the previous season. Whilst there were plenty of additions for smaller fees, there were also lots of outgoings. The ever reliable Swiss Ramble posted the following:

[tweet]1230042244029263872[/tweet]

I think we'll see similar for this season, perhaps at best a closing of the gap between us and Wolves. They are being exceptionally well run at the moment and doing a bit more research I think I may have underestimated just how much they won in Europa League prize money by at least £10million so being £50million better off is probably a bit on the short side. The answer is of course that they have a tiny squad. I count them as having finished the season with a squad of 19/25.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Seemingly not, but if we factor in the price we *should* have paid for Veltman, we're in the mixer.

As above, a number of the 'done deals' are actually just making loan moves permanent, i.e. not strengthening above the position a few weeks ago.

https://www.skysports.com/football/transfer-deals

Should? We "should" have also signed a forward by this stage.

I enjoy a cheeky bargain or seeing young players coming through the development squad as much as anyone but if the club are serious about finishing in the top 10 our transfer budget will need to reflect that. It hasn't in this window.

Coventry have spent more than us. I'm aware we've still got a month to go but at this stage it would be great to keep up with pack.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Villa agreeing to pay £28m (rising to £33m) for Watkins seems a lot. Has the world gone mad? Makes the £15m for Locadia seem a bargain!

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I am incredulous how some fans seem to think Bloom should finance us to their expectations. I am as frustrated as anyone (apart from B.W.2 :lolol:) but I do not expect him to throw caution to the wind to satisfy needy fans. Best go and support a team that are happy to risk their future. Have a look at the Championship BIG teams who would cut their arms off to have what we have.

Sorry but it really pisses me off that so many of us have become so entitled and expect Bloom to carry on pissing away (and that is what he’s doing) his fortune on us

This post is not directed at you personally but it is the one I chose to quote to make the point.

Accept that, however we have moved players on so the money should at least be there to pay the wages of any inbound players coupled along with the fact we've only spent £900k this window and clubs around us are clearly making statements of intent. I trust the club entirely and would rather sign nobody than the wrong person. However, we have one of the thinnest squads in the league now and if we want to progress there are a few areas that need improving. Not expecting us to blow £50m on players like Newcastle, Leeds, Villa just a couple of decent investments in the right area as we have done so far.

Really pisses me off when people assume that because we want our team to do better than they are currently that we're ungrateful for what we already have. This is not the case surely everybody wants to see progression regardless of how much it is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here