Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT Are Compaq laptops any good?

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Sorry if this has been done to death but I'm still looking for a laptop around the £750-£1000 mark and I've just seen a Compaq one in Dixons for about £890 which seems to have all I want on it. Are Compaq any good? The others I've been looking at are Dell and IBM but they seem a bit pricier.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have a comap laptop which is fine, but then I only use it to read my email and surf the net so not really a good guide.

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
tinx said:
I have a comap laptop which is fine, but then I only use it to read my email and surf the net so not really a good guide.

That's pretty much what I'll be doing, that and a bit of downloading of music and digital camera stuff. Not going to be using as a business tool, purely pleasure.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I know bugger all about computers, but my requirements for one are:

The ability to play Championship Manager
Able to quickly download stuff
A nice keyboard for typing rubbish on NSC

I am pleased to say that my Compaq comfortably meets all these requirements. It's a Presario 2100, if that helps.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Barnet Seagull said:
Compaq make the best Desktop PC's and Servers. Usually a very good warranty and support

Dunno 'bout laptops. We always buy IBMs.

Compaq are OK laptops ( apart from the batch which was shipped with dodgy RAM ).

I personally prefer Toshiba but at the end of the day most main makes work OK. It's a personnal choice although I would always pick a well known manufacturer as the support tends to be better.

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Set of Tracksuits said:
I know bugger all about computers, but my requirements for one are:

The ability to play Championship Manager
Able to quickly download stuff
A nice keyboard for typing rubbish on NSC

I am pleased to say that my Compaq comfortably meets all these requirements. It's a Presario 2100, if that helps.

Sounds just the ticket.

Thanks one and all.:thumbsup:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Phaedrus said:
Sorry if this has been done to death but I'm still looking for a laptop around the £750-£1000 mark and I've just seen a Compaq one in Dixons for about £890 which seems to have all I want on it. Are Compaq any good? The others I've been looking at are Dell and IBM but they seem a bit pricier.

I have one at home that is 5 years old. It has never given me a problem other than the battery does not hold a charge any longer. It has also withstood my sons during that time! :clap:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Compaq laptops are virtually indesctructable but they're usually underspecced. Also the HDD is "matched" to the controller so you can't easily recover data off it if the motherboard dies.

DO NOT GET A HP laptop. Even though its the same company, they're made seperately and they fall apart.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Toshiba are excellent bar somewhat weak HDD's. A friends gone through four HDD's on his Tecra but the machine otherwise is fine - has survivied coffee and Jolt spills, ashtrays hitting it, etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here