Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oscar - first third of the season comparison

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think Tony Bloom has chosen a manager with the right credentials and the right temperament - someone who has the potential to slot very neatly into the club's medium and longer-term plans in a way Gus was never likely to.

I don't expect or necessarily want promotion this season. But I'm pretty confident that as a club we're making steady progress and am glad we're not rushing things.

And ... of course talk is cheap and nobody is fooled by badge-kissing and "the fans are brilliant" statements, but it is nice that Oscar acknowledges the crowd and says thoughtful things in interviews despite his limited English. He seems like an excellent choice on every level.

Very nicely put, couldn't agree more

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I see it as confirmation that we can be confident about the season overall.

Poyet's stats compare, but Oscar has a new team to develop to his way of playing, and so many injuries it is unreal. If we can stay in the mix, there is every reason to think we will have a good run-in to the Playoffs at least.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Thanks for the stats Bold Seagull.

I think that shows what a good job Oscar has done given the injuries and the problems over the summer. We can really push on from here and improve on last season's finish.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The Barca B that are 20th out of 22 teams in the second division, and lost 7 of the last 8 games? Getting spanked 3-0 on Saturday by the mighty Real Jaén. They also let Fran Sandaza score against them earlier in the season.

Wow didn't follow the goings ons at Rangers that resulted in Sandancer returning to Spain. Just catching up on Wiki

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Would those medium and long term plans, on the playing side, be the ones laid down by Gus?

I'm very pro Oscar and have been since the Burnley game.
The changes he implemented after Derby, were not only so obvious I could see them, but they were attacking and put us on the front foot.

But with that said, dismissing and airbrushing Gus from history is churlish at best, and down right idiotic at worst.

What is wrong with your eyes Stat Brother? Where has the OP 'airbrushed Gus from history'??? The point he made was that Gus was never likely to stick around for the long term which I believe is a view the vast majority of us share.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What is wrong with your eyes Stat Brother? Where has the OP 'airbrushed Gus from history'??? The point he made was that Gus was never likely to stick around for the long term which I believe is a view the vast majority of us share.
At the point of departing Gus was in the top 10 of longest serving managers (I appreciate that says more about the job than Gus).
Nevertheless, you can't praise OG while dismissing Gus as 'he wouldn't have been here anyway'.

Chances are OG wouldn't even be here were he to be following Pulis, due to the scale of the job required.
If he were we'd be resigned to 2 or 3 years of rebuilding.

So as much as I lurve OG, more so than Gus.
Because if the latters desire to not lose, winning out over any desire to win.
Gus' name shouldn't just be a bye-line to Oscars greatness.

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Exactly, excellent post by Monkey Man; his passing, minor reference to Gus has been blown up out of all proportion by Stat Brother.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This is ridiculously premature. Come back thirty minutes into the Wigan game then we can have a proper first third of the season comparison...

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Fixtures are much harder. QPR & Reading away were the hardest two on the season, on paper at least. We're really not doing that badly

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly, excellent post by Monkey Man; his passing, minor reference to Gus has been blown up out of all proportion by Stat Brother.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!
That wasn't my intention as hopeful #29 goes some way to explain.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
This is ridiculously premature. Come back thirty minutes into the Wigan game then we can have a proper first third of the season comparison...

Hopefully an early goal....Wigan according to their stats are slow starters...however we've lost three games from winning positions but I hope we can put that behind...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
After 15 games we're near enough where we've been for the last two seasons. All the doom and gloom is slowly dissipating.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oscar now has us pretty much exactly matched with our position at the same stage last season.

Now:
P16 W6 D6 L4 GD 5 PTS 24
League pos. 9th (2 pts off 6th)

Last season:
P16 W6 D6 L4 GD 8 PTS 24
League pos. 8th (3 pts off 6th)

:clap:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Oscar now has us pretty much exactly matched with our position at the same stage last season.

Now:
P16 W6 D6 L4 GD 5 PTS 24
League pos. 9th (2 pts off 6th)

Last season:
P16 W6 D6 L4 GD 8 PTS 24
League pos. 8th (3 pts off 6th)

:clap:

And...just wait for our full-strength squad to return :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here