Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia - Is he what we hoped he would be?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Unless of course the plan was to just to conservatively keep tabs and then go MENTAL in the last month with attacking flair..

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Interesting that you despised Poyet and wanted him out yet have no time for Garcia either (normally people on here are either in one camp or the other). Who would you like to see manage the club? And which previous Albion managers did you like and think did a good job?

Why did you hate Poyet so much, given that for any faults you may think he had (ego, big mouth, touting himself to other teams, etc), he is obviously a very good and very passionate manager?.

Why have you not answered these questions? I'm genuinely intrigued.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Disagree. I don't think he anywhere near that long. THe problem isn't the results. The problem is the boring negative football. I think people could put up with it if there was entertainment, but it just so boring, I really fear for the season ticket sales next season. Out of my group of 5, 2 are definitely not renewing. I have spoke to a number of others who say they will not renew and a lot are saying they are seriously considering it.

If we have another drab season next year, then the club could be in serious problems with season ticket uptake. I feel this is an issue that the club and manager need to address sooner rather than later.

People have mentioned the season ticket renewal uptake asan excuse to change manager but I really don't think it should ever be considered as a reason for or against a manager.

In the grand scheme of things we are never going to improve year on year, every single year because that's impossible. That means we're going to have a crap season at some point, this season has been a very average season but I think that was expected by most people after Gus left.

With that in mind, if people are talking about giving up their ST after one average season where we finished top 10 in the 2nd division I think it's fair to say they were always going to f**k it off sooner rather than later anyway, so it's really not worth worrying about.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It is a difficult one in that I didn't really have any great expectations of him or anything to base them on when he arrived.

Has he been hit by bad injuries? Of course. Our league position is pretty healthy all things considered.

But I have to admit to being a bit disappointed by how, well, boring we are at times. Hopefully that will change over the coming weeks.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It is a difficult one in that I didn't really have any great expectations of him or anything to base them on when he arrived.

Has he been hit by bad injuries? Of course. Our league position is pretty healthy all things considered.

But I have to admit to being a bit disappointed by how, well, boring we are at times. Hopefully that will change over the coming weeks.

I think his system relies heavily on wingers and ours have been very inconsistent throughout the season. If we can get Buckley fit, Lingard used to the system, and Stephens back to give a bit of drive down the middle over the next couple of games we won't be so frustrating to watch. Here's hoping.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think his system relies heavily on wingers and ours have been very inconsistent throughout the season. If we can get Buckley fit, Lingard used to the system, and Stephens back to give a bit of drive down the middle over the next couple of games we won't be so frustrating to watch. Here's hoping.

And that's the problem...when you play that system you rely more heavily upon others scoring goals...which we just havnt been sucessful at for whatever reason

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I'd go along with that.

I've got this season down as his probation. Assuming we keep the nucleus of the squad, keep relatively free of injuries and add a couple of decent signings in the summer then the bar goes up and I'd expect a lot more

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I don't really understand all the frustration. I can't believe that people choose to quote "I am obsessed with attacking football" as though he has lied..he also says in the same quote that he wants possession of the ball, to try and create lots of chances. I genuinely cannot think of too many games where I have come away bored, any more or any less than I was with Gus Poyet. In fact I prefer our efforts to get the ball forward quicker on occasions. I cannot get away from the fact that our key attacking players have not performed with any consistency at all - whether that be through injury or form. Lua Lua is always at his best as an impact player as far as I can see. Buckley has failed to dominate a game apart from in short spells (10 minutes against Bolton, looked good when he came on against Reading) but other than that.....Orlandi and Lopez were at the heart of most of what was good going forwards last season, but have been seriously out of form this season, Orlandi maybe through injury. I am delighted to see Ince, March and JFC get more chances, but they are still learning. Yeah we can change formation, but the reality of playing 4-4-2 as an example fills me with horror if Buckley and Lua Lua are our wide midfielders. I also dont buy the argument that people would prefer to be losing 3-2 than winning 1-0 and be in with a shout of winning most games that we play. The Forest game apart, I cannot think of one team that came and looked far better than us, on the contrary..ask Wigan. Yet in previous seasons, Watford, Hull, Forest, Palace all came and took us apart..
If winning 1-0 is a problem, god help us if we start losing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Forest game apart, I cannot think of one team that came and looked far better than us, on the contrary..ask Wigan. Yet in previous seasons, Watford, Hull, Forest, Palace all came and took us apart..
If winning 1-0 is a problem, god help us if we start losing.

We beat Hull 1-0 last season & drew 0-0 the season before, the Forest game was a draw, so maybe you ought to change your contact lense.

E

We beat Hull 1-0 last season & drew 0-0 the season before, the Forest game was a draw, so maybe you ought to change your contact lense.

But in football terms Hull dominated abd should have won, and the season before we sneaked a 1-0 win against a poor Forest team in the last few minutes...my lenses are just fine thanks.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But in football terms Hull dominated abd should have won, and the season before we sneaked a 1-0 win against a poor Forest team in the last few minutes...my lenses are just fine thanks.

They didn't take us apart did they? I agree the Palace home game in 2011 & Watford game in 2012 were comprehensive beatings. We did beat Palace in March & Watford away last season.

E

They didn't take us apart did they? I agree the Palace home game in 2011 & Watford game in 2012 were comprehensive beatings. We did beat Palace in March & Watford away last season.

Fair enough, maybe "take us apart" is too strong, but the point I am trying to make is that I havent felt out-played at all this season, whereas in previous seasons their have been 2 or 3 occasions where we have been, and not just because we have had a bad day. Incidentally, the Watford away last season was a "mugging" on our part in my opinion..I think Oscar has us competing well and I just dont agree that we are less exciting to watch..just less in form in front of goal...

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Only 3 on target efforts in the last 2 matches and 2 were at Millwall so in a must win home match we had 1 shot on target and that wasn't till injury time, a pretty shocking statistic. We've always had Albion fans that can't see their arse from their elbow and in 2009 there were still chumps saying give Adams more time when it was obvious it was a mistake to give him the managers job. It's happening a lot now with foreign managers now, they're getting found out. Just because they're foreign and once coached Barcelonas youth team and won a Mickey Mouse league doesn't make them a good manager or head coach or whatever, West Brom realise that as did Fulham and Cardiff and Karankie at Boro has hardly set the world alight

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Only 3 on target efforts in the last 2 matches and 2 were at Millwall so in a must win home match we had 1 shot on target and that wasn't till injury time, a pretty shocking statistic. We've always had Albion fans that can't see their arse from their elbow and in 2009 there were still chumps saying give Adams more time when it was obvious it was a mistake to give him the managers job. It's happening a lot now with foreign managers now, they're getting found out. Just because they're foreign and once coached Barcelonas youth team and won a Mickey Mouse league doesn't make them a good manager or head coach or whatever, West Brom realise that as did Fulham and Cardiff and Karankie at Boro has hardly set the world alight

also people that talk out of there arse

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fair enough, maybe "take us apart" is too strong, but the point I am trying to make is that I havent felt out-played at all this season, whereas in previous seasons their have been 2 or 3 occasions where we have been, and not just because we have had a bad day. Incidentally, the Watford away last season was a "mugging" on our part in my opinion..I think Oscar has us competing well and I just dont agree that we are less exciting to watch..just less in form in front of goal...

I dont disagree with our sentiments overall if we are talking about home games...but did you not think Forest took us apart in the 2nd half at the Amex this season?

E

I dont disagree with our sentiments overall if we are talking about home games...but did you not think Forest took us apart in the 2nd half at the Amex this season?

I do agree and mentioned it in my 1st post on page 13,...normally my posts (and there aren't that many!) pass by unnoticed...I must take more care with the detail and consistency!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
For everyone on here who questions Garcia, I'd be keen to know who you'd prefer in the hot seat? Thinking through all the Championship and lower EPL managers, I can only think of a couple I'd be keen on - Rosler and Dyche. And even then, I don't think I'd rush out and swap Oscar for one of them.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Our style of play involves slowly moving the ball from side accross the defence, occasionaly flirting with the wings, when this inevitably doesn't work the ball gets whacked at Ulloa who has nobody within 20 yards of him. IMO our so called style is slow, predictable, boring and couldn't be further from resembling anything like attacking football. We're slow and ponderous and rarely threaten the opposition goal.

That and 33 goals in 35 games or whatever tells its own story frankly. Attacking football MY ARSE.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I didn't have any specific hopes for Oscar beyond wanting him to steady the ship after the summer and keep us within 6 points of the play offs at Christmas. He delivered this and despite some woeful tactics and performances (Watford away stands out) there have been others that have given real cause for optimism (e.g. Wigan at home despite the result). If he keeps us in the mix into the final 2/3 games then I'm a happy man and would hope he could then kick on next season (assuming he can retain his choice of players).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here