Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Open Training?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I went. I needed to go to the shop this week and noticed that the open training was happening today so decided to combine the two. I was hoping to see Colo but he wasn't there, or not that I saw (I didn't stay for the whole thing). Enciso and Mitoma were training though not with the main group. No sign of Pedro. It was all very detached from the people in the stand. Possibly it became more interactive after I left (speeches etc). TBH all a bit dull. Lots of running around and drills followed by a fairly energetic 7-a-side game for 15 mins or so, then a sort of attack Vs defence game. Roberto was there and seemed very engaged.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
I went. I needed to go to the shop this week and noticed that the open training was happening today so decided to combine the two. I was hoping to see Colo but he wasn't there, or not that I saw (I didn't stay for the whole thing). Enciso and Mitoma were training though not with the main group. No sign of Pedro. It was all very detached from the people in the stand. Possibly it became more interactive after I left (speeches etc). TBH all a bit dull. Lots of running around and drills followed by a fairly energetic 7-a-side game for 15 mins or so, then a sort of attack Vs defence game. Roberto was there and seemed very engaged.
Pretty much this. Went with friend and kids. Lots to do inside the lounges for the kids, football games, reptiles, face painting etc…. Adingra got clapped out with fireworks with his medals. Kids enjoyed the few hours and went to The Swan for lunch after which was nice.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yeah I went and loved it. But then that’s because I’m a football coaching nerd and I’m fascinated by training drills and tactics etc. The kids really enjoyed the whole thing though including all the activities inside. For what we paid - £10 for a family of four including parking I think it was a brilliant way to spend 4/5 hours in half term.

And despite the no selfies/autographs thing - both Solly and Joel spent ages doing this with the fans as they left which made my boys day. We already knew it but they are two absolute diamonds. I’m not saying other players didn’t do it by the way but they were the only two I saw.

Some things I took from the training session, most of which we knew already: Baleba struggled a bit and RDZ pulled him up a few times, Pascal is just class, Fati is a lethal finisher, JPVH should hopefully start scoring a lot headers from crosses soon, RDZ is the ultimate Alpha Male, no one is going to mess with him, he owns that training ground/stadium! 😂

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yep, I went. It was very different to last year, as @Colonel Mustard says, it was very detached. I was in the 'posh seats' of W1DH and it was only the top half open and W2. There was stuff to do for the younger kids, circus skills in Mayo Lounge, reptiles in the Feilder Lounge and a 'Disco' in the Harveys Lounge.
Not allowed to get signatures, that's why we were put so far back (even though when they stopped autographs 'anywhere',they said they'd be allowed on training days), I did read the pre stuff so I knew that wasn't happening but some kids with sharpie markers looked quite disappointed. I don't know how correct Jnr is on this but he thinks we're the only PL club to ban selfies and autographs, when we went last year I didn't even realise it was a thing on open training that they signed autographs, he took his (mine, washing mix up) shirt off to get it signed when we realised. They did hand out pre-printed 'signed sheets' but they ran out in the Mayo lounge so I went on a mission to find some for some random kids, across the lounges whilst seeing other people with loads. They need to be given out on entry, as it turned out they were giving them out at the exit but there was no communication about this, entry or exit, no letting adults walk around with loads & kids having none unless some random person searches the lounges for them.
It's interesting to see what they do in training, the Guard of Honour for Adringra was a nice touch. Nice to see Solly there in the guard but he obviously didn't train. No Pedro but I saw Jack on crutches near to the end so he must've been sitting in the managers seat. :smile:
There was a woman in W2 that must've shouted Adam (Lallana) at least 50 times when he was near, we were so grateful that he turned and waved at her that people applauded. No, I'm not sorry if you're the woman in question and are reading this... you were f**king annoying! :lolol:
Obviously it's the first time I've been in the Mayo lounge but is there only 2 bars to serve the people in that massive space?? I've never had a problem with pies in WSL but today the pie fell apart and I understand why the cardboard things are a bit s**t. It fell out of the sides onto my jeans, my coat & shoes. I'm sending PBOBE an invoice for cleaning costs. I reckon £1 will cover it. 😂

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yeah I went and loved it. But then that’s because I’m a football coaching nerd and I’m fascinated by training drills and tactics etc. The kids really enjoyed the whole thing though including all the activities inside. For what we paid - £10 for a family of four including parking I think it was a brilliant way to spend 4/5 hours in half term.

And despite the no selfies/autographs thing - both Solly and Joel spent ages doing this with the fans as they left which made my boys day. We already knew it but they are two absolute diamonds. I’m not saying other players didn’t do it by the way but they were the only two I saw.

Some things I took from the training session, most of which we knew already: Baleba struggled a bit and RDZ pulled him up a few times, Pascal is just class, Fati is a lethal finisher, JPVH should hopefully start scoring a lot headers from crosses soon, RDZ is the ultimate Alpha Male, no one is going to mess with him, he owns that training ground/stadium! 😂
Oh ffs I, sorry I mean Jnr, only wanted Solly's autograph!! Was that inside or outside? :lolol:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Accept why restrictions on autographs at games training etc However Games you can play anywhere and would think reason kids would like to attend a pre booked training seasion was to get selfies and autographs of players.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Accept why restrictions on autographs at games training etc However Games you can play anywhere and would think reason kids would like to attend a pre booked training seasion was to get selfies and autographs of players.
Whoever made that decision needs to look at themselves. Those kids are the next generation of fans. Wouldn’t happen in the EFL.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very much so!
I loved watching the training match he took.

Two things I enjoyed.

1. The player with the green bib who played for both sides. (If passed to, he had to pass back to a player on the team that passed to him).

2. They reduced the size of the playing area so much that there was very little space. It emulated a low block for each side. They needed to produce very, very rapid one tough passing to progress.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
I loved watching the training match he took.

Two things I enjoyed.

1. The player with the green bib who played for both sides. (If passed to, he had to pass back to a player on the team that passed to him).

2. They reduced the size of the playing area so much that there was very little space. It emulated a low block for each side. They needed to produce very, very rapid one tough passing to progress.
I thought the green bib player always joined the attacking side to ensure an overload?

I particularly enjoyed Groß in the role. Couple of times he looked like he'd had enough of the quality around him and calmly passed it into the net from the 'half way' line

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here