Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Do you tip your Postie? What about carol singers?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Thanks guys, looks like postie might have to settle for a friendly "thanks"...

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I use to tip the postie a tenner, delivered a lot of parcels and they were always in good condition and always here before 9am. The changes were made to the rounds by head office about 3 months ago and now the post is all over the place, never the same time two days in a row and never the same postie, so don't bother now.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As my brother is a postie I have always tipped our one but only if they have been doing this particular round for a while.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
We get so many different postpersons one week to the next, it would be a bit unfair to tip the one who happens to deliver our mail around Christmas time. And, I understand that post workers' salaries have risen by more than 9% since the privatisation took place. So, we don't technically tend to tip.
No it hasn't gone up 9% its WAS going up 3% last April but we haven't had it yet due to us threatening to strike due to them shafting our pension and our working conditions with bullying and harrassment

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Well since my post never gets delivered before 3PM - no chance

And seeing as i live in a rough area, carol singers dont come round.......and if they do - chances are its some kids who attempt to mug you.

Its not the postmans fault you get mail at 3pm if Royal Mail don't let us start our rounds now till 10am

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm going to slide a small printed card into my postie's bag that reads, "I attempted to give you a Christmas tip, but unfortunately I am not at home."
When he reads it and says, "but you are at home..." I can reply "Finally, after all this time, you've ****ing worked it out."

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Always tip the binmen because they are regular and helpful.
Posties seem to change so often these days,but our present one has been with us for some time and is reliable so he will get a tip.We have often had a shambolic service from the Royal Mail in the past.
Don't get carol singers round here.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Bouncing this. Has 2 sets of carol singers around last night, neither group had made much effort to dispel the feeling that this was an open fleecing exercise. I didn't contribute. Apart from anything else, its too early. Little scamps.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
We have a regular postie, really nice guy and makes sure that we've got any parcels that he's dropped off when we've not been in to receive them. He'll be getting a tip, probably £10.

I don't tip as a matter of course, especially if I'm told I have to, but I don't have any issues with doing so.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bouncing this. Has 2 sets of carol singers around last night, neither group had made much effort to dispel the feeling that this was an open fleecing exercise. I didn't contribute. Apart from anything else, its too early. Little scamps.

Never had the Japanese down as being big on Christmas.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Always tip our postie, normally a tenner - he's been on the same round now for over 10 years, knows where to tuck parcels and anything else that normally needs a signature.

We don't get carol singers, a bit far out of town.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Carol Singers: Another tradition that my kids have never really experienced, meeting with your mates a few renditions of Good King Wenceslas finished with a rousing 'Bring us some figgy pudding', lovely times.

Ok some of the recipients were miserable, but just list them down for 'knock down ginger' on another night.

Money equally shared, chips out of the wrapper form the local chippy, loved it.

However I havent had one carol singer for years, suspect the fear of imminent abduction and murder for any child that we are told cannot possibly function without a supervising adult the main reason, shame really.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I used to tip Uncle Tom Cobbley, and all. Not now, service has disappeared by everyone.

I will tip Carol Singers if they put a good effort in, rest goes to local charities.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
How do you go about tipping you postie and binmen? The binmen come when I'm at work. The postie might catch me in if he needs to deliver a parcel and I'm not at work. I'm more inclined to tip my postie as it's usually the same chap, he's friendly and is quite handy at trying to leave parcels so that I don't need to pick them up from the delivery office (without just dumping them outside to the elements).

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Always tip the binmen because they are regular

We went over a month with seeing any!!

Never sure about giving the binmen a tip as there are so many on each round and they change how do I make sure the right ones get it!?

Always top the milkman and postman at christmas.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm not sure I've ever met my postie. Comes around 1:30pm monday-friday only. Know his handwriting from parcel collection cards though.

Binmen are gone by 8am, never seen them either.

Year later and I've *seen* the postman, once, on a day off and only because I was actually leaving the house at the time. Considering he put a christmas card for my neighbour through my door today he doesn't really inspire confidence.

Still not seen a binman!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We went over a month with seeing any!!

Never sure about giving the binmen a tip as there are so many on each round and they change how do I make sure the right ones get it!?

Always top the milkman and postman at christmas.

Bit harsh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here