KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As an aside, this is doing the rounds on Twitter/Facebook

judge.jpg

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Thanks for the replys. And another question is why aren't the cameras focusing on Pistorius in the witness box? I could understand if it was a witness who didn't want to be identified.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nel asked Oscar to go thru exactly what he did in the passage on way to the bathroom. What did he shout, when. Oscar does NOT mention he heard the toilet door slamming. Nel jumps on him, pointing out that this was also not in his bail application, nor in his plea explanation (again, Oscar blames the omission o his legal team). The ONLY time Oscar has mentioned this was in court. This could be crucial as, as Nel points out, this is a highly significant event and Oscar agrees. His pants are on fire again.

One aspect of his defence, and I wonder if OP has gone against his legal teams advice, is that really his defence actually relies on him accepting guilt on the lesser charges of culpable manslaughter (or whatever that's called). That he himself is trying to get off every possible charge is making his on defence so muddled so as not to be convincing on every aspect. 'Involuntary Action' - four shots fired, how can four be involuntary? Fired at an unmoving door - door was locked so couldn't have moved therefore 'putative self-defence' doesn't work as in his own account his life was never threatened.

If I was on a jury right now (I know there isn't one), I'd be objectively trying to believe his version, but how can I in that when we get to the point of him firing, he is saying it was accidentally and with no intent to shoot intruders, Reeva or otherwise? His attempts to get off completely without any acceptance of responsibility is giving Nel all the ammunition he needs.

The other angle worth discussing, is OP already preparing for a retrial? These constant references to his defence team not preparing his bail application correctly, all the mistakes they must have made, the ignorance OP has to all that - it seems almost calculated to me that he's at least preparing grounds for appeal / retrial. Again, everyone is to blame apart from him.

Nel is right, every aspect of OP's version is improbable. While that doesn't make it impossible, it makes it hard to believe, detail by detail, from background events, to witness accounts..

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
So what do we reckon chaps? I think Nel has got him on the ropes.

Oh indeed, just watching the updates from the BBC and he has got Oscar all over the shop with minatue and legal technicalities (different defences for eg). Gradually picking his defence and its inconsistencies to pieces.

One thing I saw from a few photos this morning is a couple of women outside with balloons and the word "hero" for Oscar before court today...what is it with some people??? They should hang their heads in shame. One thing that even OP doesn't deny is that he shot the bullets that killed her (either by accident or otherwise) hardly heroic.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
In fact, now I have seen it again, I reckon Nel has got him.

Roux has just objected on the grounds that Nel is repeating the same scenario over and over again. Judge does not agree and allows Nel to continue. This I would take as an indication that the Judge reckons that they are getting nearer to the truth.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Oh indeed, just watching the updates from the BBC and he has got Oscar all over the shop with minatue and legal technicalities (different defences for eg). Gradually picking his defence and its inconsistencies to pieces.

One thing I saw from a few photos this morning is a couple of women outside with balloons and the word "hero" for Oscar before court today...what is it with some people??? They should hang their heads in shame. One thing that even OP doesn't deny is that he shot the bullets that killed her (either by accident or otherwise) hardly heroic.

There are still an awful lot of people here who believe him. I have no idea why. They think Nel is just a bully - Oscar's brother certainly believes so.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Thanks for the replys. And another question is why aren't the cameras focusing on Pistorius in the witness box? I could understand if it was a witness who didn't want to be identified.

It was a direction from the Judge at the beginning of the trial that she didn't want the cameras on Pistorius. Nel is tearing him up for arse paper. He's screwed.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
If I was on a jury right now (I know there isn't one), I'd be objectively trying to believe his version, but how can I in that when we get to the point of him firing, he is saying it was accidentally and with no intent to shoot intruders, Reeva or otherwise? His attempts to get off completely without any acceptance of responsibility is giving Nel all the ammunition he needs.

The other angle worth discussing, is OP already preparing for a retrial? These constant references to his defence team not preparing his bail application correctly, all the mistakes they must have made, the ignorance OP has to all that - it seems almost calculated to me that he's at least preparing grounds for appeal / retrial. Again, everyone is to blame apart from him.

Nel is right, every aspect of OP's version is improbable. While that doesn't make it impossible, it makes it hard to believe, detail by detail, from background events, to witness accounts..

Even though I agree 100% with trial by jury (and not by judge only) and would want all trails in the UK to be in front of a jury. I do actually think in this case it is better (though not for Oscar, eventhough we shall see) that the outcome is decided by a judge (and her assistants).

I think in such cases normal members of the public can be swayed by celebrity status (OJ Simpson springs to mind) wheras judges (and assistants) with years of experience on legal matters should be able to come to the correct conclusion after weighing up all the evidence.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Lunch. Boo!!

Nel really is getting him say things he should not be saying. He remembers not shooting in the shower as a ricochet would hit him, so he was thinking then, but seconds later he was not thinking when he shot into the door. Oscar admits that he was trained in the use of a firearm, but shooting through the door was an involuntary action. Yeah, we all believe you Oscar.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

He may be, but he is not that clever. And he will certainly not be able to afford a re-trial/appeal - which is not a reason not to have one, but someone will have to cough up a huge sum of money to do it and I am not sure there are many out there that would want to.

He is just twisting and turning like a twisty turning thing, and you can call me Susan if it isn't so.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
As you're doing such a wonderful job being our court reporter @KZNSseagull then how about following Abu Hamza terror trial which starts today, don't know if it'll be covered by the media like other US court cases.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Lawyer in the studio has made a couple of interesting points:

- Oscar's answers are getting very embarrassing for his defence team and he is very unsure of where they are going to go during re-examination.

- When listening to Oscar, his sister's facial expression has changed from aggressive and head shaking at the start of cross-exam, to very passive, almost incredulous as to what she is hearing Oscar say. She isn't stupid (his brother is, but I think she has some intelligence within her). Am also interested to see that his Uncle does not appear to be in court today (at least he has not been on camera).

As you're doing such a wonderful job being our court reporter @KZNSseagull then how about following Abu Hamza terror trial which starts today, don't know if it'll be covered by the media like other US court cases.

I'll leave that to you, thanks. I have to go to work sometimes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here