OT - Is Kinect any good?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
The boy has asked for an xbox for Christmas (he's 4 years old!!!) so I was thinking about getting Kinect as an extra. Is it suitable for kids? are there kid friendly games and will us adults get anything from it or will it be straight out the door like PS Move was (terrible)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We got one last Xmas for our three kids (all primary age). Can't say any of us was exactly blown away. Some of the games (eg Sonic) just don't seem to work properly but some are better than others. The Sports one is meant to be quite good.

If the kids use the console at all these days it tends to be for the standard controller-operated games. Kinect has a certain novelty factor but the lack of control and occasional misrepresentation of what you're trying to do makes it a bit frustrating, in my opinion. I suspect the technology will improve all the time though, as will the games.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Pretty good bit of kit tbh, my only problem is that it doesn't get used enough. If you get the right games then it is good fun. Kinect Sports (the first one) is really good for most ages. Kinect animals is decent for the younger ones. Sonic is dreadful (probably like loads of others) but the newish Raving Rabbids game looks like it could be a laugh with a group of people.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
There's a couple of good games for kids to get, sesame street and Disneyland which they will probably love.

Aside from that, Dancing is all there is - for me, the nature of the tech means it will never have a decent 'proper' game, too laggy - even selecting stuff from the menu is often a massive chore.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I bought it about this time last year, and haven't really used it all that much - but that's because my lounge is very small and doesn't really lend itself well to big groups - which is when kinect becomes more fun. I have used it recently for the Your Shape fitness workouts - which are a killer. Can't really cheat it like you can on the Wii & Move, so it knows when you're not REALLY lunging low enough. Bastard.

Maverick

Jun 1, 2011
We bought it last xmas for my 3 kids (4,7 and 10), got joyride, kinect sports and adventures and some dancing one, they played it for about 3 weeks and havent touched it since. It will be going on ebay soon. Wanna buy it? Its fantastic. ???

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
my 4 year old girl likes it . weve got her kinectimals (you interact with the animals on screen) for xmas , reckon she'll like that. she beats me everytime at the boxing i cant work out why yet

seagull33

Apr 6, 2010
we got our Kinect last xmas for the sprogs

The Nintendo Wii hasnt been touched since .......

IMO Kinect Sports and Dance Central are a must buy ..... For the younger ones KinectAnimals is a must buy (my 6 year old absolutely loves it)

Personally I am not a fan of prancing about your front room in front of the TV , much prefer to play Forza 4 , sit on the sofa controller in hand and relax !!

But the kids play the Kinect all the time . The new Ravin Rabbids game looks good as does the Sesame Street game both available on demo

And if you are restricted on floor space Nyko have released a zoom device that clips over the lens to make your playable area smaller !!

If you got kids I would buy a Kinect over a Wii every day of the week

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
we got our Kinect last xmas for the sprogs

The Nintendo Wii hasnt been touched since .......

IMO Kinect Sports and Dance Central are a must buy ..... For the younger ones KinectAnimals is a must buy (my 6 year old absolutely loves it)

Personally I am not a fan of prancing about your front room in front of the TV , much prefer to play Forza 4 , sit on the sofa controller in hand and relax !!

But the kids play the Kinect all the time . The new Ravin Rabbids game looks good as does the Sesame Street game both available on demo

And if you are restricted on floor space Nyko have released a zoom device that clips over the lens to make your playable area smaller !!

If you got kids I would buy a Kinect over a Wii every day of the week

Yep pretty much agree with all of that :)

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Had it bought for me last xmas. My son (5yo) loves playing it and when you get a group of people ie new years eve the sports games can be very good fun indeed. he is getting the animal game as we have it as a demo and he loves it.

Starwars comes out for it next year so it is going to be a must buy by then. Games can only get better imho. only downside is it does require a large area in front of it to pick you up properly, so if you only have a small front room it wont be as effective as it could be.

For kids Seasame Street and the new Disney game are great, last years Joyride and sports games should be available cheap and are fun and the latter suitable for adults too.

A new kinect sports game is out this year too but have yet to try that. On XBOX live you can download Fruit Ninja for kinnect which also is great fun (and cheap) for all ages, very competetive.

If you can get over the sillyness of keep fit in front of the TV the new Fitness Evolves 2012 provides a workout.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Thanks for the responses, I think lack of room in our lounge might rule it out. I don't really want to spend 100 quid only to find they cant use it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports