Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Óscar García Junyent - Club CONFIRM appointment as Head Coach (8.10pm, 26 June)

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
From Sport.Es in Spain

NEW PROJECT FOR EXAZULGRANA RSS Planet Barça
Oscar Garcia signing for Brighton
While waiting to fix the dismissal of Gustavo Poyet, the Brighton and Oscar Garcia has realized that his successor at the helm, with whom he signed a two-year contract
Votes (0)
Comments (0)

Oscar directed to Brighton | Photo: Ignasi Paredes

George White | 26/06/2013 | 10:52 h.
Catalan, favorite for the post above reputed names in British football as Martin O'Neill, Harry Redknapp and Glenn Hoddle, will join the 'Seagulls' as 'Head Coach' as not be officially detached from the entity Gustavo Poyet, who last week was sacked by the club after the dispute that pitted the two sides since he was removed from office following the elimination in the play off for promotion to the Premier against Crystal Palace.

The Uruguayan Sunday night announced his intention to appeal the dismissal in order to collect a compensation Anthony Bloom club does not consider himself Poyet pay it because I would have said I wanted to leave the organization.

Once solved the issue remains, Oscar will become the 'General Manager' in an adventure in which, for now, will accompany Ruben Martinez as goalkeeping coach . The team, which returned to work on Monday, will now, however, under the command of Catalan, which at the end of last season left the bench of Maccabi Tel Aviv Israel after him champion ten years after their last league title.

I love these translations. An adventure with Brighton indeed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I feel that as long as the club can avoid any proof that they offered Oscar the role before sacking Gus they can offer his whatever terms they like. It's not like Gus is going to win his job back at appeal. All he's fighting for is a payout and to save his reputation. He's been sacked, there's no going back.

Totally agree it's all about money at this point. I just think that appointing OG as "interim" is likely to be seen by GP's lawyers (and possibly a Court) as not credible unless OG has been unofficially offered the job as permanent. Why take 6 weeks to try to avoid paying his compensation, only to then do something in the last knockings to make it more likely that you have to pay him off anyway?

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
If we're appointing as head coach he wouldn't be replacing the role poyet holds as manager. In theory you could argue we could have both. A bit like making a post redundant, not the person

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Óscar García Junyent

u8y8ynyq.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If we're appointing as head coach he wouldn't be replacing the role poyet holds as manager. In theory you could argue we could have both. A bit like making a post redundant, not the person

Yes, I saw that after making the original post. It's just possible you might get away with a temporary "Head Coach", followed by a permanent "General manager" (as I also saw is being mooted). However, remember that if the GP saga were to end up in Court, the Judge will look at the substance of what is happening, not just the spin. Also, remember that any proceedings would be civil and not criminal, so the standard of proof required is "on the balance of probabilities", not "beyond reasonable doubt".

I agree with Giraffe that it's not likely that any dispute would actually get to Court - both sides would want to settle before the dirty washing was very publicly aired!

How could the club avoid the above? Well, appointing McGhee, for example, on a very definite temporary basis, say a month, then appointing OG permanently would kill off the threat I've highlighted. However, it would pre-season would be "managed" by a different person than the full season, signings would be done by, presumably, Burke and TB and not the permanent manager, and OG may go elsewhere. Not good at all!

So, it seems likely that OG will be appointed, first as temp and then perm; and the club will take the risk of giving GP and his lawyers a field day. If so, one has to wonder what the purpose of the last few weeks has been....

Other opinions are available.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
From 2011.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ltimately-replace-pep-guardiola-in-bar/page/5

For

Óscar García is the most promising coach still at Barcelona not named Pep Guardiola and knows how Barça works inside out.

He had the best season ever with Barcelona Juvenil "A," losing only two games the whole season.

Against

He didn't get the "B" team job for a reason (I hope).

Unproven at pro level.

Verdict

A very talented, young coach and a successful one at youth levels with Barcelona, he would be my undisputed pick to be Barça B's coach already.

He's doing marvellous things with the players he would one day see again as a first-team coach (just like Guardiola did before him).

If he'd been awarded the "B" team, he'd be way higher on this list.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I feel that as long as the club can avoid any proof that they offered Oscar the role before sacking Gus they can offer his whatever terms they like. It's not like Gus is going to win his job back at appeal. All he's fighting for is a payout and to save his reputation. He's been sacked, there's no going back.

Am I being naïve in thinking that if Poyet wins his case the club can carry on paying him by the month by putting him on gardening leave and waiting for a club to offer to pay for his services rather than TB just giving him a cheque for circa 2.5 million and waving goodbye? Meanwhile appoint a new manager, a bit like Saints and Adkins?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It remains to be seen if the delay will adversely effect our season.

We'll never know though, will we?

Whatever happens next season, we might have finshed higher or lower under Gus or, if he'd been sacked six weeks ago, under whoever was appointed then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Twitter:

Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 12m
Maccabi Tel Aviv's head fitness coach and assistant coach have quit the Israeli champions to join forces with OG in his next job. #bhafc

That HAS to mean they've been offered another job already!?

Our fitness coach is Matt Miller aka Stretch.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Yes, I saw that after making the original post. It's just possible you might get away with a temporary "Head Coach", followed by a permanent "General manager" (as I also saw is being mooted). However, remember that if the GP saga were to end up in Court, the Judge will look at the substance of what is happening, not just the spin. Also, remember that any proceedings would be civil and not criminal, so the standard of proof required is "on the balance of probabilities", not "beyond reasonable doubt".

I agree with Giraffe that it's not likely that any dispute would actually get to Court - both sides would want to settle before the dirty washing was very publicly aired!

How could the club avoid the above? Well, appointing McGhee, for example, on a very definite temporary basis, say a month, then appointing OG permanently would kill off the threat I've highlighted. However, it would pre-season would be "managed" by a different person than the full season, signings would be done by, presumably, Burke and TB and not the permanent manager, and OG may go elsewhere. Not good at all!

So, it seems likely that OG will be appointed, first as temp and then perm; and the club will take the risk of giving GP and his lawyers a field day. If so, one has to wonder what the purpose of the last few weeks has been....

Other opinions are available.

seems to me from the clubs actions and confidence in those actions, that they believe they have poyet bang to rights on something - otherwise they would have just paid him off rather than going thru this rigmarole. If this is the case, they may well be banking on poyet not wanting to drag his name and actions through the courts (and becoming public knowledge) for want of harming his career even further.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Yep - note the language SSN are using: "OG to REPLACE GP....", not "OG coming in as interim Head Coach, while GP's appeal is considered". All grist to GP's lawyers' mill.

Don't get me wrong - I think OG would be a BRILLIANT appointment. I simply think that that his appointment now makes it more likely that GP will get a payout (or a larger one than he otherwise would have got), which calls into question whether the tactics of following UK employment law over the last six weeks were a sensible decision. Of course, 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
seems to me from the clubs actions and confidence in those actions, that they believe they have poyet bang to rights on something - otherwise they would have just paid him off rather than going thru this rigmarole. If this is the case, they may well be banking on poyet not wanting to drag his name and actions through the courts (and becoming public knowledge) for want of harming his career even further.

The whole point is that the club didn't want to pay him off, but sack him via contract law, so that they saved money for FFP. This is all about money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here