Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar to walk?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was reported that Chris Powell was invited to the game by Jones, apparently on the same EUFA coaching course. A cynic might suggest that there could have been an ulterior motive.

Do you really believe that there is any chance at all of Powell being considered for the Albion job even if we didn't have a manager?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was reported that Chris Powell was invited to the game by Jones, apparently on the same EUFA coaching course. A cynic might suggest that there could have been an ulterior motive.

The more rational would say they worked together at Charlton, are friends, and it was just an invitation. McGhee invited Strachan a few times but he didn't become our manager.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The more rational would say they worked together at Charlton, are friends, and it was just an invitation. McGhee invited Strachan a few times but he didn't become our manager.

But Strachan took McGhee as his assistant so perhaps there is hope if Powell gets another job like Forest as nobody else wants it.. Powell was highly respected by many other than the new owner of Charlton

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At the end of the season, and not before, there are three possibilities:
-- Bloom sacks Oscar
-- Oscar walks
-- Oscar stays
I'm of the view that Oscar staying is the clear favourite. But why would Oscar want to walk? This is his second season as a manager. He won the league in his first season, but leaving after his second season didn't turn out as well would leave other chairmen to raise questions about his commitment and his ability to cope under pressure. Also, in a few weeks time, the training ground opens. One of the primary reasons -- if not the primary reason -- Oscar was brought here due to his coaching credentials, which come to the fore with the new training facility.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have noticed in the after match interview that Oscar has mentioned the "BUDGET" and we all know that is how the last manager started his downfall
this is the first time I have heard him saying this, maybe he is preparing the ground using the "BUDGET" as his valid excuse to walk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
At the end of the season, and not before, there are three possibilities:
-- Bloom sacks Oscar
-- Oscar walks
-- Oscar stays
I'm of the view that Oscar staying is the clear favourite. But why would Oscar want to walk? This is his second season as a manager. He won the league in his first season, but leaving after his second season didn't turn out as well would leave other chairmen to raise questions about his commitment and his ability to cope under pressure. Also, in a few weeks time, the training ground opens. One of the primary reasons -- if not the primary reason -- Oscar was brought here due to his coaching credentials, which come to the fore with the new training facility.

This.

Option 1. There is no way that Bloom would sack Oscar without evidence of a specific breach of contract and full disciplinary process. The Poyet saga demonstrated that TB/PB will play it absolutely strictly to the letter of the law and not just pay off a manager. Assuming Oscar has done nothing wrong (contractually speaking), then the only clause I could see being used would be a "performance related" one and given our league position is, at worst, "Safe" and at best, "Play-Offs", there is no way that that would trigger.

Option 2. Agree. Why would he go? He came here with virtually no pre-season, he has dealt with the worst injury record we've had for years and he has us in a respectable league position - not where we all want to be but a long way from where we'd all dread to be!
A finish below, say, 16th next season might be the trigger but he's managing a team in the best league in world, with a large Spanish [speaking] contingent, playing a very Spanish style, with soon-to-be the best training facilities he could ever hope for - he wouldn't find a better opportunity elsewhere at this stage of his career.

Option 3. Not just the likely result, the only conclusion in my book. And the right one. Despite the last three results I'm sure he has every intention of staying for the duration of his contract if not longer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here