Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Sky/BT Internet help

view

Mar 1, 2006
Eastbourne
My parents bt broadband doesnt work when the sky digital interactive wires are plugged in, a simple problem to avoid i.e. just pull the wire out the phone socket, however they keep getting letters telling them to reconnect etc.

Im home for easter from uni and am far too busy (lazy) to keep unplugging and replugging the wires every hour or so!

Ive heard this is a common fault, has anyone had a similar problem and have any advice on how to fix it?

The broadband is also slower than ever and even crashes if you try and do things too quickly, any advice on this issue, they were thinking of changing to Sky broadband, is this anygood? and will it fix the problems?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Get a line filter for the Sky line. Fiver from any shop, or if you bitch, whinge and moan enough at BT you might get it free (particularly if you get the Irish tech support department).

Changing to Sky BB wouldn't fix the issue - its a wiring problem.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
yes they need a filter ! and I use sky broadband and i have had no problems with them at all, good fast service and their customer help line has been excellent too(also you get some free filters with the wirless box thingy) !!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah, you should have got two filters with the BT unit too.

Good one is to claim you're off work sick/minding kids/whatever and can't leave the house, they'll usually send you the filters FOC in that case. Unless they've taken away the agents discretion in that regard since I escaped the hellhole.

view

Mar 1, 2006
Eastbourne
cheers guys, we already have the two filter things that came with the box attached? could it be that we live a fair bit out of town and the lines are crap?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We never have our Sky hooked up to the phone line, and have never got a letter? One who is cynical could construe this as spying?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
view said:
cheers guys, we already have the two filter things that came with the box attached? could it be that we live a fair bit out of town and the lines are crap?

Have you got more than two phones + sky boxes + fax machines? You need one filter per "thingy" that uses the phone line.

Crap lines can cause filtering issues but the phone would knock them off too.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
tedebear said:
We never have our Sky hooked up to the phone line, and have never got a letter? One who is cynical could construe this as spying?

Only get it if you have multiroom. Its to make sure you don't, say, give the second box-for-a-tenner to yer granny down the road.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
tedebear said:

I think if you have sky+ you HAVE to have it connected to phone line, May be wrong though so don't flame me !!!!!!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
MYOB said:
Only get it if you have multiroom. Its to make sure you don't, say, give the second box-for-a-tenner to yer granny down the road.

Mulitroom?? You mean people have more than one tv?? Blimey...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
could it be that you have too many phones connected at the same time, therefore you are overloading your system. Sure you can only have 4 phones or something.

might be talking balls but sure its in the instruction book with every phone/modem type thing

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
wehatepalace said:
I think if you have sky+ you HAVE to have it connected to phone line, May be wrong though so don't flame me !!!!!!

When you get any new sky box you sign a 12 month contract to say you have to keep the phone line connected, after that initial 12 months you may disconnect without fear of prosecution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here