Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Private landlords responsibilities re Proper shower

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Should there be a social website where tenants 'rate' properties and 'landlords'? Like travel rating websites? I think so.

I agree - I have a few properties and it's really important for me that tenants are looked after, way to many landlords out there who just see it as free income rather than providing a service. Good idea.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Totally unrelated to football I know but as NSC is the fount of all knowledge on most subjects I thought I'd ask. I rent a flat, been here over 2 years, no issues other than the shower is just an attachment, with the temperature almost impossible to control. Hot water on full is close to scalding, you turn the cold more than a few millimetres and it drops to barely lukewarm. My daughter, who stays with me every other weekend is 10 now, and obviously doesn't really want her Dad around when she's showering, but she can't get it to the right temperature, indeed I struggle to do it, when I'm having one I just have it scalding. The agent is in an office next door, and I have said I need something done, they have approached the landlord, but he is very reluctant to spend the money to put in an electric shower. I really wanted to know if there is any legal obligation on him to provide a shower that can be easily temperature controlled, or is he just obliged to provide hot running water.

There's no obligation, but given you've been there a while and if you let him know you intend to stay, he may do it. It'll be a good investment for him anyway, people like to see showers in there....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's no obligation, but given you've been there a while and if you let him know you intend to stay, he may do it. It'll be a good investment for him anyway, people like to see showers in there....

Agree. As someone said earlier, polite gentle negotiation is the way forward I think.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If you gave your notice in because of the landlord's reluctance to spend a few hundred pounds the cost to him would be far higher than a few hundred pounds. He would have to readvertise the flat, prepare it for a new tenant, run every risk of it being empty for a few weeks during the changeover and, quite possibly, install a decent shower anyway. If a landlord wants a decent long term income his starting point should be to look after his existing customers.

It's a bit like running a football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here