Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar interview in The Independant on Sunday today

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The last paragraph got me, about Poyet coming to Brighton and eating with some of the players.
What was all that about, I would have thought that with a potential court case coming up, it would be advisable to keep some distance from the former coach.???

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The last paragraph got me, about Poyet coming to Brighton and eating with some of the players.
What was all that about, I would have thought that with a potential court case coming up, it would be advisable to keep some distance from the former coach.???

Gus was lunching with someone else and players turned up. Nothing he could do to stop that. It's a free country ...

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The whole not telling us we're going up, just that he want's to give us a chance in the 3 years of his contract is very realistic and still positive.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

What court case?

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
good article for the independent ....normally such a dull flaccid paper

Maccabist

Jul 20, 2013
Honestly, the article is not so good.

First of all, 26 games? It's been 36 league games.
Second, missiles didn't fall at the beach, they fell in "an open space". Since there are no open spaces in Tel-Aviv, everyone understood that they fell somewhere in the sea, far from the shore, which is why they weren't intercepted and no one saw them on the other hand.
Third, no game was stopped. An alarm went off during the warm-up to the game. The match was still played, which was a disgrace, but still, it sounded better to say that it went off during the match, which it didn't...
Fourth, they didn't mention that he left Maccabi because of personal reasons (rumour has it that his ex-wife wouldn't allow his kid/s to visit him in Israel), which is why Brighton didn't have to pay any compensation to Maccabi. He assured us that he wanted to stay, and said in Hebrew in front of the whole city of Tel-Aviv, during the championship celebrations, that "My heart is yellow and will always be yellow". That's why when he signed for you, Maccabi didn't ask him or Brighton to pay a clause that was in his contract. Because we believed him that he left before he spoke with anyone. We could have asked him or Brighton to pay, or prevent him from being the coach of Brighton. We didn't, out of great respect for him. Which could be mentioned.
Fifth, if you don't know Oscar when you read this article you think he fits the English style of play. HE DOESN'T. He has valid points as to why he likes English football, but he will bore some of you, who won't understand his geniosity. Paulo Sousa failed in Leicester because he didn't fit the English football stlye. Now in Maccabi he feels at home with the style that Oscar had implemented before he came.

Oh, and sixth, he wasn't really a candidate for the Barcelona job. Why? For the same reason that he isn't in Barcelona in the first place. He is a Cruyffist. He is good friends with Jordi Cruyff, Johan Cruyff and Pep Guardiola, which is why Sandro Rosell didn't give him the Barça B job that he deserved, and let him go to Maccabi for free.
Which is interesting. And could make a good article.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012

Second, missiles didn't fall at the beach, they fell in "an open space". Since there are no open spaces in Tel-Aviv, everyone understood that they fell somewhere in the sea, far from the shore, which is why they weren't intercepted and no one saw them on the other hand.
Third, no game was stopped. An alarm went off during the warm-up to the game. The match was still played, which was a disgrace, but still, it sounded better to say that it went off during the match, which it didn't...
Fourth, they didn't mention that he left Maccabi because of personal reasons (rumour has it that his ex-wife wouldn't allow his kid/s to visit him in Israel), which is why Brighton didn't have to pay any compensation to Maccabi. He assured us that he wanted to stay, and said in Hebrew in front of the whole city of Tel-Aviv, during the championship celebrations, that "My heart is yellow and will always be yellow". That's why when he signed for you, Maccabi didn't ask him or Brighton to pay a clause that was in his contract. Because we believed him that he left before he spoke with anyone. We could have asked him or Brighton to pay, or prevent him from being the coach of Brighton. We didn't, out of great respect for him. Which could be mentioned.
Fifth, if you don't know Oscar when you read this article you think he fits the English style of play. HE DOESN'T. He has valid points as to why he likes English football, but he will bore some of you, who won't understand his geniosity. Paulo Sousa failed in Leicester because he didn't fit the English football stlye. Now in Maccabi he feels at home with the style that Oscar had implemented before he came.

Oh, and sixth, he wasn't really a candidate for the Barcelona job. Why? For the same reason that he isn't in Barcelona in the first place. He is a Cruyffist. He is good friends with Jordi Cruyff, Johan Cruyff and Pep Guardiola, which is why Sandro Rosell didn't give him the Barça B job that he deserved, and let him go to Maccabi for free.
Have you done any research on Brighton's style under Gus Poyet?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

Firstly thanks for posting, it is always interesting to read others opinions. Reading between the lines i get the impression that you feel money should have been paid to Maccabi. Do you think he didn't tell the 100% truth about why he left / had the brighton job up his sleeve?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

That might explain the awful away kit we have this season...

Maccabist

Jul 20, 2013
Have you done any research on Brighton's style under Gus Poyet?
I haven't. I commented purely on Oscar's comments about English football. Still, seeing in the starting lineup thread most people here chose a 4-2-3-1 formation, or even a 4-4-2, I'm sure you're up for suprises. I'm sure that Oscar chose Brighton becuase it's a good place to implement his style. Still, I assure you he will not just fit in, but will change it. And it definitely won't look like your rivals in the Championship...

Firstly thanks for posting, it is always interesting to read others opinions. Reading between the lines i get the impression that you feel money should have been paid to Maccabi. Do you think he didn't tell the 100% truth about why he left / had the brighton job up his sleeve?
I don't think so. He could have left anyway. His clause wasn't too high. He got offers mid-way throughout the season and rejected them. When he left Maccabi we knew that someone else will pick him up. His word that he wanted to continue with us is enough for me. I just think that it should have been mentioned, because when you read the article it seems like he left Maccabi for Brighton, when in reality he left Maccabi, and then went to sign for Brighton, with Maccabi wishing him, Ruben and Juan all the best. I don't think that any sum of money should have been paid to Maccabi, which is owned by a Canadian sugar-daddy (who invests his money on coaching staff and facilities rather then overpriced players). I think that it should have been mentioned that he left for personal reasons, and that Maccabi chose NOT to ask for the money of that clause.

Honestly, it even looks better if you're a Brighton supporter, knowing that he didn't just quit on Maccabi, right before the Champions League, with a year left on his contract. Saying he left for Brighton makes us look not good enough, and him not loyal enough. So I don't like it, I admit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This is a link to the other article....'Idealists v 'the monetisers' - a struggle for football's soul'

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...balls-soul-8735153.html?origin=internalSearch
Ha! Loved the quote from the Man City 'Fan Relationship' guy: "creating direct relationships with fans worldwide, learn about their interests and behaviours, and better engage them, serve them and monetise them". (My italics)

It's like one of those sci-fi programmes when the world is being invaded by aliens who disguise themselves as humans: occasionally the mask slips and you can see the beast behind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here