Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT- Job choice...to stay or to go?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Stay put. Apply the WIIFM test to the new job and it's a big fat nothing apart from a bit of sticking it to your existing boss. The new job is only interesting because it's a new job.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I think I would stay put and see what else comes up. If one company wants you then others will too.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Thanks for all of the advice.

I have written a letter to start communicating to my boss what I would be looking for and the resons why, I actually to ask to better understand my position within the company etc etc.

I'll let you know how it goes.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
If you have enough money to live on, pay your bills, a bit left over every month for a holiday every now I'd say you're in a pretty fine position to be honest. You get to spend time with your family (something money can't buy, and you cant ever go back once you've missed this), you have an easy commute and you're probably a lot less stressed than you would be sitting in traffic for an hour and a half a day!

Reminds me of the fisherman story http://bemorewithless.com/the-story-of-the-mexican-fisherman.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A typical footballer problem with a player left out of the first team. New players arrive.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The package of the new would have to be substantially better to 'get out of bed for' and/or the current job would have to be pretty bad. To take the plunge you would need to love the trade/industry big time. Your age and pension arrangements could come into the equation. Life is short so the most important thing of all is whatever decision you make, not to dwell on it too much. We are all allowed to make 'mistakes' It's part of life.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just to clear up, the new job will be finishing later, now it can finish between 4.30-5 ish and only takes 10 mins to get home. New role would be 6.30 finish with a 45 min to an hour drive which would mean. To seeing the boy, sorry should have been clear.

Bozza you are right and this is the more difficult thing with my current employer, approaching this correctly. I don't want to say I have this other job, pay me more, I need to show what I have bought to the company. We are assessed with company wide appraisals etc and my scoring has been highest in my role for the past three years. It would be slightly embarrassing if I ask for a higher salary mention the other job and they say I think you should take it!!

I wouldn't be shy about asking your current employers to match the salary offered by the other company. They can't sack you for being honest about considering a job offer that has been made to you - employment law is on your side - in fact, most employers would appreciate an employee giving them the chance to match an offer rather than lose an employee and then have to recruit and train up someone to replace them.

As for the new place, it is worth negotiating salary; small companies are far more flexible with remuneration packages than large corporations and don't have to go through all the HR procedures to re-grade someone to give them a pay rise.

Working for a small company is also more exciting as you feel like you make more of a difference, and you tend to see more tangible benefits when the company does well. That's my personal view anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here