Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Open Letter to the squad

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Name one player that’s turned down a move from a club like ours to one of the big boys?
It just doesn’t happen.
Unless you are talking about the average man in the street then yes some might stay in their job even if it is less money. Elite sports men & women they went to play at the top level and earn as much money as possibleo ok in their short career.

Or any of the sports washing clubs or Spurs and definitely not Liverpool or basket case Man Utd :lolol:
Two have already been mentioned on here. Steve Bull and Matt le Tissier.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Loyalty is a one way street for football fans. If a player isn't quite up to it, we want them gone, or want a manager gone. We only demand loyalty when things are going well - that's not really loyalty.
Well yes... it's loyalty to the club rather than to it's constituent parts

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
……...or a desire to be the best you can (which is absolutely hardcoded in the mind of a footballer unless you’re Locadia), which means, usually, winning stuff, playing with the best players and under the best coaches. That inevitably means moving to a bigger club, and that inevitably pays more. Money/greed isn’t the main driver for most I reckon.
That wasnt his argument though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Any that played in the last 20 years ?
Quite possibly, but I do not have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the transfer dealings of every club and every player.

i think the main point,nthough, is that not every player is necessarily going to jump at the first offer that comes along just for the sake of it. There are those that are lucky enough to be courted by any number of clubs - Haaland, Bellingham and so on. There are others who might just get one chance - fair enough.

There are others who will be far more circumspect and take their time. Leandro Trossard is not exactly breaking the door down to escape, but could well/probably will go elsewhere when his contract is up……. And I for one would be very sorry to see him go. But that’s life, and the way BHAFC does things.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Well of course you can but why not earn more I’m sure the majority of people would do the same if we only had ten years to earn some top dollar.
Yes, I would, on my current salary, but if I were to earn a 'mere' £40K per week, for 10 years, I think I would consider other factors too, as £20M is a reasonable amount to earn, during that period.
Of course, if greed comes into it, then go for it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The money differential was no where near what it is now during their era.
It was still high though. I think Shearer went from something like £1-2k pw at Southampton to £10k pw at Blackburn. That then jumped to £40k or something when he joined Newcastle. They were still big multiples from what they were on. Bissouma has what, trebled his salary where as Shearer was probably 8x with one move and 4x with the next.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Name one player that’s turned down a move from a club like ours to one of the big boys?
It just doesn’t happen.
Unless you are talking about the average man in the street then yes some might stay in their job even if it is less money. Elite sports men & women want to play at the top level and earn as much money as possible in their short career.
Possibly Lewis Dunk.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Trossard speaking to Belgian papers:

The national team manager’s comments indicated the attacker should make a move away from The Amex. The player, however, shares a different view on this subject.

“If you score a hat-trick against Liverpool and score against Manchester City and Chelsea, isn’t that the level of the Champions League? I have shown that I can also perform at a high level against the world’s top players. And I can only show it to De Rode Duivels if he lets me play of course. I have always enjoyed the moments I had with the national team,” he stressed.

“If something interesting comes my way, I’ll listen. But I don’t have to leave. I am in a very good team, which also has the ambition to reach European football in the short term. I’m fine here,” he said.

“The context [wanting to take next step] is completely different. At Genk I was ‘only’ in Belgium – I say that with all due respect for the Belgian competition. Well, the world might look different after the World Cup. If there is concrete interest, you will hear it, surely?”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here