Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Why do some drivers still not wear a seat belt ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Or people who 'exercise their freedom rights' surely ? :lolol::lolol: To you and me it makes perfect sense but you can legally smoke and drink and eat crap but they don't tend to kill you quickly. Mind you dangerous sports do and they're perfectly legal.

Common sense means different things to different people but I have to say something as simple as wearing a seat belt has to be common sense :facepalm:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
so whats more dangerous to me, not wearing a seatbelt or using my satnav?if you want to worry about car safety then worry about seatbelts.

Satnavs can be dangerous , relying on what its saying rather than observing the road ahead. When you get cut up at a roundabout or a turning off the motorway you can guarantee the driver is reacting to a satnav voice.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Funnily enough, a friend of mine would probably been killed in his car if he HAD been wearing his seat belt a few years ago. A car ploughed into the side of him, luckily enough he saw it coming and managed to get into the passenger seat in time.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Satnavs can be dangerous , relying on what its saying rather than observing the road ahead. When you get cut up at a roundabout or a turning off the motorway you can guarantee the driver is reacting to a satnav voice.

SatNavs are lethal, especially those ones that continually fall off the windscreen and down by your feet, meaning you have to reach down and get it before it slides under the pedals, wipe the dirt off it, lick and try to stick it back into the really awkward bottom quarter of the windscreen.

New cars just give the driver far too much information. I often drive a new land rover discovery and its constantly telling you stuff! People should just be allowed to get in and drive.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Satnavs, changeing cds, lighting a fag, eating a apple, not wearing a seatbelt, there all dangerous. But id rather leave it to the old bill, its what they are good at, pulling people for tin pot offences..Id rather just live and let live, each to there own.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I know someone who went to a car scrap yard (can't remember what they're called) and found a seat belt for the same vehicle he has, cut the buckle out and now just leaves that in place to stop the car bleeping at him to put his seat belt on.

He's gone to a lot of effort to avoid wearing a seat belt. I don't understand it

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I know someone who went to a car scrap yard (can't remember what they're called) and found a seat belt for the same vehicle he has, cut the buckle out and now just leaves that in place to stop the car bleeping at him to put his seat belt on.

He's gone to a lot of effort to avoid wearing a seat belt. I don't understand it

10 out of 10 for imagination though!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

Sorry but I found that funny!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Because i was driving before it became law, and never got into the habit of putting it on.
It seems automatic with new drivers, they do it almost unconsciously, i assume thats how they were taught from the beginning of learning.
But i never have, so just never got the habit. I'm afraid.

And you think that is a good enough excuse? I would not be happy if you splattered your brain all over the back of my little mauve car.:angry:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Wouldn't it just have been easier to wear the belt ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Satnavs, changeing cds, lighting a fag, eating a apple, not wearing a seatbelt, there all dangerous..

IF any of those things divert the driver's attention significantly, then they are in breach of the 'Driving without due care and attention' LAW.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember seeing a job at work where a car had stacked it into a wall. Four of the kids in the car walked away with little more than bruises and whiplash. The fifth- the only one not wearing a seatbelt- was thrown all over the place and died :nono:

Without going into specifics, there have been plenty of high profile fatal accidents whereby the deceased has been thrown out of the car completely. It is horrifically messy when it happens.

The other thing I can't understand is people who half wear the belt, ie they pull the shoulder bit down so effectively they're only wearing a lap belt. One, it's arguably more uncomfortable than wearing a belt normally (which I never even notice) and two, I can clearly recall a traffic officer telling me about a case whereby two rear seat passengers doing just that had been literally cut in half by the belts. There was no first aid at that job, just sweeping up of body parts :ohmy:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The other thing I can't understand is people who half wear the belt, ie they pull the shoulder bit down so effectively they're only wearing a lap belt. One, it's arguably more uncomfortable than wearing a belt normally (which I never even notice) and two, I can clearly recall a traffic officer telling me about a case whereby two rear seat passengers doing just that had been literally cut in half by the belts. There was no first aid at that job, just sweeping up of body parts :ohmy:

I used to do that when I was a lot younger, when the shoudler bit was in line with my head rather than my shoulder.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I remember seeing a job at work where a car had stacked it into a wall. Four of the kids in the car walked away with little more than bruises and whiplash. The fifth- the only one not wearing a seatbelt- was thrown all over the place and died :nono:

Without going into specifics, there have been plenty of high profile fatal accidents whereby the deceased has been thrown out of the car completely. It is horrifically messy when it happens.

Clearly some people just have no imagination, however I doubt that even graphic photos would deter some people.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

:

At least they all died with their civil liberties intact, happy in the knowledge that they hadn't bowed to pointless rules made by health and safety nazis :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here