Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - radiator not working

Aug 23, 2011
Does anyone know much about radiators, i have one that isn't heating up. I've tried bleeding it but that doesn't seem to be the issue. All our radiators have individual thermostats on them, could it be a faulty one of them and how easy are they to replace, is it just a case of unscrewing one and putting a new one on or is it more complicated than that and a job for a plumber?

Cheers in advance for any help

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
valve may be closed?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Does anyone know much about radiators, i have one that isn't heating up. I've tried bleeding it but that doesn't seem to be the issue. All our radiators have individual thermostats on them, could it be a faulty one of them and how easy are they to replace, is it just a case of unscrewing one and putting a new one on or is it more complicated than that and a job for a plumber?

Cheers in advance for any help

Hit it wiv a hammer !!

Seriously, if you have a TRV ( thermostatic rad valve ) fitted, sometimes the pin under the head sticks down. If you take off the head, you can pull the pin upwards with a pair of pliers. Falling that, a replacement valve might be needed.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Valves are fairly easy to replace but what you'll need to do first is drain down the central heating system. Is the radiator in question on the ground floor?

Chinster

Aug 7, 2011
Take the head off apply some wd40 then gently move pin up and down to free it. Do not pull it too hard or you will get a leak.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Take the head off apply some wd40 then gently move pin up and down to free it. Do not pull it too hard or you will get a leak.

This

It come off by slackening the the bottom of the thermostat form the valve by hand no tools required.

Aug 23, 2011
You can try this if you feel comfortable with some basic DIY.

DIY and Home Improvement Wiki - Plumbing - Thermostatic radiator valves - trvs

Hit it wiv a hammer !!

Seriously, if you have a TRV ( thermostatic rad valve ) fitted, sometimes the pin under the head sticks down. If you take off the head, you can pull the pin upwards with a pair of pliers. Falling that, a replacement valve might be needed.

This

It come off by slackening the the bottom of the thermostat form the valve by hand no tools required.

Cheers for all the help i now have one working radiator again, the valve was just a bit stuck and loosened quite easily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here