Óscar García Junyent - Club CONFIRM appointment as Head Coach (8.10pm, 26 June)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Óscar García Junyent

Yep - note the language SSN are using: "OG to REPLACE GP....", not "OG coming in as interim Head Coach, while GP's appeal is considered". All grist to GP's lawyers' mill.

Don't get me wrong - I think OG would be a BRILLIANT appointment. I simply think that that his appointment now makes it more likely that GP will get a payout (or a larger one than he otherwise would have got), which calls into question whether the tactics of following UK employment law over the last six weeks were a sensible decision. Of course, 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing...

The club can't be held to ransom regarding how sky have worded it Shirley can they? So long as the club announce it as interim then they'll be ok wont they?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Yep - note the language SSN are using: "OG to REPLACE GP....", not "OG coming in as interim Head Coach, while GP's appeal is considered"

Wouldn't really be a snappy headline for a scrolling news bar would it? For all intents and purposes, OGJ is replacing Poyet regardless of whether it is interim or not

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
seems to me from the clubs actions and confidence in those actions, that they believe they have poyet bang to rights on something - otherwise they would have just paid him off rather than going thru this rigmarole. If this is the case, they may well be banking on poyet not wanting to drag his name and actions through the courts (and becoming public knowledge) for want of harming his career even further.

Yep - IF the club have him bang to rights on something. If they did though, then why go through a disciplinary process? The option for immediate dismissal for gross misconduct was always available....

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Yep - note the language SSN are using: "OG to REPLACE GP....", not "OG coming in as interim Head Coach, while GP's appeal is considered". All grist to GP's lawyers' mill.

Why should the choice of wording by hacks at a TV news channel have any bearing whatsoever on a dispute between the club and GP? Sky wrote that, not BHAFC.

Edit: seems my point has already been made by people who type faster than I do...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Don't get me wrong - I think OG would be a BRILLIANT appointment. I simply think that that his appointment now makes it more likely that GP will get a payout (or a larger one than he otherwise would have got), which calls into question whether the tactics of following UK employment law over the last six weeks were a sensible decision. Of course, 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing...

But that is only Sky reporting and saying that you can bet when he is appointed there will be a different job title. After all this and trying to do things right (whether it has all gone to plan is a different question) I can't see them slipping up at the final hurdle.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Óscar García Junyent

Yep - IF the club have him bang to rights on something. If they did though, then why go through a disciplinary process? The option for immediate dismissal for gross misconduct was always available....

He would still have the right to appeal

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Totally agree it's all about money at this point. I just think that appointing OG as "interim" is likely to be seen by GP's lawyers (and possibly a Court) as not credible unless OG has been unofficially offered the job as permanent. Why take 6 weeks to try to avoid paying his compensation, only to then do something in the last knockings to make it more likely that you have to pay him off anyway?

It's a good point, but as you mention above the club have been absolutely meticulous in following employment law to the letter. So SURELY they would have checked out what they were entitled to do within the law so as not to jeopardise proceedings? In court Gus's lawyers can make insinuations about a coincidence but unless they have concrete proof that we haven't just hired him as an interim, then I don't think they will get anywhere.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The club can't be held to ransom regarding how sky have worded it Shirley can they? So long as the club announce it as interim then they'll be ok wont they?

All evidence is admissible unless the Judge deems it inadmissible. The Court would seek to find the substance of what has happened. IMO, if a major news outlet chose to report the news in the way they have, it would be evidence that the interpretation in the media of events is that GP is being replaced by OG, which would be helpful to GP's case and damaging to the club's. By itself, a tiny thing - but not a helpful thing.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Here's my theory.

Albion have a strong case against Gus (or they wouldn't have sacked him in the first place and risked losing an appeal).
Gus will not now appeal and in return Albion will keep the breaches of contract private.
Gus walks and Oscar moves from Interim to FT Manager.

Life goes on and this nasty chapter is over.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague has said on Twitter that Maccabi Tel Aviv Oscar Garcia is set to replace Gus Poyet as Brighton manager. Poyet was dismissed on Sunday.

Bootiful

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports