Oscar has lost the fans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And therein lies the rub. I would not say Oscar has lost me but there is something badly wrong with the current setup. The axis of Oscar, Jones and Burke have not managed to produce something coherent. I'm at a loss to understand what we're trying to achieve and I fear we're going backwards. We say we're obsessed with attacking football and we play the most isolated striker system in the division. We say we have a database on every element of a player and then seem surprised when Augstien fails to get fit and throws a strop. We say we're bringing in quality and then Keith Andrews makes noises about moving here permanently. Oscar hasn't lost the fans but the system we are currently employing is frustrating and confusing them.

Good post. If Andrews moves here permanently in the close season, alarm bells will certainly be ringing as far as I'm concerned. Assuming he'd be a middling-to-high earner, he's nowhere near good enough.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I can't disagree with what you're saying. He hasn't had it at all hard at all.

But it's worth bearing in mind that Poyet guided a team of his own payers to 4th. We then had a messy close season before OG came in, lost our best player to Sunderland, and had horrific luck with injuries to our front players. I'm not sure what position would have been acceptable to some people on here.

I can see that yes. I would have been happy with top ten all things considered if I could see progress or what he was trying to do. I'm not sure i've seen too much of that yet

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can see that yes. I would have been happy with top ten all things considered if I could see progress or what he was trying to do. I'm not sure i've seen too much of that yet
You might be right but personally I think that's a bit harsh, and this is the reason I think we need to see what he does in the close season.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Well I was there and I would say it was the majority, but not all, some people applauded the team off, like they will always. From my point of view after seeing them the last 2 away games is we are simply not good enough, we do not play to our strengths and are too defensive minded. I must admit I did laugh this morning reading Oscars comments in the Argus about him always being positive with his substitutions, totally agree with that, problem is we are normally 0-1 or 0-0 at that stage, so how about being positive with his first 11 ? I lost count how many times the last 2 games, we broke and Andrews just goes sideways or back, so frustrating. When we put Kaz and CMS on we looked good. I would have played CMS from start, as a half fit CMS is better that Rodney, plus can someone tell Lingard, where to play, as not sure he knows. We do not need major surgery, just Oscar needs to learn about his players and the league he is in. He has a chance now to just play attacking football last few games and see how that goes, as we all know 'tactics' or players he plays are just not good enough. I would give him some more time, maybe Xmas, no more. Think Mr jones may be an issue as well here, if what I hear from some Charlton fans is true.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe Poyet was right. We have hit a ceiling. A few seasons of mid-table coming up I think..

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm kind of torn on Burke. I find it hard to castigate him properly because I'm not totally sure of the financial restrictions he's been placed under (though we are led to believe they are strict); but even accounting for that his scouting/recruitment performance has been average at best. As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] says, Keith Andrews is a real headscratcher. Were they expecting more from him? Is he performing to a level that would convince the management to buy? Was he the best available option, at that price? I struggle to believe that.

PB has said (I'm paraphrasing) that due to FFP there is much more pressure on every single transfer to be right; i.e. no duds & get the maximum value out of your wages. Our loan signings this season have been patchy to say the least.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
At times last season Ulloa was a little isolated, but mostly we had Barnes and/or Orlandi playing as a second striker.

No we didn't. And this season, we've often switched to play far narrower with Buckley or Lua Lua alongside Ulloa.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm kind of torn on Burke. I find it hard to castigate him properly because I'm not totally sure of the financial restrictions he's been placed under (though we are led to believe they are strict); but even accounting for that his scouting/recruitment performance has been average at best. As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] says, Keith Andrews is a real headscratcher. Were they expecting more from him? Is he performing to a level that would convince the management to buy? Was he the best available option, at that price? I struggle to believe that.

PB has said (I'm paraphrasing) that due to FFP there is much more pressure on every single transfer to be right; i.e. no duds & get the maximum value out of your wages. Our loan signings this season have been patchy to say the least.

Ward has been excellent. Lingard has been pretty good, and I predict that we'll see more from him in the last six games. Conway was well settled by the time he departed.
I agree with your comments about Andrews, who I don't think should be playing so much, and has been a disappointment, especially because of his experience and pedigree -- I don't mind him playing the ball backwards and sideways, that's possession football, what I mind is when he plays the ball backwards when there's a more promising and not too taxing forward option. Obika was awful, and Oscar just wasn't convinced about Lita.
With loan signings, we have to think about what the club expects of them, how much they intend to play, and so on.
I think that, on balance, Burke is doing OK. What most people on here don't seem to get is:
-- there are other teams with more money to spend
-- there are other teams flouting FFP
-- we're putting far more money into our development squad in comparison with other Championship clubs, to the detriment of the first team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports