Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only Greer left now...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes yes yes I know there are others he bought like CMS etc. my point was that his best TEAM would have been that 11 and only Greer remains

I'm not arguing with your point, I agree we are significantly weaker than we have been. However, to include Lopez at right back in the "best team" is ridiculous. He only played about 4 games there when we had injuries. Your point would still have been fair if you'd said Bruno and Greer were the only ones left, assuming Buckley does go.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
What a team we had, with Gus at the helm we really could have done it. We played like a Premier League team that season and that's down to one man.

Oh well, onwards and slightly downwards.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I'm not arguing with your point, I agree we are significantly weaker than we have been. However, to include Lopez at right back in the "best team" is ridiculous. He only played about 4 games there when we had injuries. Your point would still have been fair if you'd said Bruno and Greer were the only ones left, assuming Buckley does go.

Agreed, I did shoehorn SD at right back to make the point have more impact, but when he did play there he played very well.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Agreed, I did shoehorn SD at right back to make the point have more impact, but when he did play there he played very well.

I think the point was still fair enough without him. What I will say to give a bit of perspective is that the Orlandi/Lopez of last season wouldn't be the same as the ones in this team. They both struggled, for different reasons, last season. Also, how often did we see a fully fit Vicente?

Ignoring that, we've still lost Kuszczak, Upson, Bridcutt, Barnes, Ulloa and possibly Buckley now and not replaced most of them.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What a team we had, with Gus at the helm we really could have done it. We played like a Premier League team that season and that's down to one man.

Oh well, onwards and slightly downwards.

Yeah, one man. Damn that speroni for his finger tip save.

Or did you mean the defender who cleared barnes's header off the line?

Or bridge for switching off for that cross?

Or Zaha for out playing bridge in that moment that made all the difference?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
We can all deliberately miss the point if we like, which, uncomfortable as it is, is that our first xi 18 months ago, in anyone's book is way better than what we put out Saturday and tonight. For the record, I am not a licker or a bedwetter, just a supporter.

Which at that snapshot in time, was the 2012/13 season where the wage bill at over £20m was approaching turnover, giving a £14m audited accounts loss. And Poyet fans tells us he was hard done by in allegedly TB blocking his moves for highly-sought-after Van Dijk and McCormack, which would have increased those losses, not that they wanted to join us. Those figures are not only prohibited now under FFP but completely unsustainable, with TB having to find the £14m from personal funds.

We've gone from a completely unendurable feast, to famine.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
From the team that Poyet built...

GK Kuszcack (Released)
RB Spanish Dave (Released)
CB Greer
CB Upson (Went to Leics)
LB Bridge (Loan expired)
CDM Bridcutt (3m to Sunderland)
CM Orlandi ( Released)
CM Vicente (Released)
LW Barnes (750k to Burnley)
RW Buckley (2.5m to Sunderland/WBA)
ST Ulloa (8m to Leics)

Barnsley to come in with 100k bid again?

Hang on, not having this entirely. Jury's still out after TWO games

GK Stocky -decent
RB Bruno -better
Cb Greer
Cb Hughes/Dunk -decent
Lb Ward -decent
Cdm Ince -decent
CM JFC - will probably never be as good as either
CM Crofts -decent
LW LuaLua -better
RW Solly -decent
ST CMS -decent

Will never replace Vicente.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom

GK Stocky -decent
RB Bruno -better
Cb Greer
Cb Hughes/Dunk -decent
Lb Ward -decent
Cdm Ince -decent
CM Crofts -decent
LW LuaLua -better
RW Solly -decent
ST CMS -decent

At no point did I compare that team to anything since... my thoughts were that that team, at that point in time was frankly very very good (if all fit and on form) - and that 10 members of it in a very short space of time (15 months) have left.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010

GK Stocky -decent
RB Bruno -better
Cb Greer
Cb Hughes/Dunk -decent
Lb Ward -decent
Cdm Ince -decent
CM Crofts -decent
LW LuaLua -better
RW Solly -decent
ST CMS -decent

Better than Barnes? RUBBISH

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
At no point did I compare that team to anything since... my thoughts were that that team, at that point in time was frankly very very good (if all fit and on form) - and that 10 members of it in a very short space of time (15 months) have left.

Don't look back in anger.

I heard you say.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Which at that snapshot in time, was the 2012/13 season where the wage bill at over £20m was approaching turnover, giving a £14m audited accounts loss. And Poyet fans tells us he was hard done by in allegedly TB blocking his moves for highly-sought-after Van Dijk and McCormack, which would have increased those losses, not that they wanted to join us. Those figures are not only prohibited now under FFP but completely unsustainable, with TB having to find the £14m from personal funds.

We've gone from a completely unendurable feast, to famine.

That's not totally correct. We all know that £14m loss included some money brought forward into that year to help us subsequently comply with FFP. So it's unfair to say it was a massive overspend on Gus's behalf, especially as we were repeatedly told last season that the playing budget was actually slightly higher than 2012/13. And one assumes it is at a similar level this year, seeing as the club's pronouncements on where we want to be haven't changed.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The second half of that season, once we signed Ulloa and Upson, was wonderful. Right up till the moment the last game kicked off.

I can't help thinking that was our big opportunity, *sigh*. The strongest squad we'd had for decades, playing great possession football with flair. If we'd had Leo from August we'd have walked it (the number of games we dominated in the first half of the season without winning was unreal). I think it'll be a while before we hit those heights again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's not totally correct. We all know that £14m loss included some money brought forward into that year to help us subsequently comply with FFP. So it's unfair to say it was a massive overspend on Gus's behalf, especially as we were repeatedly told last season that the playing budget was actually slightly higher than 2012/13. And one assumes it is at a similar level this year, seeing as the club's pronouncements on where we want to be haven't changed.

That is a fairer picture. The £20million loss included redundancy payments to 18 staff who were laid off, installing the electronic advertising boards (over a million) and other expenditure, which as you say was brought forward before the first accounts for FFP were due in.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He only started to find form when he was slotted in at right back.

My point was that only 2 seasons ago that team would have been our best or close to it that we had out of Poyets squad, and now only 1 of those remains for various reasons.

It is not a criticism as we may bring in players of similar or higher quality who surpass what that team achieved - I just thought it was interesting to see the team (clearly not!)

Has Buckley left too then? ... or have l missed something?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here