Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia - Is he what we hoped he would be?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Disagree. I don't think he anywhere near that long. THe problem isn't the results. The problem is the boring negative football. I think people could put up with it if there was entertainment, but it just so boring, I really fear for the season ticket sales next season. Out of my group of 5, 2 are definitely not renewing. I have spoke to a number of others who say they will not renew and a lot are saying they are seriously considering it.

If we have another drab season next year, then the club could be in serious problems with season ticket uptake. I feel this is an issue that the club and manager need to address sooner rather than later.

When Oscar first got he, he said he prefers an attacking style. Doesn't like drawing, he would rather go for it and win games.

IMO he needs to start delivering or at least attempting this. Otherwise within a few games he's likely to have a problem with the crowd turning on him.

But we haven't been boring! We've created shedloads of chances this season, some of the finishing has been poor, some of the opponents goalkeepers have had to put in astounding games to keep us out. Granted the Millwall performance was utter tripe, and we did not have too many chances on saturday (but we did have chances to win the game). To say we are institutionally boring is just nonesense.

So we haven't scored as many goals as we'd like, but we have taking shots and creating chances, just wish we'd convert a few more.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think you've missed what I was getting at: If a player has missed even a couple of weeks through an injury, it can be a while before they've regained the stamina and strength to last 90 minutes in a competitive fixture. Of course, it won't take as long as people like CMS or Hoskins as they've had longer out. They can be fit in the 'i don't have the injury that kept me out' sense, but just not 'fit' in the 'i can play 90mins with no ill effects' sense.
I know exactly what you are saying but I think you are repeating a cliche and are wide of the mark.

These are professional athletes, they will have the stamia and strength needed through training. Match fitness is obtained through minutes on the pitch, and really is just about getting back up to speed with a proper competitive game, which you never get in training. But as far as strength/stamina goes, it has nothing to do with them sitting on the bench IMO.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
My obsession is to attack, to attack the opposition, to keep the ball and to have the ball as many times as possible. If we have the ball we will have many chances to score and win the game. That’s my philosophy. If you play good football you will have more chances to win than if you play bad.”

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/oscar-impressed-by-albion-883784.aspx

First ever interview for the website, 28 June.
Just about to post that exact link.

Here's the full story.

New Brighton & Hove Albion head coach Oscar Garcia has promised an attacking approach from the team next season.

The 40-year-old former Barcelona player was appointed this week following the sacking of manager Gus Poyet.

"My obsession is to attack, to keep the ball and to have the ball as many times as possible.

"If we have the ball, we will have many chances to score and win the game. That's my philosophy," the Spaniard told the club website.

"If you play good [football] you will have more chances to win than if you play bad [football]."

Garcia, who won the Israeli title with Maccabi Tel Aviv last season, his first in management, took charge of pre-season training at the Championship club on Thursday.
Oscar Garcia
Oscar Garcia

Playing career: Barcelona B, Barcelona, Albacete (loan), Valencia, Espanyol, Lleida.

Coaching career: Catalonia (assistant), Barcelona (youth), Maccabi Tel Aviv (manager).

"I'm impressed with all the people that are working at Brighton and it's a pleasure for me to be here," he said.

"I met all the players and I saw a lot of good things. I knew English football and I knew some players who are playing here."

During a 14-year playing career, Garcia also represented Albacete, Valencia, Espanyol and Lleida and featured for Spain at the 1996 Olympics.

Garcia began his coaching career with the Catalonia national side before working with the youth teams at Barcelona and said becoming a manager had always interested him.

"When I was a player I was always thinking about what the coach was thinking and why he did [certain things]," he said.

"I love thinking about how we can win a game or how we can kill [off] the opponent. These kind of things made me think I wanted to be a manager.

"When you are a manager you have to think about maybe 30 people and it's not easy.

"It's more difficult to be a coach or a manager than a player."

"I love thinking about how we can win a game or how we can kill [off] the opponent.:rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf: Kill them off, or send them to sleep!!

"My obsession is to attack...:rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf: Ohh stop it Oscar. My sides have just split. I think a little bit of wee came out I'm laughing so much!!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yes he's what I hoped for. A lot of the stuff we play is indeed tedious - the constant passing along the back four for example. But when Albion are on form their passing is wonderful to watch, it's just that it's not that often and also occurs when we've left it too late as in the Wigan game. If we could produce the performance of the last half-hour in that match we'd be shoo-ins for the play-offs. I've not seen another side that can outpass the Albion this season. Defensively we are brilliant too. I'm hopeful that when Oscar gets the final pieces to his jigsaw in we'll be fine. Maybe we won't go up this season but I'm confident about the future.

Mostly this. There are a number of reasons we are where we are and most are not down to Oscar. He surprises me occasionally with his substitution decisions and I'm not happy that PIG now hoofs it up field every f*cking time, but overall our dire scoring record is down to other things, not least of which is the fact that Ulloa is now so afraid of being injured again that he's become ineffective.

We have a team that can control the ball from out of our own area, right up the wing (either side) and to the opposite corner. Then, some of the time, we are capable of some superb crosses (- except sat, when all of our team seemed to think we were playing on the pitch east-to-west not north-to-south judging by the number of crosses that floated past everyone) but no one seems to be able to play the last shot. How many times do we have possession in their box, but our man is facing the wrong way and is incapable of turning and with no one in a position to support we just lose the ball?

A few changes (which we might not actually be able to make) and we'd have been dominating the play off spots, even given some of the shocking loan/purchase decisions -Obiika? FFS, what was the point? - Spanish Dave II? Why is he so sh*t given he has such potential on paper?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Match fitness is obtained through minutes on the pitch, and really is just about getting back up to speed with a proper competitive game, which you never get in training.

That was the point I was trying to make (albeit i worded mine poorly); the players on the bench may fit in a 'recovered' sense, but need the minutes to get back to speed. Throwing them in for 90 minutes straight away would be counter-productive as they may be knackered after 50 mins - best to give them 1-2 games of 30-40 mins from the bench, when they are fresher against a tiring defence, then give them the full 90 when their match fitness is back.
Plus i wouldn't think it is a cliche, as it seems to be a regular occurrence in professional sport.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Can we get a huge banner "My Obsession is to attack - Oscar Garcia 2013"

Might serve as a timely reminder to the bench on occasions!

(Might be worth writing it in Spanish too)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The only way to see if Oscar is the man for us is to make him manager and responsible for everything on the pitch including the scouting network and signing new players, it is not working having Burke or Jones sign players and waste money on loanees who are not good enough for the team.

If Oscar had full control then we can see if he really is up to the job or not.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
We're one player away from being a very good team and that's a player who can supply Ulloa with the ammo he needs to score more and stop him from being so bloody isolated all the time, having to work so ridiculously hard to get the ball. That bloke must have the patience of a saint. Question is do we already have such a player at the club??

And you know for a fact that all 3 were fully fit and available to play the full 90?

You've made this point on more than one thread and it's utterly obtuse. Players are not injured if they are fit enough to be named on the bench. If there are problems with fitness levels for the full 90 they can be substituted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You've made this point on more than one thread and it's utterly obtuse. Players are not injured if they are fit enough to be named on the bench. If there are problems with fitness levels for the full 90 they can be substituted.

Absolute rubbish. On many occasions players aren't fit to play 90 mins and are then put on the bench to use for a short time perhaps 10 or 15 mins in an emergency if needed, but it is hoped they wont be needed. This is in direct contrast to a p[layer like Lingard who they said from the outset that he wasnt fit to last more than about 60 mins so started him and told him to blow himself out, this had nothing to do with an injury but general fitness which is a totally different situation.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
"I love thinking about how we can win a game or how we can kill [off] the opponent.:rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf: Kill them off, or send them to sleep!!

"My obsession is to attack...:rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf::rotlf: Ohh stop it Oscar. My sides have just split. I think a little bit of wee came out I'm laughing so much!!

If you want a manager that only does attacking football, you get Holloway.

We have not been as entertained by the football on show as I would have liked, but I don't blame Oscar to the same extent that you do. He has the choice of who to field and how to play but I don't agree that he has had the squad to do it with for much of the season. You say the injuries are mostly behind us and that the loss of Bridcutt is the only severe weakening since last season. I say Spanish Daves drop in form, Orlandi and Buckley being in and out of fit to play still, Kaz also and losing Crofts to injury are affecting us now. Selling Barnes and losing Crofts to injury are massive blows.
The good news that Oscar has had with players have mostly been to cover some positions we thought we might struggle to cover, Ward has been fantastic and has made me almost glad that Bridge moved on, Ince coming through to diminish the loss of Bridcutt, March coming through to cover some of the winger injuries. These have not made us stronger, just stopped the standard from slipping as much as we might have feared.

Our most entertaining and influential players from last season have been the players that have spent the most time with the physio this season, mostly we have been watchable though, with a couple of stinkers and a couple of stonkers.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I mainly agree with the OP, although feel some of his criticisms are a bit OTT.

Oscar said he would "attack, attack, attack" in the summer. He hasn't. He has been overly cautious in his team selection pretty consistently. Not playing at least one of Buckley, Kaz and March FROM THE START against Reading meant we immediately lost the initiative AT HOME. Big selection mistake, and NOT the first time Oscar has made it.

Reading were no better than average. They then gifted us a goal. We didn't score it ourselves, and we didn't look like we would score with 11 on the field. The sending off was 100% correct, and we only started creating chances when Buckley was brought on, then March. What a huge ****ing surprise.

We got a draw, which wasn't bad BECAUSE most of our rivals slipped up, BUT Oscar needs to learn from the Reading game and loosen the defensive shackles for the remainder of the home games this season, starting with tomorrow.

Absolute rubbish. On many occasions players aren't fit to play 90 mins and are then put on the bench to use for a short time perhaps 10 or 15 mins in an emergency if needed, but it is hoped they wont be needed. .

Yes, in parks football :lolol:

So in your expert view, which of LuaLua, Buckley and March were only fit to play 10 minutes, and then we can fact check your nonsense

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Buckley isnt yet 100% fit and Lua Lua isnt good enough to start in fact both are best as subs at the moment, as happened on Saturday, so it looks like Oscar, Nathan Jones think the same.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The only way to see if Oscar is the man for us is to make him manager and responsible for everything on the pitch including the scouting network and signing new players, it is not working having Burke or Jones sign players and waste money on loanees who are not good enough for the team.

*ahem* THIS,THIS AND A THOUSAND TIMES THIS :) been saying it all season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Buckley says he is, possibly due to being desperate to play but were the management and medical staff so convinced, we do not know one way or the other and can only summise, based on team selection etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

On the face of it a very simple and sensible solution but it isnt the way in which we as a club have decided is the way forward.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I mainly agree with the OP, although feel some of his criticisms are a bit OTT.

Oscar said he would "attack, attack, attack" in the summer. He hasn't. He has been overly cautious in his team selection pretty consistently. Not playing at least one of Buckley, Kaz and March FROM THE START against Reading meant we immediately lost the initiative AT HOME. Big selection mistake, and NOT the first time Oscar has made it.

Reading were no better than average. They then gifted us a goal. We didn't score it ourselves, and we didn't look like we would score with 11 on the field. The sending off was 100% correct, and we only started creating chances when Buckley was brought on, then March. What a huge ****ing surprise.

We got a draw, which wasn't bad BECAUSE most of our rivals slipped up, BUT Oscar needs to learn from the Reading game and loosen the defensive shackles for the remainder of the home games this season, starting with tomorrow.

Agreed. I thought it was fair enough that he stayed cautious whilst we had an insane amount of midfield injuries, but now we have a wealth, a PLETHORA of attacking options. No reason not to go for it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here