Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Orient fans invade pitch, force match abandonment to save a fans life

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Very sad, RIP Derek, whatever the failings I would like to think something good will now happen to make officials of football clubs more fan safety focused no matter what league that may be in, professional or amateur, don't point fingers just do something positive about it where possible and most of all learn from the mistakes made.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It sounds like the stewards were useless so don't know how you draw that conclusion. Hence, "This a failure of the stewards, not the referee. It's literally what they are there for".

"Weird" was a reference to people rushing to blame the match officials as if the club/medical response to an emergency was somehow primarily their fault.
People get taken ill at football matches - that's one of the reasons why there are stewards. Sounds like the stewards in this case weren't doing a very goood job. Medical attention needs to be gt to the patient quickly, obviously, so if the medicss need to run across the pitch rather than round it, fine, stop the game and restart it with a drop ball.
Once somebody is being treated in the stand, why is there a need to stop the game? The medics job isn't any easier if play is stopped, there's simply no medical need for that. Stopping play whie the patient is being treated and then abandoning the game isn't in any way beneficial to the patient's chances of recovery. Sadly this poor chap died - it appears to have been a failure by the stewards to react quickly enough. But people get taken ill all the time - SJA people will rush to help someone who's fainted - should we stop play every time someone faints?

RIP the poor Orient fan.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
People get taken ill at football matches - that's one of the reasons why there are stewards. Sounds like the stewards in this case weren't doing a very goood job. Medical attention needs to be gt to the patient quickly, obviously, so if the medicss need to run across the pitch rather than round it, fine, stop the game and restart it with a drop ball.
Once somebody is being treated in the stand, why is there a need to stop the game? The medics job isn't any easier if play is stopped, there's simply no medical need for that. Stopping play whie the patient is being treated and then abandoning the game isn't in any way beneficial to the patient's chances of recovery. Sadly this poor chap died - it appears to have been a failure by the stewards to react quickly enough. But people get taken ill all the time - SJA people will rush to help someone who's fainted - should we stop play every time someone faints?

RIP the poor Orient fan.
It does sound in this instance as if the fan was having CPR right on the edge of the pitch. In those circumstances, trying to play on wasn't the wisest or most respectful decision but otherwise totally agree. That's a very unusual occurrence. Anyway, probably a debate for another time - not really one I intended to start.

Again, RIP to the fan and condolences to all concerned.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It does sound in this instance as if the fan was having CPR right on the edge of the pitch. In those circumstances, trying to play on wasn't the wisest or most respectful decision but otherwise totally agree. That's a very unusual occurrence. Anyway, probably a debate for another time - not really one I intended to start.

Again, RIP to the fan and condolences to all concerned.
It will be investigated at the Coroner’s inquest. The fans who were thrown out will also give evidence.

mile oak

May 21, 2023

Fixture to be replayed in full. Orient were 1-0 up in the 82th min match was abandoned. Is that right decision by EFL? I actually believe it is but I say unfortunately as I do not think any outcome is ever ideal.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tragic and obviously RIP to the fan.

Don’t want to be disrespectful in any way of course but…
I don’t get the circumstances here though and probably am not aware of the exact unfolding of the incident, but why so desperate to stop the game? And why didn’t it continue after once the patient was moved on to hospital. I guess they needed the medical team to help but they’d have gone into the stand and done that wouldn’t they? I know now in the prem they try to just continue the game. Seems a bit of a strange one.
I assume you now know a little more so surely you'll change your stance.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I assume you now know a little more so surely you'll change your stance.
Of course! I was more asking if anyone knew anymore on the circumstances as it appeared very odd. That was before any news about it came out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here