OT: replacing an ancient syphon in my cistern

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I like a challenge so am going to give it a go. I'll try and replace the syphon and if I can't I'll Make a new diaphragm.
If I flood the bathroom then I'll be sure to post pics. Thanks for all the advice :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I like a challenge so am going to give it a go. I'll try and replace the syphon and if I can't I'll Make a new diaphragm.
If I flood the bathroom then I'll be sure to post pics. Thanks for all the advice :)

Go for it.
I always fit an isolating valve on the supply pipe to the cistern, if there is room, saves time keeping turning off the water to the whole house.
Get some old towels ready.
Good luck.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Lucky we aren't playing at home for a while coz you may be taking on more than you think----bn9 bha works weekends I believe :whistle:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Lucky we aren't playing at home for a while coz you may be taking on more than you think----bn9 bha works weekends I believe :whistle:

:lolol: I only work weekends if someone has a gun to my head or I need some extra money, the novelty of this job wore off recently.
I've had enough at 10.30 on a Monday some weeks.:rant:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
How do I tell if the pan is siphonic?

Difficult to say without getting inside it, but inside the syphon is an aerator 'bomb' which helps the water flush down.

Best pic i can find is here:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss278/Pete_2/Toilet/OldSyphon2.jpg

The circular rubber bung goes on the end of the black stem at the bottom of syphon.

Your pan doesn't look to be one as they're a bit bigger/longer due to the extra trap. But if it is (and they are also a bit of a bugger to set up AND not made anymore i heard) then ditch it for a new set up as recommended..just not from B&Q IMO..

If just the diaphragm is torn, and you can't find new one, then simply cut a new one from a rubble sack or similar.

Otherwise those 2 part TD are great.

Good luck

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Difficult to say without getting inside it, but inside the syphon is an aerator 'bomb' which helps the water flush down.

The circular rubber bung goes on the end of the black stem at the bottom of syphon.

Your pan doesn't look to be one as they're a bit bigger/longer due to the extra trap. But if it is (and they are also a bit of a bugger to set up AND not made anymore i heard) then ditch it for a new set up as recommended..just not from B&Q IMO..

If just the diaphragm is torn, and you can't find new one, then simply cut a new one from a rubble sack or similar.

Good luck

Thanks for your help.

So the diaphragm can be quite flimsy then? I was thinking it had to be some kind of special rubber.

I would prefer to replace with the 2 part siphon because in future I can just remove the siphon part without taking the whole cistern off.

Cheers All!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Good luck
Nice tiles.:ohmy:
image.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Thanks for your help.

So the diaphragm can be quite flimsy then? I was thinking it had to be some kind of special rubber.

I would prefer to replace with the 2 part siphon because in future I can just remove the siphon part without taking the whole cistern off.

Cheers All!

Get a 2 part syphon, Dudley Turbo syphon, I use the adjustable one.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Looks like a Whippy ice cream inside your bog, whack a flake in there :)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Not sure about that yellow bog you have.
While it is a bit wasteful I would be tempted to just buy a whole new khazi and improve the look of your bathroom.
Fitting an isolating valve on the inlet and is a definite though, specially if you decide to go the repeated fiddling with the existing siphon route.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Good luck

This explanation and the photo link is spot on Rowdey, I don't think I have worked on a siphonic for about 2 years now.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
For all the faffing about trying to get the siphon out, replacing it etc you may as we'll put a new closed coupled pan and cistern in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports