Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: And litening to Bowie

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One thing that's become apparent over the last week or so is just how mamy great songs he has. Difficult to pick one favourite, but Five Years would be up there. As for albums, Hunky Dory. Low. Ziggy.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
TBH, I think Lets Dance was the last listenable music he made. Anything else falls in the Radiohead category. All reputation and critical acclaim, but frankly unlistenable.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree on Queen Bitch.

Am I allowed to say that I think Black Star is awful?

Of course you're allowed to say it's awful.

But I bought it last week, having decided to buy it the weekend after it was released, so before he died, because it was so well reviewed and sounded very interesting. I played it in its entirety on the way both to and from the match yesterday - 1.5 hour journey each way - and I think it is excellent.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Anything from Hunky Dory to Heroes. (Except Pinups.)

And Black Star, LWS He was back to his best, a veritable swansong.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Starman for me, with Ashes to Ashes a very close second.
Could easily list another dozen though which would all be belters!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Thank you. Not a lot of 'God, I loved Tin Machine' though or anything subsequent on this thread, despite your respected opinion to the contrary..

But people are commenting on the last album, Blackstar, which is a tremendous album as is The Next Day. I also think that Reality is up there with his best, although I would go with the general consensus that Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane constitute a series of albums that are unsurpassable.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
TBH, I think Lets Dance was the last listenable music he made. Anything else falls in the Radiohead category. All reputation and critical acclaim, but frankly unlistenable.

Bullshit.

A few personal highlights...

Absolute Beginners
Loving the Alien
Day-In Day-Out
Time Will Crawl
Black Tie White Noise
Hallo Spaceboy
Little Wonder
Dead Man Walking
I'm Afraid of Americans
Blackstar
Lazarus

Some of it (like Little Wonder and Hallo Spaceboy) were a little challenging to cloth ears, but check out the live versions from 2000 onwards - eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY54qW7SK8Y

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This thread is not for you :shrug:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Starman was the first single I bought, with Suffragette City on the B side

Drive in Saturday (esp the intro)

Heroes

Life on Mars?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I loved Tin Machine and still do. I said it on the original Bowie thread also.

Each to their own. I personally didn't rate Tin Machine but loved lot's of his work from Hunky Dory through to Blackstar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here