Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Pistorit's sentencing live.

I don't know all the ins and outs of this but if the original judge gave him 5 years and then the same judge handled the appeal and increased it to 6, it's hardly surprising.

It's not very likely that she's going to overturn her own ruling effectively saying "You're right, 5 years was way too short, what was I thinking about? Now I'll give him 15"

It makes no sense to have the appeal heard by the trial judge. Wouldn't happen in UK.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
I don't know all the ins and outs of this but if the original judge gave him 5 years and then the same judge handled the appeal and increased it to 6, it's hardly surprising.

It's not very likely that she's going to overturn her own ruling effectively saying "You're right, 5 years was way too short, what was I thinking about? Now I'll give him 15"

It makes no sense to have the appeal heard by the trial judge. Wouldn't happen in UK.

It's obvious she's been bought off with blood money.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I expect you'd want proper justice if it was your daughter who was murdered in cold blood.

I would like to think I would have faith in the system and say he was convicted then reheard and the sentence increased so I would accept it. Giving him 50 years isnt going to bring the daughter back.

It's obvious she's been bought off with blood money.

Obvious? I hope you're not on any jury I find myself in front of!

Most people, when asked to review a decision they have made, don't say I got that completely wrong so here's a totally different decision.

They may amend the original decision but usually not by a great deal.

Human nature, innit

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Ha ha I took a photo of that too

d09f0d92b1c59a49a1dda7231e17e34a.jpg

Made me chortle.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
This is similar to the O.J Simpson trial which also ended in a farcical sentence.

It seems if you are a celebrity and can afford an expensive defence team, you can pretty much get away with murder.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is similar to the O.J Simpson trial which also ended in a farcical sentence.

It seems if you are a celebrity and can afford an expensive defence team, you can pretty much get away with murder.

Especially if you have Ray Donovan working for you...

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Depends on which O.J. Simpson trial you are talking about. The criminal trial found Mr. Simpson "not guilty" so there was no sentencing of the defendant. I think you might have meant farcical verdict.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The problem is how many times can they appeal that the sentence is too lenient. IMHO they appealed and the judge gave a verdict that should be it now they have had 2 bites of the cherry.

Different appeals. The first one was on the verdict from the original trial, this is on the sentence given as an outcome from that appeal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here