Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT- How to get my business on first page of google ?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just keep adding good quality content to your site and building links with other sites of a similar type. Also a good set of Title tags also helps. Google looks at these things. If you can get one way links from other sites that is event better.

Getting listed on page one for a variety of keywords also depends on what type of business your promoting. If you where selling mobile phones for example then the chances of getting on page one in the natural listings would be difficult because the market is so saturated with other sites.

If on the other hand what you are promoting is completely unique the chances of you getting listed on page one or page two will be a lot easier.

Have a look at what your competitors are doing, take a look at the type of title tags they use and their content.

If you want to be gauranteed at the top of the listings in Google, then you could always pay for adwords. It's not cheap thou. I remember the company I worked with where spending £200 quid a day on adwords, it bought in thousands of visitors but they could afford it. Another company I worked with spent a £10.00 a day and hardly did a thing.

Also doing the SEO yourself can be time consuming and disheartening at times. I remember building a site around linux. Because Linux was quite unique at the time my site was getting around 400-500 unique visitors a day because my content was new, nobody else was doing it, so therefore I was appearing on Page one and two for a variety of keywords. One day I checked my analytics and I was down to 150 - 200 unique visitors a day because Google had changed. Since then my visitors have kept plummeting because now they are thousands on new sites all doing the same types of things my site was doing.

My site for this month has still bought the following traffic.
You might ask why I got 4,326 page views and then 3,455 unique visitors. This is because people visit one page for help and dissapear off the site.

Visits
chart

Unique Visitors
chart

Pageviews
chart

Pages / Visit
chart

Avg. Visit Duration
00:00:42
chart

Bounce Rate
90.96%
chart

% New Visits
91.90%

Interesting stuff. How does it know how long the average visit is? For example, if I had your site open in a tab, but surfed from other tabs does it count me as a persistent stayer? Even if I'm not clicking any links on your site.

foob

Jul 7, 2014
No company can guarantee first page ranking, and if one tells you they do.. i'd steer away as this would be a sign of fraud. Mind you that even large SEO companies are known to rip people off.. it doesn't have to be a small provider from freelancer!

Since your business is local, you should add your city's name in the keywords when you research your audience. I would recommend going to fiverr and paying somebody $5 to do an SEO assesment of your site, or even better, some keyword research. This way you will know where you are starting off

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have never really looked at getting hits through Facebook, Twitter and such as I have always felt these might have been a waste of time. Is it really worth it?

Depends on your industry but in most cases - definitely. And becoming more valid and relevant every day.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
this may mean absolutely nothing
I made my own website(a month after owning my first pc)
it was a service site not a sales site
I got advice from those who were in the know and spent the whole 5 years I had the site on the first page, I answered every query no matter how small and built a reputation for being good at what I did and had questions from all over the world, and made some very good friends
so, be good at what you do and it will come
I closed the site as people took over with better to use sites, people who could used better technology.
and all power to them.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
pay per click ....check it out

PPC is at best an auction and the main winner is google!

If you throw enough money at it you will stay top of page 1 but depending how competitive your market is you can spend ££££'s on each click!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here