Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar's mistake

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Solly has been brilliant up to now but is still at the inconsistent stage . It could of worked bringing him on but it didn't . He lost control almost first touch and it seemed to effect him . Lua lua would of been better option . Buckley was a good sub and could of won it .

Team set up was baffling and quite dour but it was working so can't really complain to much

When you say it was working, what exactly was working?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd like to see Solly used as the most attacking of the central midfielders, he's much stronger on the ball than JFC and has the intelligence and technique to play down the middle. Our youngster with the brightest future in my IMO.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Solly has been brilliant up to now but is still at the inconsistent stage . It could of worked bringing him on but it didn't . He lost control almost first touch and it seemed to effect him . Lua lua would of been better option . Buckley was a good sub and could of won it .

Team set up was baffling and quite dour but it was working so can't really complain to much

How many shots on target at home constitute working?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Probably because he is still learning. He should have a great future.
He terrorises teams and is clearly a nsc darling at the moment, but his final ball is usually dismal. That'why I would have given the run to Kaz, who incidentally I think tackles back better too.
We are obviously not watching the same Solly March or Kazenga Lua Lua as I think the exact opposite as to your remarks on each

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Two chaps behind me banged on all game that Kaz needed to come on, think some people see him as our saviour. However not sure yesterday was the right game for him up against Adkins thugs. If March had meant that corner and it had gone in people on here would be waxing lyrical about him...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Solly came on and was quite sharp, had focus, and was forward looking.

Basically everything we missed for most of the game.

I am not impressed with him. But if the corner had gone in !!!

I think he might be OK on the left?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Probably because he is still learning. He should have a great future.
He terrorises teams and is clearly a nsc darling at the moment, but his final ball is usually dismal. That'why I would have given the run to Kaz, who incidentally I think tackles back better too.

And you think that Kaz -- if his teammates are lucky enough to receive one -- delivers final balls, crosses, etc that are anything other than 'usually dismal'. March's passing range, vision and execution are far better than Kaz's. That's not to say that Kaz is better at other things; his tackling and tracking back as you point out, are good, as is his dribbling and shooting.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Oscars mistake was in picking Ince AND Andrews (who was woeful). Andrews played up top of midfield with JFC behind. I just don't get that?? With Buckley, Solly and Lua Lua on the bench and he picks Andrews as the forward midfielder?? We looked like the away side until the own goal. Then offered nothing until the sending off offered changes. I do think the changes were the right ones however.
But WE HAVE TO START GOING FOR IT AT HOME!!!! Play 2 wingers if with 1 winger and Solly or Orlandi drifting behind Ulloa with Lindgard.
With David, Andrews, Ince, JFC it was too defensive and Andrews just isn't good enough IMO.

Go for it Oscar!! Why not??

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Oscars mistake was in picking Ince AND Andrews (who was woeful). Andrews played up top of midfield with JFC behind. I just don't get that?? With Buckley, Solly and Lua Lua on the bench and he picks Andrews as the forward midfielder?? We looked like the away side until the own goal. Then offered nothing until the sending off offered changes. I do think the changes were the right ones however.
But WE HAVE TO START GOING FOR IT AT HOME!!!! Play 2 wingers if with 1 winger and Solly or Orlandi drifting behind Ulloa with Lindgard.
With David, Andrews, Ince, JFC it was too defensive and Andrews just isn't good enough IMO.

Go for it Oscar!! Why not??

Andrews, JFC and a not 100% fit Ince was all we had available for central midfield so you can't really put it down as a mistake by Oscar, If we'd had a stronger midfield available then I wouldn't mind betting we'd have started with Lindgard, Ulloa and one of the wingers up top rather than playing narrow and having to rely on the full backs providing the width.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Andrews, JFC and a not 100% fit Ince was all we had available for central midfield so you can't really put it down as a mistake by Oscar, If we'd had a stronger midfield available then I wouldn't mind betting we'd have started with Lindgard, Ulloa and one of the wingers up top rather than playing narrow and having to rely on the full backs providing the width.

Not really, we had March, Buckley and LuaLua on the bench. Ince, JFC & David is enough grit and defensive cover at home, without another defensive midfielder in Andrews. As it was, Andrew didn't play defensive Midfield anyway, he was up to next to Ulloa. Why when we had such talent on the bench? It makes no sense imo.
We need to start going for it at home.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Not really, we had March, Buckley and LuaLua on the bench. Ince, JFC & David is enough grit and defensive cover at home, without another defensive midfielder in Andrews. As it was, Andrew didn't play defensive Midfield anyway, he was up to next to Ulloa. Why when we had such talent on the bench? It makes no sense imo.
We need to start going for it at home.

As many people point out neither David or JFC are very good at tackling so that would have left an unfit Ince to do all the rough stuff in midfield, David is fine in central midfield with 2 defensive midfielders behind him in a 4-2-3-1 like we played a lot of last season but is not a 4-3-3 central midfielder.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
As many people point out neither David or JFC are very good at tackling so that would have left an unfit Ince to do all the rough stuff in midfield, David is fine in central midfield with 2 defensive midfielders behind him in a 4-2-3-1 like we played a lot of last season but is not a 4-3-3 central midfielder.

Exactly. Also Andrews made a couple of key blocks when we were up against it second half, and tends to get underrated by most on here. I'd have started with one of March, Buckley or Kaz in place of Spanish Dave - think we'd have got more joy attacking Reading with pace in the early part of the game rather than leaving it to the final part when we were a man down.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Thing is, up until the sending off Andrews was playing up top of midfeild in support of Ulloa. Just because its Keith Andrews, doesn't mean oh..he miust be playing defensive midfield. He wasn't. He was playing somewhat out of position where a March or Orlandi would have played.
It doesnt matter how you dress it up, 2 defensive midfielders with no wingers and one of those defensive mid's playing out of position IS NOT the way Oscar should have us playing at home.
Too negative in the first half.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Thing is, up until the sending off Andrews was playing up top of midfeild in support of Ulloa. Just because its Keith Andrews, doesn't mean oh..he miust be playing defensive midfield. He wasn't. He was playing somewhat out of position where a March or Orlandi would have played.
It doesnt matter how you dress it up, 2 defensive midfielders with no wingers and one of those defensive mid's playing out of position IS NOT the way Oscar should have us playing at home.
Too negative in the first half.

You seem to be forgetting we had Lingard to add pace up top and he was doing a good job imo, As I said yesterday Oscar could only go with what he had in midfield and trying to put a Lopez or March in a central role would have only weakened it further as Lopez can't tackle and March is too inexperienced in there at Championship level especially against a top team. You might think it was a negative first half line up but to be honest it was working as I don't remember Reading testing Koosh in the first half and by half time it looked like the game was there for us to win with some decent options to come off the bench, The whole balance of the game changed with the sending off and from that moment we were on the back foot.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
You seem to be forgetting we had Lingard to add pace up top and he was doing a good job imo, As I said yesterday Oscar could only go with what he had in midfield and trying to put a Lopez or March in a central role would have only weakened it further as Lopez can't tackle and March is too inexperienced in there at Championship level especially against a top team. You might think it was a negative first half line up but to be honest it was working as I don't remember Reading testing Koosh in the first half and by half time it looked like the game was there for us to win with some decent options to come off the bench, The whole balance of the game changed with the sending off and from that moment we were on the back foot.

Ok think this is an agree to disagree moment.
I haven't forgot about Lingard, but in a defensive looking side Lingard looked lost at times. Buckley is much more used to bombing past Ulloa when he wins the knock ons.
My issue was playing Andrews and JFC and Andrews in a forward midfield position. There is no way Andrews would be better than March or JFC in that position. He was out of position and also one of the poorest performers. If you are going with a compact defensive midfield with Ince, Andrews and JFC, I'd want a fast outlet in a winger like Lua Lua or Buckley.
We were terrible in the first half and it was simply not the way to set up at home IMO.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
And tonight against QPR I believe I was proved right about Lua Lua. Guile and an end product.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here